Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              10      
       end

Announced: EF 16-35mm f/4L IS and EF-S 10-18mm lenses

Paul Mo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #1 · Announced: EF 16-35mm f/4L IS and EF-S 10-18mm lenses

Tareq wrote:
Well, those brands don't give us any rest or breath when they announce new gear every 1-3 months,

Buy quality, get off the treadmill.

Tareq wrote:
...it is like they try to tease us to replace our old gear,

Keep an eye on what's happening, but ignore them.

May 21, 2014 at 02:13 PM
Tareq
• •
p.11 #2 · Announced: EF 16-35mm f/4L IS and EF-S 10-18mm lenses

Paul Mo wrote:

Keep an eye on what's happening, but ignore them.

Well, you just said spot on, i bought some quality gear and ignore what is new, and i upgrade only when i can or need or saved budget but not always, you are right, we shouldn't go with everything they release new.

May 21, 2014 at 04:23 PM
John Daniel
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #3 · Announced: EF 16-35mm f/4L IS and EF-S 10-18mm lenses

Ordered mine at the announcement based on MTF charts(and sold me f/2.8L II- I do landscapes) and I did well:

I just read a review on the French magazine "Chasseur d'images" : they tested on the 5D III the new 16-35mm f/4L IS (DXO TECH) as very sharp center to corner at all apertures with a minuscule (read invisible to the eye) loss of sharpness in the corners at f/4. IS gain is 4 stops. The strongest distortion (1%) is at 16mm. Chromatic aberration is practically non existent. It's big though, size wise.

A nice little jewel...

JD

Quote Like

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:02 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #4 · Announced: EF 16-35mm f/4L IS and EF-S 10-18mm lenses

pipspeak wrote:
...ultrawide zooms having non-sealed front elements. Is the 17-40 the same?

Yes.

melcat wrote:
The published MTF doesn't give performance in the middle of the zoom range. We saw with the 24-70mm f/4 IS that the MTF was silent about the performance sag @50mm...

The kerfuffle about that was more in photo forums than among reviewers or those reporting on photographic results with the lens. The use of the (literally correct, I suppose, from one point of view) term "sag" to describe the lens's performance at 50mm suggests a problem that isn't actually there.

Basically, what it amounted to was that the uniformly excellent tested performance of the lens was slightly less excellent but still very, very good at 50mm. (Unless you imagine a lens that does not differ in its performance characteristics in any way at different focal lengths and apertures basically the "impossible lens" a reviewer or forum poster can always write "performance is lower at [measurement X]," but this is basically meaningless.

Paul Mo wrote:

Yup. I'd add, "buy carefully and make sure that you are buying things you actually need."

Dan

Jun 14, 2014 at 01:59 PM
melcat
• • •
p.11 #5 · Announced: EF 16-35mm f/4L IS and EF-S 10-18mm lenses

gdanmitchell wrote:
The kerfuffle about that was more in photo forums than among reviewers or those reporting on photographic results with the lens. The use of the (literally correct, I suppose, from one point of view) term "sag" to describe the lens's performance at 50mm suggests a problem that isn't actually there.

I wrote that a month ago, and what I was saying was that the MTF alone was not a reliable guide to performance (because Canon only publish them for the extreme focal lengths on zooms), and that we would have to wait until there were independent tests and samples. These are now becoming available, so the point is moot.

Jun 15, 2014 at 03:47 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password