New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2014 · A few new birds with my 150-600mm

dsr1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A few new birds with my 150-600mm

I've been busy for a couple of weeks and didn't get to used my 150-600 with my 7D. I sure did missi it. Hope you enjoy.

© dsr1 2014

First Green Heron I've seen at the lake this year,, Must be about to start breeding here.

© dsr1 2014

Cought the sun clistening off this female Grekel and thouth.how pretty she is.

© dsr1 2014

Resident Blue Jay.

May 12, 2014 at 04:54 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A few new birds with my 150-600mm

I have the 100-400. I have the 7D. I have the lens on backorder. I have been a bit uneasy about IQ but I dont shoot birds in flight.
The first image is especially reassuring. Quite nicely detailed, sharp. And I am pleased to see they are at 600, since the main reason for me to add this lens is the 500+ range.
Tripod? Monopod? Hand-held?
Scott

May 12, 2014 at 06:52 PM
dsr1
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A few new birds with my 150-600mm

sbeme wrote:
I have the 100-400. I have the 7D. I have the lens on backorder. I have been a bit uneasy about IQ but I dont shoot birds in flight.
The first image is especially reassuring. Quite nicely detailed, sharp. And I am pleased to see they are at 600, since the main reason for me to add this lens is the 500+ range.
Tripod? Monopod? Hand-held?
Scott

Hi Scott, Thanks for taking the time to comment. These are hand held although I was leaning on a tree on the last two. The first was out my pick-up window.. Better than carrying around a tripod in my book though.

May 12, 2014 at 10:43 PM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A few new birds with my 150-600mm

DSL1

I hope you don't mind my adding this to your thread, but it seems on topic. I just posted some photos of birds taken with this lens in the Nature and Wildlife forum. I was happy with the way it performed for more static shots. I will be sending it in for the firmware update in a few weeks.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1297989

Thanks
Steve

Jun 01, 2014 at 10:36 AM
DmitriM
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A few new birds with my 150-600mm

Is there a reason I've yet to see a sharp image from Tamron 150-600? Is the lens that bad?

Surprised many went for it recently instead of the Sigma OS 50-500 which seems to be much more superior based on the images of others and my own experience with it.

Jun 01, 2014 at 01:38 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A few new birds with my 150-600mm

DmitriM wrote:
Is there a reason I've yet to see a sharp image from Tamron 150-600? Is the lens that bad?

Surprised many went for it recently instead of the Sigma OS 50-500 which seems to be much more superior based on the images of others and my own experience with it.

+1

Jun 01, 2014 at 02:14 PM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A few new birds with my 150-600mm

Edited on Jun 01, 2014 at 05:48 PM · View previous versions

Jun 01, 2014 at 02:20 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A few new birds with my 150-600mm

DmitriM wrote:

I dunno, sharpness is relative, and who said things have to be razor-sharp, wow-this-is-totally-a-digital-file in appearance?

Why is it that wet plate photography is making a comeback (supposedly), film photography is hanging around, and people pay considerable money for software to simulate defective film and/or camera bodies?

I'd argue it's because sharpness, as a metric on its own, is in no way the end-all, be-all criterium to strive towards...even in wildlife photography.

Now, that doesn't mean I hate sharp images - I love seeing PetKal's or Monkey's or ImageMaster's bird shots in all their great details.

But it's also nice to have a more "realistic" image sometimes - something one might imagine seeing through binoculars or from a film camera.

The first two images from the OP are like this (third one I just don't like at all), and some in the linked thread from another responder are like this as well.

Not too digital (maybe translate that as "pleasant feel"), not too blurry. Long lens for not a lot of dough. For some people this is very good

edit - And post processing prowess can go a *long* way to helping perceptual sharpness. meaning the owners of the lens so far might or might not have learned the optimal way of detail extraction with this lens.

Jun 01, 2014 at 02:21 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A few new birds with my 150-600mm

I don't consider blurry images as "realistic", unless you have a problem with your eyesight. My digital images are no sharper than my film shots were.

Recent shots by TeamSpeed with the Sigma 50-500 look sharper and better to me than the three images above, and he was using a 1.4x TC on his shots.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1294842/1

Jun 01, 2014 at 04:20 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A few new birds with my 150-600mm

Imagemaster wrote:
I don't consider blurry images as "realistic", unless you have a problem with your eyesight. My digital images are no sharper than my film shots were.

Recent shots by TeamSpeed with the Sigma 50-500 look sharper and better to me than the three images above, and he was using a 1.4x TC on his shots.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1294842/1

Nor do I. I'd consider the OP's first two shots well-focused, his third blurry. Are you contending the first two shots are also blurry?

There's a difference between "blurry" and "not quite as sharp as a $12K prime", which I'm sure you're well aware.

And my corrected eyesight (slight astigmatism) is 20/15, viewing on both a calibrated Dell 24" as well as a MPB retina. I just don't see the complaints.

I mean, i'm not saying OP's images are super-sharp, but they're a long way from "blurry" (first two).

Jun 01, 2014 at 04:27 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A few new birds with my 150-600mm

Another factor we need to take into account with *any* lens is how much are we cropping?

The Sigma 50-500 shots do look good, but if they're from up close then it's not a problem.
Heck, even the Panasonic 100-300 produces excellent images from fairly close up, which might be the situation with zoo shots (especially peacocks) or captive birds.

Crop a a long-distance shot and things can turn drastically for some lenses...the aforementioned Panasonic lens would practically turn to poop after about 200 feet.

Jun 01, 2014 at 04:33 PM
DmitriM
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A few new birds with my 150-600mm

I've been using the original Bigma since 2007 and then the OS since it came out and so far it seems the images are sharper than anything I've seen so far from anything posted in this forum or on review sites. eg.
eg.http://www.dmitrimarkine.com/50500.jpg (about 50% crop)

Sigma is only a few hundred $ more expensive. I just can't see how a few hundred $ difference is worth such big difference in IQ.
Certainly, film does not mean blurry so buying a cheaper lens to get "film feel" seems like a crazy idea. What's next, shooting with kit lenses because they give better film quality?

Jun 01, 2014 at 04:41 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A few new birds with my 150-600mm

cputeq wrote:
I'd consider the OP's first two shots well-focused, his third blurry. Are you contending the first two shots are also blurry?

There's a difference between "blurry" and "not quite as sharp as a $12K prime", which I'm sure you're well aware.

I did not say the first shots were blurry, did I? I said Recent shots by TeamSpeed with the Sigma 50-500 look sharper and better to me than the three images above, and he was using a 1.4x TC on his shots.

And the Sigma 50-500 is not a $12K prime. The 100-400 is also not a $12K prime, and it gives me better results, even with a Canon 1.4x TC stacked with a Kenko 1.4xTC:

Jun 01, 2014 at 05:30 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A few new birds with my 150-600mm

Way to come and piss on someone else's thread. Well done boys.

Jun 01, 2014 at 06:41 PM
gocolts
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A few new birds with my 150-600mm

All the above back and forth proves is that technique makes a hell of a lot more difference than anything else. See Petkal's post today (yesterday?) about the techniques he uses for BIF, which closely resembles what I should be doing for panning shots at racetracks.

Sure, he's using $15k worth of gear, but the reality is with good technique he could take this Tamron 150-600 and 7D out and get good results as well.

Half the reason you see excellent shots with the "big whites" is because they're awesome, but the other half is because the photographers who buy them typically are fairly serious about their craft and have a good idea how to use their gear to it's potential.

Jun 01, 2014 at 06:52 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A few new birds with my 150-600mm

Imagemaster wrote:
I did not say the first shots were blurry, did I?

Fair enough, I read into your post to be pertaining to the OP's images (or an earlier thread), not my reference to older photographic technology

Jun 01, 2014 at 07:43 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A few new birds with my 150-600mm

chez wrote:

No pissing intended - I'm so dehydrated right now, I have none to spare

Jun 01, 2014 at 07:44 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · A few new birds with my 150-600mm

cputeq wrote:
No pissing intended - I'm so dehydrated right now, I have none to spare

Time for a brewsky then. It's no fun being dehydrated.

Jun 01, 2014 at 09:08 PM
DmitriM
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · A few new birds with my 150-600mm

chez wrote:

If he wanted feedback on his images there's Wildlife section just for that!
This section is for discussion of Canon gear,issues,etc.

Jun 01, 2014 at 09:16 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · A few new birds with my 150-600mm

chez wrote:

This coming from the pissing expert.

The Canon Forum happens to be for the discussion of Canon-related gear. Members are free to comment both positively and negatively. I guess according to you, one should only post positive comments about everything.
The OP apparently posted his images on this forum to show the results of his Tamron 150-600. Anyone else has the right to comment on those images and express their views on the quality of those images and to compare with any other Canon-releated gear.

If you don't like that, you can PO.

Jun 01, 2014 at 09:16 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.