Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              8      
       10       11       end

Announced: EF 16-35mm f/4L IS and EF-S 10-18mm lenses

chez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #1 · p.9 #1 · Announced: EF 16-35mm f/4L IS and EF-S 10-18mm lenses

skibum5 wrote:

So you think great so much better! They made it constant aperture and now you are stuck with it at f/5.6 ALL the time across the range. Now that is progress!!

I mean come on, how would 70-300L be better as a constant f/5.6 than an f/4-f/5.6 variable?? (and again do NOT say they should have just made it constant f/4, because that is NOT possible. It would have been a giant 100-400L+ sized lens and a totally different lens.)

Have you ever heard anyone say the old 100-300L was so great compared to the variable 75/100-300 lenses because only it
...Show more

Again...like I said, I manually set exposures so a lens that changes apertures will not work...simple as that. Not too hard to grasp is it?

May 14, 2014 at 02:08 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #2 · p.9 #2 · Announced: EF 16-35mm f/4L IS and EF-S 10-18mm lenses

I manually set exposures so a lens that changes apertures will not work...simple as that. Not too hard to grasp is it?

I manually set exposures and my zoom lens without a constant max aperture works just fine. I use the camera's meter and keep track of things.

A camera is like a musical instrument. Get to know it.

May 14, 2014 at 04:52 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.9 #3 · p.9 #3 · Announced: EF 16-35mm f/4L IS and EF-S 10-18mm lenses

Monito wrote:
I manually set exposures and my zoom lens without a constant max aperture works just fine. I use the camera's meter and keep track of things.

A camera is like a musical instrument. Get to know it.

Oh I know the camera and I'd rather not have to watch the meter after I have manually set the
exposure unless the lighting changes. I'd much rather concentrate on the subject rather than have to look at the meter or be aware if the lens decides to change apertures on me.

If variable apertures works for you, That's fine, but please keep your condescending remarks to yourself. Not everyone is as great as you!

May 14, 2014 at 05:29 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.9 #4 · p.9 #4 · Announced: EF 16-35mm f/4L IS and EF-S 10-18mm lenses

chez wrote:
Oh I know the camera and I'd rather not have to watch the meter after I have manually set the
exposure unless the lighting changes. I'd much rather concentrate on the subject rather than have to look at the meter or be aware if the lens decides to change apertures on me.

If variable apertures works for you, That's fine, but please keep your condescending remarks to yourself. Not everyone is as great as you!

Wait a minute, you keep the exposure set and wait for the light to change?

May 14, 2014 at 05:38 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.9 #5 · p.9 #5 · Announced: EF 16-35mm f/4L IS and EF-S 10-18mm lenses

chez wrote:

If the lighting does not change and the lens does not change, then no need to change the exposure. If you have time to change the lens you can check the meter. Especially when making your landscapes with your Sony. If you don't have time to check, then put it on P or Av or P with exposure bias (that's as good as M if the lighting doesn't change).

"rather not watch the meter" is not nearly the same as "will not work ... simple as that".

So you'd rather not watch the meter. Okay. But, "condescending"?? "Not everyone is as great as you!"?? You don't like the dead neutrally delivered advice so you make a personal attack on the messenger. I even removed the name from the quote to ensure that it was as neutral as possible.

May 14, 2014 at 05:39 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.9 #6 · p.9 #6 · Announced: EF 16-35mm f/4L IS and EF-S 10-18mm lenses

chez wrote:
Again...like I said, I manually set exposures so a lens that changes apertures will not work...simple as that. Not too hard to grasp is it?

Umm as I said, just LOCK the aperture to f/5.6. You can do that easily enough in Av or M mode.
So you lock the 70-300L to f/5.6 and there is your constant aperture lens.

And don't cry about f/5.6, since this is a compact lens, it's not like they cheaped out by not letting it do constant f/4. Constant f/4 is NOT possible at that size and weight (other than by using some weirdo DO type technology ). This lens would either be variable f/4-f/5.6 or locked constant f/5.6. At least this way you can lock it constant f/5.6 when needed, BUT still have the chance to use under f/5.6 at the mid and wide end when you can handle variable aperture.

And again if you wanted it to be faster than f/4 all the way, this was never the lens for you, you'd have needed some 100-400 or larger type beast of a lens.

Anyway back to the 16-35 f/4 IS this is getting to be too much about other stuff.

May 14, 2014 at 06:14 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.9 #7 · p.9 #7 · Announced: EF 16-35mm f/4L IS and EF-S 10-18mm lenses

skibum5 wrote:
Umm as I said, just LOCK the aperture to f/5.6. You can do that easily enough in Av or M mode.
So you lock the 70-300L to f/5.6 and there is your constant aperture lens.

And don't cry about f/5.6, since this is a compact lens, it's not like they cheaped out by not letting it do constant f/4. Constant f/4 is NOT possible at that size and weight (other than by using some weirdo DO type technology ). This lens would either be variable f/4-f/5.6 or locked constant f/5.6. At least this way you can lock it constant f/5.6 when needed,
...Show more

This entire discussion was about the 16-35 f4 zoom which you would like to have it extended to 16-40 with a variable aperture...which I basically said I have no use for making it variable if you only gain 5mm on the long end. I understand your persistence at locking it in at f5.6....but why would I pay for the f4 lens and only be able to use it at 5.6? Sounds kind of dumb to me.

As is, the lens looks great with it being a constant f4 and really people will buy this lens more for its wide abilities not for the long end which most likely is covered by multiple other lens. If anything, I'd rather have seen Canon head the other direction and build a 14-24 f4 lens.

May 14, 2014 at 06:27 PM
Alex Nail
• • • •
p.9 #8 · p.9 #8 · Announced: EF 16-35mm f/4L IS and EF-S 10-18mm lenses

If anyone is interested I've put an MTF comparison on my website that looks at the 16-35 at 16mm

http://www.alexnail.com/blog/reviews/canon-16-35-f4l-is-usm-mtfs-vs-the-16-35-f2-8l/

May 14, 2014 at 07:26 PM
Mike K
• • • •
p.9 #9 · p.9 #9 · Announced: EF 16-35mm f/4L IS and EF-S 10-18mm lenses

Your comparison makes an excellent point that the new 16-35 f4 zoom is expected to be stronger where previous Canon UWA zooms were weakest, in the extreme edges and corners of the frame. Canon MTFs are theoretical, not measured and who knows what level of manufacturing QC Canon will provide on this new lens? Assuming it is comparable to other L series lenses (and why not?) it would make the other UWA Canon zooms largely obsolete. However for several decades the rap on Canon systems were their lack of performance with UWA lenses. This should be a big step to address that criticism.

For specialized applications like astrophotography, where the extra stop in speed is an advantage, there would still be a place for a f2.8 UWA lens. Real lenses will be needed to evaluate other lens characteristics not in MTF charts: "Missing lens characteristics include distortion, chromatic aberration, flare and vignetting."
Mike K

May 14, 2014 at 08:44 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.9 #10 · p.9 #10 · Announced: EF 16-35mm f/4L IS and EF-S 10-18mm lenses

chez wrote:
This entire discussion was about the 16-35 f4 zoom which you would like to have it extended to 16-40 with a variable aperture...which I basically said I have no use for making it variable if you only gain 5mm on the long end. I understand your persistence at locking it in at f5.6....but why would I pay for the f4 lens and only be able to use it at 5.6? Sounds kind of dumb to me.

As is, the lens looks great with it being a constant f4 and really people will buy this lens more for its wide abilities not
...Show more

40-50mm

who says you can only use it at f/5.6 if it is variable? YOU are the one wanting to pay for a lens and be locked into the slowest end. THAT sounds dumb to me, if anything. As I said if the lens was to perform faster at the long end it would be a different, more expensive, larger lens, in all cases.

Yeah other stuff does cover it, but that means carrying three instead of two lenses, but listen, not end of the world.

If you don't like that it slid to f/4.5 at 40mm and maybe f/5 at 45mm and don't wanna lock into f/5, then just use it in the 16-35mm range and it stays f/4

Anyway, since it turns out to be internal zooming, it is possible that it might not have been able to extend past 35mm without being a total redesign and larger and heavier. (unless it's a fake internal zoom like 17-40).

And listen, it should be a great lens to have. I've already pre-ordered it.

Edited on May 14, 2014 at 10:48 PM · View previous versions

May 14, 2014 at 08:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Alex Nail
• • • •
p.9 #11 · p.9 #11 · Announced: EF 16-35mm f/4L IS and EF-S 10-18mm lenses

Mike K wrote:
For specialized applications like astrophotography, where the extra stop in speed is an advantage, there would still be a place for a f2.8 UWA lens.
Mike K

Yes if this lens is the step change it appears to be then I believe landscape photographers will switch to this lens plus a 2.8 lens for astro. Even that could be short lived though if we keep seeing improvements in ISO performance and noise reduction software!

May 14, 2014 at 09:58 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.9 #12 · p.9 #12 · Announced: EF 16-35mm f/4L IS and EF-S 10-18mm lenses

Mike K wrote:
For specialized applications like astrophotography, where the extra stop in speed is an advantage, there would still be a place for a f2.8 UWA lens. Real lenses will be needed to evaluate other lens characteristics not in MTF charts: "Missing lens characteristics include distortion, chromatic aberration, flare and vignetting."
Mike K

Yes, however, the 16-35 f/2.8L II's corner performance is mediocre @16mm wide open. I would prefer doubling the ISO at f/4 if the new lens is that good wide open based on the theoretical MTF charts.

May 14, 2014 at 10:47 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.9 #13 · p.9 #13 · Announced: EF 16-35mm f/4L IS and EF-S 10-18mm lenses

sivrajbm wrote:
Why is there no Hybrid IS on the 16-35/4 like the 24-70/4

Because it's not a macro lens and only does 0.23x. Then again the macro mode on the 24-70 is so useless it's not a macro lens either.

May 14, 2014 at 11:24 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.9 #14 · p.9 #14 · Announced: EF 16-35mm f/4L IS and EF-S 10-18mm lenses

Any word about weather sealing on the f4L?

May 14, 2014 at 11:28 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.9 #15 · p.9 #15 · Announced: EF 16-35mm f/4L IS and EF-S 10-18mm lenses

dhphoto wrote:
Then you have a particularly poor 17-40L or you are prone to hyperbole.

The 17-40L is a perfectly good (to very good) lens if you stop it down a bit, which is actually true of most wideangle lenses, especially zooms.

My 17-40L is one of the earlier ones, which I bought 6 months after they were released. I think it's a great lens and certainly one of the two or 3 best values L lenses they make. Mine's pretty good in the corners on FF and I've never had anybody look at a image and say well that's a disappointing lens.

Having said that, this new lens looks to finally have answered our prayers of a high quality UWA from Canon. MTF's are great and the shot in the pdf brochure was wide open and showed excellent performance across the frame. Add in IS and a reasonable price and I finally have a reason to sell my beloved 17-40. My only wish was they they had kept the 40mm FL.

May 14, 2014 at 11:29 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.9 #16 · p.9 #16 · Announced: EF 16-35mm f/4L IS and EF-S 10-18mm lenses

Fred Miranda wrote:
I would prefer doubling the ISO at f/4 if the new lens is that good wide open based on the theoretical MTF charts.

Yup, me too. I recently sold my f2.8L II due to dissatisfaction so I am very interested in this. If those corners, and overall sharpness, are much improved I'll be very happy.

May 14, 2014 at 11:30 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.9 #17 · p.9 #17 · Announced: EF 16-35mm f/4L IS and EF-S 10-18mm lenses

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Agreed. You know it may sound strange, but the range 16 to 35 often seemed quite short to me - that extra makes a real difference.

May 14, 2014 at 11:32 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.9 #18 · p.9 #18 · Announced: EF 16-35mm f/4L IS and EF-S 10-18mm lenses

If it's indeed a 4-stop image stabilization, that means we would be able to handhold it @16mm for 1 second!!

May 14, 2014 at 11:33 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.9 #19 · p.9 #19 · Announced: EF 16-35mm f/4L IS and EF-S 10-18mm lenses

Paul Mo wrote:
Any word about weather sealing on the f4L?

Canon website:
Highly resistant to dust and water intrusion, enabling shooting even in harsh conditions**.

May 14, 2014 at 11:33 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.9 #20 · p.9 #20 · Announced: EF 16-35mm f/4L IS and EF-S 10-18mm lenses

pipspeak wrote:
Surely f/2.8 is f/2.8, regardless of how close one focuses.

In a macro lens the effective aperture is related to the magnification m via

Feff = F*(m+1)

so as you focus closer the effective aperture gets dramatically smaller. On the MP-E 65 shooting at 5x at say f/8 gives and effective aperture of f/48!

May 14, 2014 at 11:34 PM
       10       11       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

10       11       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password