FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2014 · Shooting JPEG versus RAW

ReyGay
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Shooting JPEG versus RAW

I have no issues shooting jpegs with my Nikon bodies, even the older D1X. The D7000 and the D3X is more forgiving in the highlights but certainly you should be in control. Knowing you are shooting beach shots where the contrast is strong, you should employ flashes or reflectors to light up the shadows/midtones and prevent the highlights from blowing out. Check your histograms diligently.

My Flickr Gallery
My interesting photos on Flickriver
my Deviantart gallery

May 17, 2014 at 04:17 PM
Nexu
• •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Shooting JPEG versus RAW

ReyGay wrote:
I have no issues shooting jpegs with my Nikon bodies, even the older D1X. The D7000 and the D3X is more forgiving in the highlights but certainly you should be in control. Knowing you are shooting beach shots where the contrast is strong, you should employ flashes or reflectors to light up the shadows/midtones and prevent the highlights from blowing out. Check your histograms diligently.

My Flickr Gallery
My interesting photos on Flickriver
my Deviantart gallery

That's one way of looking at it.

The other way could be that for a certain % of shots, I'll throw out 90% arbitrarily, jpeg is "good enough". But for those most demanding shots, with the highest of dynamic range, it could be argued that it's borderline wasteful/negligent to not shoot RAW. Why buy a camera like a D800 and limit it's dynamic range to what a camera 20% of the price could do? It's comparable to switching from jpeg full resolution to a format where you only keep 50% of the MP's, right? To me it's the same: cutting off some dynamic range vs. cutting off some MP's.

May 18, 2014 at 11:14 AM
Elan II
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Shooting JPEG versus RAW

Nexu wrote:
That's one way of looking at it.

The other way could be that for a certain % of shots, I'll throw out 90% arbitrarily, jpeg is "good enough". But for those most demanding shots, with the highest of dynamic range, it could be argued that it's borderline wasteful/negligent to not shoot RAW. Why buy a camera like a D800 and limit it's dynamic range to what a camera 20% of the price could do? It's comparable to switching from jpeg full resolution to a format where you only keep 50% of the MP's, right? To me it's the same: cutting off
...Show more

I see this baseless mantra parroted on discussion boards again and again. You understand that at the end of the process you are going to have the same JPEG with the same dynamic range that you call negligent. The only issue is preserving detail in the original shot. To me, that is as simple as getting the exposure right and dialing down the in-camera contrast in harsh light settings - which is then added back in processing if necessary. That's all it really takes to preserve the detail the final processed shot is going to have anyway.

And btw, 50% of the pixels is probably all you'll ever need with a camera like the D800. That's all the D4 will give you and I don't see any of the pros complaining. You need to find a better boogie man to make your point with.

May 19, 2014 at 07:04 AM
gdsf2
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Shooting JPEG versus RAW

I shoot raw for two reasons:

1. I am not perfect and I want the latitude to fix mistakes.

2. When shooting, I find time to be the limiting factor, so I don't want to be changing a bunch of in camera settings for each shot. I just want to worry about composition, focus, and exposure. I can fine tune later in post processing when I can spend as much time as I want getting everything just right.

Now, if you want to shoot JPEG, I am cool with that. Why should I care.

Jerry

May 19, 2014 at 09:00 AM
Elan II
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Shooting JPEG versus RAW

gdsf2 wrote:
I shoot raw for two reasons:

1. I am not perfect and I want the latitude to fix mistakes.

2. When shooting, I find time to be the limiting factor, so I don't want to be changing a bunch of in camera settings for each shot. I just want to worry about composition, focus, and exposure. I can fine tune later in post processing when I can spend as much time as I want getting everything just right.

Now, if you want to shoot JPEG, I am cool with that. Why should I care.

Jerry

Jerry, I don't think you understand how the internet works - posting "I'm cool with that" and other such nonsense. You are supposed to know the one and only right way, then forcefully impose it on other users. They are not allowed to disagree at all, not even a little. If they do anyway, you are required to call them stupid, ignorant, incompetent, negligent and insane.

For everyone's safety, I recommend you unplug your modem and not return to the internet until you learn proper discussion board etiquette. The amount of chaos and mayhem that will be caused by everyone doing whatever is right for them will literally bring the internet to a screeching halt, and you will be to blame.

http://changethetopic.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Someone-is-wrong.jpg

May 19, 2014 at 05:30 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Shooting JPEG versus RAW

in this particular "conversational environment" neither camp can/will prove themselves to be correct.

May 19, 2014 at 05:33 PM
Elan II
• • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Shooting JPEG versus RAW

sjms wrote:
in this particular "conversational environment" neither camp can/will prove themselves to be correct.

Yeah, well, don't tell them that. Both sides are already convinced they prevailed..

May 19, 2014 at 05:41 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Shooting JPEG versus RAW

no comment

May 19, 2014 at 05:54 PM
gfinlayson
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Shooting JPEG versus RAW

This is probably the most hotly debated photography topic on the Internet. Use what works for you. I shot my first event yesterday - up til now I've been a die-hard RAW shooter. With a potential 1000 images in a little over an hour and photos having to be on the website the same day, RAW was out of the question, so it had to be JPEGs.

My biggest fear given the fierce sunlight was blowing highlights. I metered conservatively (a few files needed a little +EV in post) and the results were great. By the evening, 846 files were uploaded and catalogued and the print sales are rolling in. Had I shot in RAW, I'd still be editing now...

Horses for courses......

May 19, 2014 at 06:02 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Shooting JPEG versus RAW

from an objective point of view:
not so true as there are options that would have taken a minimal amount of time. minutes depending on your processing power.

but then again no right or wrong just options and opinions.

May 19, 2014 at 06:54 PM
gfinlayson
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Shooting JPEG versus RAW

I've got a pretty well specced PC, but importing and processing 846 D800 RAW files, resizing and exporting them doesn't happen in minutes....

I didn't need the ability to produce massive prints from the finished files, so working in RAW would have been overkill. I felt my best option in this instance was to go with JPEG and let the camera do the work.

As you say, no right or wrong, just options and opinions.

May 20, 2014 at 01:27 AM
Nexu
• •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Shooting JPEG versus RAW

Elan II wrote:
I see this baseless mantra parroted on discussion boards again and again. You understand that at the end of the process you are going to have the same JPEG with the same dynamic range that you call negligent. The only issue is preserving detail in the original shot. To me, that is as simple as getting the exposure right and dialing down the in-camera contrast in harsh light settings - which is then added back in processing if necessary. That's all it really takes to preserve the detail the final processed shot is going to have anyway.

And btw, 50%
...Show more

Wow aren't you a sensitive little one today?
I was merely giving a devil's advocate type of response. I actually acknowledge both sides of the argument, apparently you don't? Did you even notice that I said that perhaps jpeg is good enough 90% of the time? Your dynamic range argument doesn't always hold water in my experience, not in every situation. If I shoot a very high DR scene, like a sunrise with interesting foreground elements, I'm either clipping the highlights or significantly underexposing the foreground. The more I protect the highlights the darker my foreground goes. RAW makes a big difference in how much you can pull the shadows back up and the quality of the final product. Do you not acknowledge that in some cases RAW actually does provide a significant, meaningful, obviously visible, improvement? Who's to say if it's 1%, 10% or 80% of the time, it's all going to be specific to the user, what & how they shoot and the format they display their impages.

P.S. don't assume so much - I shoot 16 MP not 36 ;P

May 26, 2014 at 10:06 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.