New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Horns

jwphilly

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Horns

This is one I shot a few months ago and totally forgot about it. Just found the file browsing in Lightroom and processed into a B&W.
It's a detail shot of a cool sculpture made of parts from several brass instruments.

24 Nov 2013 - 0001 by jwphilly, on Flickr

May 11, 2014 at 08:32 PM
elitefroggy
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Horns

Very nice image that can use a bit more processing to give it more of a gold sepia look and enhance the details more. I can show you what I would do if you like. Dave

May 12, 2014 at 08:39 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Horns

Personally I would like to see more of the total subject(parts).
But a good subject ntl(nonetheless).
Dan

May 12, 2014 at 09:04 AM
jwphilly

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Horns

Thanks for the input, Dave. I actually started with a more sepia tone, but I found that it was starting to look too much like I was trying to make it look like brass (which the sculpture is) and so it was like I was taking away the color and then putting the same color back. It just felt off to me, so I went with this cooler tone.

I think I went through a version where I tried to enhance some detail by boosting the contrast a little more, but I lost too much shadow detail.

Please play with it, I'm not precious about my work and I'm very interested to see other interpretations. This one in particular feels far from perfect to me.

May 12, 2014 at 09:33 AM
jwphilly

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Horns

Dan, I actually wanted to shoot some frames with a bit more of the subject but I was in close quarters with only a 50mm lens (on a DX body) so close ups were all I could manage. Thanks for the feedback.

May 12, 2014 at 09:34 AM
elitefroggy
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Horns

jwphilly wrote:
Thanks for the input, Dave. I actually started with a more sepia tone, but I found that it was starting to look too much like I was trying to make it look like brass (which the sculpture is) and so it was like I was taking away the color and then putting the same color back. It just felt off to me, so I went with this cooler tone.

I think I went through a version where I tried to enhance some detail by boosting the contrast a little more, but I lost too much shadow detail.

Please play with it,
...Show more
What do you think of this version jwphilly?
http://davesphotography9173.zenfolio.com/img/s12/v176/p739746911-4.jpg

May 12, 2014 at 10:18 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Horns

jwphilly wrote:
Dan, I actually wanted to shoot some frames with a bit more of the subject but I was in close quarters with only a 50mm lens (on a DX body) so close ups were all I could manage. Thanks for the feedback.

Understand completely. We ALL probably have been that route before! I know I have! So you do the best you have with what you got! And you did!
Gud job!
Dan

May 12, 2014 at 10:33 AM
jwphilly

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Horns

That really brought out some great texture, particularly on the trumpet(?) towards the left of the frame. Can you describe your process a little?

I'm still not sure I love the sepia tone, for the reason mentioned before, but it does give it a little more classical look.

May 12, 2014 at 11:06 AM
elitefroggy
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Horns

jwphilly wrote:
That really brought out some great texture, particularly on the trumpet(?) towards the left of the frame. Can you describe your process a little?

Sure, I used CS6 to adjust the toning turning down the blue channel and raising the green and red. Then I used a couple of LAB actions in CS6 to enhance the detail and followed with LAB sharpening action. Dave

I'm still not sure I love the sepia tone, for the reason mentioned before, but it does give it a little more classical look.

May 12, 2014 at 11:48 AM
jwphilly

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Horns

I have to admit, I've never played around with LAB color space in photoshop. I know basically how it works, but I always forget it exists. I think you've just motivated me to experiment with it some more.

May 12, 2014 at 12:25 PM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.