New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Experimental physicist

VilleK
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Experimental physicist

Olli is defending his PhD thesis on the next Friday and we decided to grab a few shots in the lab for the promotional material. This is the best one we got:

PhD candidate by VilleK_, on Flickr

I also took a few images of the carbon nanotube samples he measured for his work. You can find them here: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1293788

Thanks for looking

May 12, 2014 at 04:02 AM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Experimental physicist

Hi.

It is a nice environmental portrait with interesting background.

Nice facial expression too.

May 12, 2014 at 07:54 AM
John Patrick
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Experimental physicist

I like the background and think the DoF is perfect.

But I have to ask, was I the only one expecting Leonard?

John

May 12, 2014 at 08:25 AM
waltherppq

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Experimental physicist

I like such "field" pics!

May 12, 2014 at 09:15 AM
Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Experimental physicist

I like it......before he is confirmed defending his thesis, might consider a fun photo such as white lab coat, hair messed up, big ole black glasses with big safety glasses over them, smudge of grease on the cheek.....put some beakers with food colored water in them....add filtered lights , maybe red on the back wall for mood setting.....fun photo.....

I do like what you gave and he will look back some day and be thankful for your work. Thanks for sharing!

May 12, 2014 at 11:17 AM
VilleK
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Experimental physicist

Steady Hand wrote:
It is a nice environmental portrait with interesting background.

Nice facial expression too.

Thanks! The expression works really nice in my opinion too. I find the photo portrays Olli's personality exactly the way I see him

John Patrick wrote:
I like the background and think the DoF is perfect.

But I have to ask, was I the only one expecting Leonard?

Thank you!

waltherppq wrote:
I like such "field" pics!

Me too My field is numerical physics and the natural environments for that field look really boring compared to this machinery.

Herb wrote:
I like it......before he is confirmed defending his thesis, might consider a fun photo such as white lab coat, hair messed up, big ole black glasses with big safety glasses over them, smudge of grease on the cheek.....put some beakers with food colored water in them....add filtered lights , maybe red on the back wall for mood setting.....fun photo.....

I do like what you gave and he will look back some day and be thankful for your work. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! That is a good idea but I think he is now fully occupied in panicking before the dissertation

May 12, 2014 at 12:23 PM
sidefunk
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Experimental physicist

Like this evironmental shot. Good stuff. What applications are the nano tubes here being used for.

May 12, 2014 at 09:59 PM
VilleK
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Experimental physicist

sidefunk wrote:
Like this evironmental shot. Good stuff. What applications are the nano tubes here being used for.

Thank you!

This question is tough I will just post the abstract of the study here:

Abstract

In this thesis properties of individual carbon nanotubes (CNTs) are studied performing measurements in electronic transport, including noise, optical spectroscopy and electron diffraction. Furthermore, novel sample geometry of suspended CNT devices is developed and a CNT synthesis setup relying on chemical vapor deposition (CVD) has been established.

Combined Raman and transport measurements on individual singlewalled nanotubes (SWNTs) are performed. These methods serve as powerful tools to determine the properties of a single device. In addition, it is possible to evaluate the reliability of these two mutually independent methods.

Suspended nanotube structures with a fully transparent path are very useful in various measurements including
...Show more

May 13, 2014 at 10:21 AM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Experimental physicist

Ville,

Everything written below is written in a truly friendly tone of voice and with the sole intent to spread goodwill among friends.

I have a humorous idea for you.

Of course not everyone shares my sense of humor....but your friend Olli looks like a friendly guy..

Here is what I suggest (or what I would do if Olli were my friend):

See the equipment he is leaning his arm upon. Notice the gauge and the black cap (black circular part).

Insert an EYE into both of those parts of the image.

Why? This makes the equipment look like a friendly robot.

Give him a large print of the "eye robot" as a humorous surprise GIFT. Surprise him.

I think it would be an "unforgettable" gift.

Make sure to do it when there is maximum chance for laughter, such as when he is among friendly colleagues having a beer.

This should help reduce some of the tension of his current life point.

May 13, 2014 at 10:29 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Experimental physicist

I get the panic before dissertation....I did one for my masters in mechanical engineering.....I can't imagine getting ready for the PhD version. I have a good friend that got his masters and phd at Carnegie Melon in mechanical engineering. He is a smart sucker.....but to get one you need to be a smart one.....good luck to your friend....he will do fine!

May 13, 2014 at 11:48 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Experimental physicist

Steady Hand......very good idea....I will keep that in mind for my future shots when the opportunity can arise......

May 13, 2014 at 11:50 AM
jodo
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Experimental physicist

I like this photo a lot. Olli certainly appears to be a "Master of his domain." I'm sure he has nothing to panic over.

May 13, 2014 at 03:13 PM
sidefunk
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Experimental physicist

I can see why its called an abstract and you are right it is tough to explain. I am not sure what it all means but i can just imagine this kinda stuff being the building blocks for all kinds of cool tech in the near future. Makes me think of nano surgery robots or somethng. Please excuse me as i don't have a technical background.

May 13, 2014 at 08:49 PM
VilleK
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Experimental physicist

Thanks for the nice comments and ideas everyone

jodo wrote:
I like this photo a lot. Olli certainly appears to be a "Master of his domain." I'm sure he has nothing to panic over.

Thank you I think this is actually one of the best portraits I have ever taken since Olli looks exactly the way I know him.

sidefunk wrote:
I can see why its called an abstract and you are right it is tough to explain. I am not sure what it all means but i can just imagine this kinda stuff being the building blocks for all kinds of cool tech in the near future. Makes me think of nano surgery robots or somethng. Please excuse me as i don't have a technical background.

I think he said that one of the possible applications would be flat computer screens that can be bent. Other applications include reinforcement of composite material and memory devices.

Extra thanks!
Big thanks to everyone who has taken time to comment these images I seldom get any comments if my pictures contain something else than pretty ladies. I guess that's how it is nowadays.

May 14, 2014 at 05:24 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.