FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · SL1 as Second Body to 6D

matthewm
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SL1 as Second Body to 6D

Hey guys,
I have a 6D with several lenses (you can see my profile for the complete list). I've been doing a little more video lately and also have a trip coming up in the summer to Yellowstone and the surrounding areas and I'm sure there will be some opportunities for wildlife there. I'm wondering how you guys think a little SL1 might compliment my 6D. I have the 40 STM and would probably get the 18-55 STM kit with the SL1 so I'd have full-time AF during video (which is what I really want as the SL1 would become a hand-held video camera for secondary vignettes during interview-style videos. Also, the SL1 would give me a little more reach without losing light on my 70-300L (and my wife's 70-200L).

I know the SL1 is small and light, which is actually something I'd love as it will be unobtrusive in my bag, but is there anything else I should really be looking at? I had a 70D briefly, but for the little bit it would be used, I can't really justify the cost (the 70D body only is twice the price of an SL1 kit).

Are any of you guys using the SL1 as a cheap teleconverter?

Thoughts and insight are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Matthew

May 11, 2014 at 08:19 PM
jrscls
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SL1 as Second Body to 6D

Seems like a good plan. I'm have also been considering whether to pickup another 6d for a backup, a 70D for occasional video, or an SL1 for video / lightweight setup. What didn't you like about the 70D other than cost? I like the 70D uses the same batteries with similar layout, but I'm not sure I would use it all that much over the 6D. I also have the 40 STM, so if I bought the SL1, I would probably do the same, pickup a 18-55 STM.

May 11, 2014 at 08:40 PM
mhp_sd
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SL1 as Second Body to 6D

Hi,
I've recently started shooting again after retiring my 20D a couple of years ago. My first new body was an SL1 which I love for its diminutive size. I really missed the joystick and the fps seems slower than the stated 4.

I still enjoy using the SL1, especially with the 40 pancake or the 35f2IS which make for a very portable setup. I recently purchased a used 7D which I find much more satisfying to use.

If you don't need the small size of the SL1 (and do try it in your hands - it's small!), I think a used 7D might be an affordable way to get better reach and a great body for wildlife.

May 11, 2014 at 08:45 PM
gocolts
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SL1 as Second Body to 6D

I have a 6D, my wife has an SL1 she uses for our daughter and on trips. With the 40mm pancake, it's amazing how small the setup is.

Based on how you plan to use the SL1, I think it'd be a great choice. It's a fun little camera that has a lot packed into it.

May 11, 2014 at 09:20 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SL1 as Second Body to 6D

Definitely don't skip the Rebels- a T5i with an 18-55 or 18-135 is a potent backup shooter, and the Rebels with their kit lenses are all fairly light. Note that the full-size Rebels get better AF, faster burst speed, and the flip-out screen and... I better stop, I'm getting too close to selling one to myself!

(Tammy 150-600 tops my list right now, followed very closely by the 50 Art...)

May 12, 2014 at 04:30 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · SL1 as Second Body to 6D

Yes I have it as a cheap TC

http://www.pbase.com/larsjohnsson/image/151124202/original.jpg

May 12, 2014 at 05:15 AM
matthewm
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · SL1 as Second Body to 6D

jrscls wrote:
Seems like a good plan. I'm have also been considering whether to pickup another 6d for a backup, a 70D for occasional video, or an SL1 for video / lightweight setup. What didn't you like about the 70D other than cost? I like the 70D uses the same batteries with similar layout, but I'm not sure I would use it all that much over the 6D. I also have the 40 STM, so if I bought the SL1, I would probably do the same, pickup a 18-55 STM.

Other than cost, I didn't have any issues with the 70D. It was a fantastic camera with very impressive IQ. The AF was snappy and the AF during video was really impressive with STM lenses. It is nice that the 70D uses a similar layout and the same batteries, but like you, I didn't use it enough over the 6D to justify keeping it.

The SL1 would be cheap enough that it wouldn't really matter much if it didn't get used a whole lot.

May 12, 2014 at 07:41 AM
matthewm
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · SL1 as Second Body to 6D

mhp_sd wrote:
Hi,
I've recently started shooting again after retiring my 20D a couple of years ago. My first new body was an SL1 which I love for its diminutive size. I really missed the joystick and the fps seems slower than the stated 4.

I still enjoy using the SL1, especially with the 40 pancake or the 35f2IS which make for a very portable setup. I recently purchased a used 7D which I find much more satisfying to use.

If you don't need the small size of the SL1 (and do try it in your hands - it's small!), I think a
...Show more

I actually had a 7D for a very short time. I liked it for video, which was impressive, but I just hated the sensor for still images. Sometimes I'd get an image at ISO 800 that looked beautiful. Other times, I'd get an image at ISO 100 that looked like ISO 6400 on a camera from 5 years ago. It was really spotty as to whether or not I'd get a good, clean image. Also, it used CF cards and I've sort of built my workflow around SD cards (I don't even have any CF cards anymore, other than the ones my wife uses for her 5DII) so I would have to buy a bunch of CF cards to go with it.

AF and video are the 7D's home runs. The sensor is weird though and I just couldn't figure out how to use it in a way that gave me nice, clean images all the time.

Also, I like the idea of AF on the SL1 video for shooting little vignettes with the kit or 40mm lens.

May 12, 2014 at 07:47 AM
matthewm
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · SL1 as Second Body to 6D

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Yes I have it as a cheap TC

http://www.pbase.com/larsjohnsson/image/151124202/original.jpg

You need a neon sign that points out the camera. I almost didn't see it back there.

May 12, 2014 at 07:49 AM
matthewm
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · SL1 as Second Body to 6D

johnctharp wrote:
Definitely don't skip the Rebels- a T5i with an 18-55 or 18-135 is a potent backup shooter, and the Rebels with their kit lenses are all fairly light. Note that the full-size Rebels get better AF, faster burst speed, and the flip-out screen and... I better stop, I'm getting too close to selling one to myself!

(Tammy 150-600 tops my list right now, followed very closely by the 50 Art...)

I thought about this, but it's almost twice as expensive and I'm really thinking this will be a 10% use camera as opposed to a 50% (or even 25 or 30%) use camera. So I can't really justify having a $600 kit sitting in my bag unused 90% of the time.

May 12, 2014 at 08:07 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · SL1 as Second Body to 6D

The 70D looks like a great 'video' and reach option, but given your expected usage I'd think the SL1 would work great, I'd opt for the 18-135 IS STM instead of the 18-55, then you've got a good 'one' lens kit for video with a bit more reach.

You might check refurbished pricing, body only the SL1 is just under $$400, with 18-55 just under 500; the 18-135 is $250, there's also a kit; SL1, 18055 and 55-250 STMs for $850...see links below. All are currently in stock.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/ProductListingViewAll_10051_10051_-1_244763

Edited on May 12, 2014 at 09:19 AM · View previous versions

May 12, 2014 at 09:11 AM
matthewm
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · SL1 as Second Body to 6D

StillFingerz wrote:
The 70D looks like a great 'video' and reach option, but given your expected usage I'd think the SL1 would work great, I'd opt for the 18-135 IS STM instead of the 18-55, then you've got a good 'one' lens kit for video with a bit more reach.

Good idea. I hadn't really thought about the 18-135, but it would open up some more possibilities, especially for subject isolation in video at the 135 end (essentially 215mm at f/5.6). Good call on that. It'd probably be a decent walk-around kit as well for vacations and what not (when the 6D and multiple lenses didn't need to come along.

You're right about the 70D though. It's an incredible camera for the price. If I could justify it, I'd keep it. I almost sold the 6D to keep the 70, but I'm a sucker for full frame.

May 12, 2014 at 09:15 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · SL1 as Second Body to 6D

matthewm wrote:
Good idea. I hadn't really thought about the 18-135, but it would open up some more possibilities, especially for subject isolation in video at the 135 end (essentially 215mm at f/5.6). Good call on that. It'd probably be a decent walk-around kit as well for vacations and what not (when the 6D and multiple lenses didn't need to come along.

You're right about the 70D though. It's an incredible camera for the price. If I could justify it, I'd keep it. I almost sold the 6D to keep the 70, but I'm a sucker for full frame.

Matthew, I added a bit to my original post...refurb pricing is very good atm

May 12, 2014 at 09:21 AM
matthewm
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · SL1 as Second Body to 6D

StillFingerz wrote:
Matthew, I added a bit to my original post...refurb pricing is very good atm

Actually, the refurb pricing is what got my gears turning. Thanks for the links.

May 12, 2014 at 09:23 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · SL1 as Second Body to 6D

matthewm wrote:

I'm still not FF digital yet, 2015 is my target, either a 6D or 5D3. With a 7D and 1DMk2N in hand I'm trying to decide, consolidate and get the 5D3 or just add the 6D...we shall see, for now my FF itch is film

Keep shooting...cheers,
Jerry

May 12, 2014 at 09:50 AM
matthewm
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · SL1 as Second Body to 6D

StillFingerz wrote:
I'm still not FF digital yet, 2015 is my target, either a 6D or 5D3. With a 7D and 1DMk2N in hand I'm trying to decide, consolidate and get the 5D3 or just add the 6D...we shall see, for now my FF itch is film

Keep shooting...cheers,
Jerry

Jerry,
One of my all-time favorite cameras was the 1D2N. Really unique IQ from that camera. I actually really loved my 7D, but I never could get along with it in terms of IQ. The IQ was there. I've seen it. I just couldn't really get used to the workflow involved with making the 7D work with my shooting style (that probably sounds stupid, but I swear, we just couldn't get along).

If you don't need the AF of the 5D3, I'd strongly consider the 6D (maybe get rid of the 1D2N and get a 6D and use the 7D as a long-reach backup.

May 12, 2014 at 09:53 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · SL1 as Second Body to 6D

Our SL1 is nominally my wife's camera. She uses it with the 15-85 lens and it takes nice images. We have two relatively young puppies and its very handy to have around to grab their antics. The flash works really well for indoor shots.

The balance with the 15-85 was a bit odd at first, its not a light lens, but after using a bit its not bad. Makes for an overall lighter package. Haven't tried the 18-135 STM but was not happy with the 18-55 STM for stills.

I do like the SL1 with the 55-250 STM which I found surprisingly sharp. It makes a nice light weight hiking kit when paired with my G1X. Understand that I prefer my 5D3 kit when I know what I'm after but carrying around the under 2 lbs of SL1 + 55-250 sure beats carrying around the over 5 lbs of 5D3 + 100-400. Also understand that the AF is no where near that of the 5D3 or 7D but its center point is adequate for many situations. Side by side test images using the 100-400 had equal image quality compared to the 7D I used to have. I'd rarely use the SL1 that way though. The 5D3 (+ 1.4x if necessary) replaced the 7D for the kind of high stress imagery that often disappointed me with the 7D.

What the SL1 needs is a nice light 18 to 22 EFs prime equivalent to the one for the EOS M. I think the 40 STM or even the 35 f2 is too long. The 60 macro is a very nice and useful lens on the SL1 and would pair nicely with a wider prime. And, come to think of it, the 135 f2.8 SF (if you can find one) which weighs the same as the 55-250. Fun street kit.

May 12, 2014 at 10:35 AM
matthewm
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · SL1 as Second Body to 6D

Jeff Nolten wrote:
What the SL1 needs is a nice light 18 to 22 EFs prime equivalent to the one for the EOS M. I think the 40 STM or even the 35 f2 is too long.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I don't know why Canon did a 40mm instead of a 22mm for the EF-S. Maybe size limitations, etc. I'd love to see an 18mm f/2 or f/2.5 alongside the 40mm f/2.8. Paired with an SL1, it would be a great kit.

May 12, 2014 at 10:43 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · SL1 as Second Body to 6D

matthewm wrote:
Jerry,
One of my all-time favorite cameras was the 1D2N. Really unique IQ from that camera. I actually really loved my 7D, but I never could get along with it in terms of IQ. The IQ was there. I've seen it. I just couldn't really get used to the workflow involved with making the 7D work with my shooting style (that probably sounds stupid, but I swear, we just couldn't get along).

If you don't need the AF of the 5D3, I'd strongly consider the 6D (maybe get rid of the 1D2N and get a 6D and use the 7D as
...Show more

Both bodies were picked up last year very reasonably priced, they scratched two itches that had persisted for years. I was and still am a dedicated 40D shooter, there are old computers to deal with, all 6yrs plus, and the smaller MPs are easier to PP at the moment.

With the 7D PP is slowed a lot, although with the pace I've learned as of late to manage the 'noise' much better, Tony/ImageMaster here on FM turned me on to a product called 'Neat Image', it's got a kind of clunky interface but it's noise functionality is top drawer.

The 1DMk2 gives me AF at f8 and with my smallish budget, a 2x III and 300 f4L IS, I've got my action; surfing, car racing, setup, and that's fine for now...our resident PijunMaster was my source

Either the 5D3 or 6D will work, what ever FF body I do get will mostly shoot macro, flowers/gardens and city/landscapes...choosing a 6D would net me more glass and that's quite attractive. I almost broke my 2014 promise, the 6D is under $1300 as a refurb, but I'm gonna wait, see what Canon brings to the table this year.

I'm just recently shooting again after a long medical vacation . That will increase, even more in a few week's. Back in my wheels now, but very weak, give me a month or so and my stamina will be better, dizziness will be gone and perhaps I'll get out from my backyard...it's been awhile since I was at the beach, the sun feels quite nice

Jerry

May 12, 2014 at 11:11 AM
pKai
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · SL1 as Second Body to 6D

The SL-1 is ideal if you are looking for the smallest and lightest fully capable dSLR in existence.

I have one and love it. I don't use it for a TC so much (!) as I do when I don't want to attract attention. The 17-85 STM kit lens is tack-sharp as is the 55-250 STM.

No, it will never replace my 1D4, 5D2, and L lenses, but it is an addition to my kit that is getting A LOT more use than I ever thought it would. I initially bought this to sneak into events that are photography-restricted -- yes, I can get credentials and bring in a cartload of gear -- but sometimes I like what images I can make by being one of the crowd attracting zero attention. Its wonderful for that.... with a 50 1.8, it looks like a big point and shoot. It has yet to be turned around at a gate.

Anyways, in addition to its intended purpose, it sees use as a 3rd body usually wearing a 70-200 2.8 II IS when shooting wildlife. Sometimes I DO use it as a "TC"; here is what is looks like on a 600 F4 IS II with 2X TC (effective FL: 1920mm) and what kind of images it can make.

Get one, you will love it.

May 12, 2014 at 02:52 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.