Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · Is it nuts I still use Rebel XT?

johndierks
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is it nuts I still use Rebel XT?

I bought a rebel XT in 2006 before a trip and have been using it ever since. It treats me right and has always been a sturdy little happy camera, despite some long hiatuses in photography.

I was thinking the other day it's probably has nearly no resale value, and that a bunch of its newer siblings are probably obsolete as well.

I'm curious what I might get out of either upgrading to a new EFS body, or finding another older body that I could upgrade to for cheap?

May 12, 2014 at 12:07 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is it nuts I still use Rebel XT?

How much do you want to invest in your upgrading initiative?

May 12, 2014 at 12:13 PM
johndierks
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is it nuts I still use Rebel XT?

Hmm, say $500 or under.

May 12, 2014 at 12:15 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is it nuts I still use Rebel XT?

I still have mine, though since i bought a 5D a three years ago i admit i don't use it much any more. It's a good little camera at low ISO though, and I certainly got a lot of good photos out of mine.

For sure it is practically worthless financially speaking, so you might as well keep it. I've been tempted to turn mine into walkaround camera with a pancake lens on it, as it still gives better IQ than almost any P&S out there. I've also wondered about replacing it with a 550D (T2i to non europeans) for lightweight hiking purposes.

I don't think you are nuts for still using it. In actual fact you might be the sanest person here - you bought a camera that works well for you and didn't upgrade just for the sake of it.

I can say that moving to a 5D was a really good upgrade for me. With used prices now, that option will cost you next to nothing. If you want to stick to the EF-S format i think your choices are enormous - 50D, 60D, 70D, 7D are all good, and the used market is probably awash with 18MP Rebels (T2i and later) at low prices.

May 12, 2014 at 12:23 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is it nuts I still use Rebel XT?

johndierks wrote:
I bought a rebel XT in 2006 before a trip and have been using it ever since. It treats me right and has always been a sturdy little happy camera, despite some long hiatuses in photography.

I was thinking the other day it's probably has nearly no resale value, and that a bunch of its newer siblings are probably obsolete as well.

I'm curious what I might get out of either upgrading to a new EFS body, or finding another older body that I could upgrade to for cheap?

It's one of the most difficult decisions you can make with this stuff.

The XT was and is a very capable camera, I had one and used it a lot. In RAW with decent lenses the results were very good indeed, but times have really moved on and even an ancient Xsi/450D has better IQ, liveview, better LCD etc.

If it does what you need then fine, if you can afford to keep it as a backup and get a newer model then better still. If you do upgrade remember the 18 meg APS-C Canon sensor was used in loads of cameras (550D, 600D, 650D, 7D, 60D) so the IQ will be the essentially same and only the features were upgraded. I have kept my T2i/550D for just this reason, it's worth little but the IQ is excellent (by APS-C standards)

Edited on May 12, 2014 at 12:46 PM · View previous versions

May 12, 2014 at 12:45 PM
codyconway
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is it nuts I still use Rebel XT?

sl1 should also be worth mentioning simply because its a newer style body, small, and has the (next to) latest sensor in it. All for around 450 new right now. I picked one up for the better half, and she loves it. I messed around with it, and its decent considering. And definitely a step forward.

Just remember, the only reason to truly upgrade is if you feel your current equipment does not meet a need. And how much is that need worth to you (value of upgrade). If you would like more pixels to play with, better high iso performance, faster frame rates, better focus system, touch screen, articulated screen, etc etc etc. . .

May 12, 2014 at 12:46 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is it nuts I still use Rebel XT?

What ^ said.

Is the 'Mighty Drebel' falling short in some _specific_ manner?

If not, don't sweat it. 'Upgrading' just for the sake of spending money is dumb.
If the cash is burning a hole in your pocket, spend it on a trip to Yellowstone, etc.

May 12, 2014 at 01:04 PM
Jon Joshua
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is it nuts I still use Rebel XT?

For a few $, you could upgrade to a 20D.

For a few $ more, you could upgrade to a 1D2.

May 12, 2014 at 01:19 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is it nuts I still use Rebel XT?

Question is, "what do you want out of your camera/photography?" The XT is still a fine camera. Others can get you better features and options (including ISO performance and resolution). But for a somewhat limited budget, you might find a flash, tripod, or new lenses open up avenues that a new camera body does not...

May 12, 2014 at 01:20 PM
Kisutch
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is it nuts I still use Rebel XT?

One reason to upgrade is so the shutter doesn't go out in the middle of an event that's important to you. I had a Rebel Xti shutter go out about 30 shots after I photographed my first mountain lion in the wild -- it would have been a real bummer if that had happened any sooner. I believe your rebel is rated to 50k actuations, which you may have exceeded if you shoot much. I didn't notice a huge change in IQ upgrading from a Rebel xti to 7D, better ISO and I could crop a little more, but certainly not the day-and-night differences that people on gear forums are prone to claiming. The best print in my house is still one I took with the xti, it's 16x20" and has lots of detail.

May 12, 2014 at 01:21 PM
GCasey
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is it nuts I still use Rebel XT?

I used to think that cars would totally disintegrate when they reached 100,000 miles and have learned that they don't.

The same principle works with cameras. As long as your Rebel does what you want it to do, keep and use it. I'm using an older Canon S3 for times when I want to play and love it. Sold a 16" x 20" print from it last week.

May 12, 2014 at 01:34 PM
Max10
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is it nuts I still use Rebel XT?

The XT/ 350D is still my favorite body. Unless you need high MP of the current APS-C bodies, it would be worthwhile to consider a used 5DII.

May 12, 2014 at 01:37 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Is it nuts I still use Rebel XT?

An upgrade always makes you feel good, plus you help the economy and get a much nicer camera. The biggest change since 2006 is DSLR video and it's pretty good in the last couple generations of Drebles. Plus a couple more stops of good high ISO, a huge LCD (by XT standards), vastly improved AF and even Wi-Fi to beam your creations into lalaland. And SD card are almost free compared to CF...

May 12, 2014 at 01:39 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Is it nuts I still use Rebel XT?

Why do you want to upgrade? What can you not do with it?
Maybe a backup body is a good idea in case your rebel croaks.

David

May 12, 2014 at 01:41 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Is it nuts I still use Rebel XT?

johndierks wrote:

I don't think you are nuts. In some ways, I regard the old XT (or 450D) as one of the "classic" Canon consumer DSLRs. When I was figuring out the transition from film SLRs to DSLRs, I bought one of those as my way of trying things out. I made (and sold) several good photographs with mine.

The resale value today is likely insignificant. I'd either hang on to it if I thought I'd have any use for it or else give it (along with a cheap lens) to some young kid or other person who wants to give this a try.

Dan

May 12, 2014 at 01:44 PM
coreybell
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Is it nuts I still use Rebel XT?

I too still have a rebel xt, purchased in late 05 or early 06. Have used it for everything from sr. pics to newborns and at 400 iso or below does a great job with good glass.
For 8 megapixels I have produced many terrific photo's.
I too wanted to upgrade with all the newer models, decided instead to only to keep pushing myself to be better on my end.
It's still amazes me to hear when people comment on what a nice camera I have after seeing my pictures or my camera,, a 8 to 9 year old 8.1 megapixel silver 350d with battery grip. hahaha.
In disclosure I will be upgrading soon (August) because I can.

May 12, 2014 at 01:50 PM
coreybell
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Is it nuts I still use Rebel XT?

To answer your question John,, not crazy at all

May 12, 2014 at 01:51 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Is it nuts I still use Rebel XT?

gdanmitchell wrote:
I don't think you are nuts. In some ways, I regard the old XT (or 450D) as one of the "classic" Canon consumer DSLRs.

Dan

The XT was a 350D, a long way off the performance of the still-excellent 450D (Xsi), although still good in it's day

May 12, 2014 at 02:04 PM

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Is it nuts I still use Rebel XT?

1D Mark II N is the bargain of the century now...

May 12, 2014 at 02:09 PM
matejphoto
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Is it nuts I still use Rebel XT?

I think the more important question is what lens do you use with the XT?
Is it the 18-55 kit? If so, which one. The IS version is MUCH better optically than the non-IS version. I found the old 18-55 kit terrible but the kit with IS is fantastic.
If you have the old kit I would buy that before you buy a new body.

May 12, 2014 at 06:47 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.