Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Florida---- (world's heaviest?)-White Pelis are bigger th...

Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Florida---- (world's heaviest?)-White Pelis are bigger than Sea Gulls?

Gee, ya think? .
Especially when they stand together, and especially that one really big pelican on the right.
Washed out frontal light, but the birds don't give a flock, and Florida's Everglades can sometimes limit your movement, and on a sunny afternoon, you pays your money- you takes your chance.

Charlie Shugart 2014

Florida Everglades- Pelicans

Edited on May 14, 2014 at 05:12 AM · View previous versions

May 13, 2014 at 03:18 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Florida---- (world's heaviest?)-White Pelis are bigger than Sea Gulls?

IIRC, the rangers at Ding Darling told me the white pelican is the second largest bird capable of flight in the US.

May 13, 2014 at 04:40 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Florida---- (world's heaviest?)-White Pelis are bigger than Sea Gulls?

runamuck wrote:
IIRC, the rangers at Ding Darling told me the white pelican is the second largest bird capable of flight in the US.

After seeing them at Florida, and seeing Trumpeter swans in Alaska, I became curious about the question of the heaviest birds capable of flight. As memory serves, a large male trumpeter tends to be a bit heavier than a large white pelican- but there are some birds from other parts of the world that might also be in contention.
Charlie

May 13, 2014 at 05:34 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Florida---- (world's heaviest?)-White Pelis are bigger than Sea Gulls?

Good side-by-side comparison. Now you just need to get a condor and a swan in the pic.

May 13, 2014 at 12:18 PM
BeeBalm
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Florida---- (world's heaviest?)-White Pelis are bigger than Sea Gulls?

Such a beautiful photo Charlie!
BeeBalm

May 13, 2014 at 12:42 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Florida---- (world's heaviest?)-White Pelis are bigger than Sea Gulls?

I like the pano format of the shot, Charlie. It also has a peaceful feel
Socarte

May 13, 2014 at 01:56 PM
Howard Kearley
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Florida---- (world's heaviest?)-White Pelis are bigger than Sea Gulls?

Lovely shot

Howard

May 13, 2014 at 07:03 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Florida---- (world's heaviest?)-White Pelis are bigger than Sea Gulls?

A neat shot Charlie ~ Ron

May 13, 2014 at 08:54 PM
Thomas Sanders
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Florida---- (world's heaviest?)-White Pelis are bigger than Sea Gulls?

Framed up nice Charlie and you got them all facing the same direction!

Tom

May 13, 2014 at 09:03 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Florida---- (world's heaviest?)-White Pelis are bigger than Sea Gulls?

Thanks Ken, Bee, Socarte (sic ), Howard, Ron and Tom.
I finally figured out how to get all the birds in a frame to face the same way- and that was by controlling the direction of the wind.
My next project is figuring out HOW to control the direction of the wind. .
Condors are big, and they certainly have the wingspan, but I don't think they have the body mass to be serious contenders.
Any other possibilities that really fly? (Gobblers can't sustain flight .)
Charlie

May 13, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Thomas Sanders
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Florida---- (world's heaviest?)-White Pelis are bigger than Sea Gulls?

Charlie Shugart wrote:
Thanks Ken, Bee, Socarte (sic ), Howard, Ron and Tom.
I finally figured out how to get all the birds in a frame to face the same way- and that was by controlling the direction of the wind.
My next project is figuring out HOW to control the direction of the wind. .
Condors are big, and they certainly have the wingspan, but I don't think they have the body mass to be serious contenders.
Any other possibilities that really fly? (Gobblers can't sustain flight .)
Charlie

Kori Bustard maybe

Tom

May 14, 2014 at 12:19 AM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Florida---- (world's heaviest?)-White Pelis are bigger than Sea Gulls?

Very nice Sir Charles

Ted

May 14, 2014 at 12:24 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Florida---- (world's heaviest?)-White Pelis are bigger than Sea Gulls?

nice one Charlie

May 14, 2014 at 12:32 AM
DonGut
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Florida---- (world's heaviest?)-White Pelis are bigger than Sea Gulls?

Kori Bustard. World's heaviest flying bird at 18 kg (40 lbs). I've heard as high as 20 kg. Nice flock of the less well known white peli,!! Don

May 14, 2014 at 04:24 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Florida---- (world's heaviest?)-White Pelis are bigger than Sea Gulls?

Thanks again, Tom- and also Ted, Kenny, and Don.
I just did some additional research, and the kori bustard might well be the correct answer.
HOWEVER:
Other seemingly authoritative sources gave different answers.
I guess it depends on a couple of measuring criteria:
1. Males only?
2. Males and females averaged?
3. Biggest single bird weighed?
4. How many constitute a reliable sampling number?
Etc.
My final opinion is this. I don't know .
But IMO the contenders are kori bustard, great bustard, trumpeter swan, Andean condor and the Dalmatian white pelican.
The weight? Too many variables for me to state a strong opinion- but somewhere around 40 lbs (plus or minus).
Charlie

May 14, 2014 at 05:09 AM
BeeBalm
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Florida---- (world's heaviest?)-White Pelis are bigger than Sea Gulls?

BeeBalm wrote:
Such a beautiful photo Charlie!
BeeBalm

9/16/14

Hello PhotoFriends!

Here is our Dearest Charlie's last thread to us all here at FM N&W on May 12, 2014.

I, for one, will miss him. he always had a kind word and had so many fantastic travel photos.

I hope he continues to take photos in the sky.

I am sure his loss means much to many of you.

Let's please commemorate this loss to our community here, on his last thread, the last N&W picture he posted

Dear Charlie,
You made me in stitches laughing on my sofa that I had to hold my side I laughed so much
You always were so kind to me and you were such a kind sweet man.
I miss you Charlie!
RIP my friend.
Bee

Sep 30, 2014 at 12:49 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Florida---- (world's heaviest?)-White Pelis are bigger than Sea Gulls?

BB, thanks for resurrecting this last post of Charlie's....his personality came through so well in his posts that even though almost none of us met him in person we felt like we knew him as a long time friend. While he only recently got in to the "new" technology of digital photography it is obvious that he embraced social media before it was fashionable and touched many of us with his images and words.
Eric

Sep 30, 2014 at 01:54 PM
acjd
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Florida---- (world's heaviest?)-White Pelis are bigger than Sea Gulls?

Oh, so sad. Charlie had so many travels and was so kind.

RIP

Sep 30, 2014 at 02:19 PM
Tom In Arizona
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Florida---- (world's heaviest?)-White Pelis are bigger than Sea Gulls?

Hi BB...

Thanks for bringing Charlie's last post to our attention.

Like many others who have commented on Charlie, I too was sad to learn of his death. I did a little Googling on Charlie and found a photo of him at the following link. His bio also gives you a little background on his life and his writing. The Internet is a wonderful thing that keeps a little of the spirit alive in everyone who participates.

The FM community has lost a good one in Charlie, but his posts will forever remain part of our family.

http://www.jacketflap.com/profile.asp?member=charliejj

Tom

Sep 30, 2014 at 02:43 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Florida---- (world's heaviest?)-White Pelis are bigger than Sea Gulls?

Thanx BB for bringing this up again. A nice set of comments on a typical "Charlie post".

I'll miss you friend ~ Ron

Sep 30, 2014 at 03:30 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password