New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Survivor

stringfolk

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Survivor

My grandfather returned home after a week away to find that two trees had fallen on the "playhouse," the small 1-room home he built to live in while he built the main house. They lived in it for about a year, and then it became a playhouse for my mom, and later a storage building. The two trees that fell on it were about 13' in diameter, so as you can imagine, the building was totally destroyed. While we were visiting this weekend, we noticed that this bulb somehow survived the devastation. I don't think this really does it justice, but maybe I can improve on this somewhat?

Original

I think the original captures the devastation better, but the bulb is so small in the frame. I tried to strike a balance with the edit but I'm not sure it quite hits the mark.

How would you deal with this when shooting? I couldn't really get any closer, or I might have tried a wider angle to exaggerate the perspective.

I also wish I had gone back and re-shot when it got a bit later, as this was pretty harsh light. Hindsight is 20/20, no?

May 11, 2014 at 11:27 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Survivor

Tough gig under those parameters (proximity, lens, etc.).

Here's a stab at using the crop to re-weight / re-balance things a bit, and hopefully use some of the lines inherent to the scene to shift the viewer toward the bulb ... yet, allowing enough of the broader picture to remain to intimate the story somewhat.

Might play more with selective adjustments to help draw the eye where you want it to go, but removing some of the extraneous info might be a place to start.

Edited on May 12, 2014 at 07:32 AM · View previous versions

May 12, 2014 at 07:20 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Survivor

stringfolk,

The image to me seems a bit too cramped and busy to me and lacks a solid context.

The bulb is also OOF and that's throwing my eyes off a bit.

I tried recropping and a BW conversion, but I still couldn't pull enough interest out of the shot.

Wish I could help more!

Cheers,

Jeff

.edit Strangely enough that was the same crop I had made, Kent!

Edited on May 12, 2014 at 07:58 AM · View previous versions

May 12, 2014 at 07:20 AM
stringfolk

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Survivor

No worries. I think I will try to re-shoot this next weekend if I have a chance. If not, it'll be a nice snapshot. Thanks, all!

May 12, 2014 at 07:50 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Survivor

beavens wrote:
Strangely enough that was the same crop I had made, Kent!

Great (or strange) minds think alike ...

May 12, 2014 at 10:05 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.