1       2       3              12      
       end

Archive 2014 · Why Canon does not have a 50 MP body

artd
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #1 · p.13 #1 · Why Canon does not have a 50 MP body

galenapass wrote:
think it's very simple. To use an analogy to something I am familiar with, most big drug companies (Pfizer, Merck etc...) want to develop drugs that sell in the billions. Therefore, orphan drug targets (diseases that affect a smaller portion of the population) are not as big a concern. That does not mean they don't work on these targets, but realistically 100-300 million in sales per year is not going to keep a large company going without shutting down research sites, and laying off personnel. As Canon starts to lose revenue, from the point and shoot market, they are
...Show more

Not sure that analogy works so well. When drug companies look to develop new drugs, it’s not so much about population, but more about the ability of the target population of the drug to be able to pay for it. There are a lot of diseases that afflict a larger number of people, but drugs are not pursued for those because the affected populations reside in third world countries and those people can’t afford to pay for the drugs.

In the camera industry, there is always going to be a demand for high end equipment, and there is always going to be a portion of the market willing to pay for it, regardless of what is happening at low end does. Such equipment always is associated with smaller volume of sales, and that’s why the price of that equipment is higher. (This isn’t exactly a new practice, industries have followed the low volume/high price model for years.) So a high megapixel camera certainly will not be an orphan…there will be a lot of people around to buy it. But Canon will wait until it has maximized the life cycle of its previous generation first.

Moreover, companies in technologically oriented industries don’t stay in business unless they pursue development of new products. Something tells me Canon isn’t going to stop R&D on DSLRs just because point-and-shoot sales are dropping

May 19, 2014 at 04:09 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.13 #2 · p.13 #2 · Why Canon does not have a 50 MP body

pKai wrote:
Nikon released what I consider a silly, laughable thing in the "retro" DF. It goes backwards in the megapixel race and -- cool as it may look -- if the ergonomics of 1980s 35mm cameras were perfect, we would have never moved away from it..... I would never buy this camera if I were a Nikon users and, innovation, it certainly ain't! Nikon, however, is selling these like bottled water at a desert marathon. They've succeeded.

I'm obviously super behind on this (I don't really pay attention to Nikon products unless colleagues I come across are raving about the new pro bodies), but I just checked out the the Nikon DF after reading this here.. the high sales for "something different" or retro don't surprise me at all. Shame it doesn't seem to deliver on all areas (AF, responsiveness, general usage) - a DF kind of body with the exact capabilities of the 5D3 at $2500 would become Canon or Nikon's best-selling camera of the year for sure. (I'd wager all 3 of my younger photo assistants would react "ooh cool! I wanna shoot with that body today!" if i had a DF as one of my backup bodies on a wedding day)

I don't mind the gimmick, though I likely wouldn't be interested in having a "cool-looking" camera that doesn't do anything better than my current 1DX that I feel like could survive just about anything & still produce at 100% rate.

I strongly suspect Canon will deliver a 40-50MP studio beast of a body at some point, but I really do think that a lot of professional photographers have found that ~20 megapixels covers 98% of our needs. With the 1DX, I sometimes miss the little bit of cropping room I once had with the 1Ds Mark III, but the pixels are so much better on an individual level now - I heavily crop 1DX files at times, and there's really no distinguishable penalty.

Would a billboard fashion/automotive photographer love a 50MP Canon body? I'm assuming they would, though a large number of these photographers already operate strictly on medium format. Would I become a better photographer or make more money with a 50MP body? Most definitely not.

May 19, 2014 at 04:34 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.13 #3 · p.13 #3 · Why Canon does not have a 50 MP body

brimull wrote:
I believe that would depend on the ISO you were using. At higher ISOs, and I don't think this is the case so "always" may not be accurate.

Brian M.

Brian, I don't see any differences in iso range as long we shooting both camps in raw and having the best NR tool for post work. Assumed no on-board cheating raw noise filters in both camps, D800&5D3 read noise might be some relevant to what we are talking about: http://home.comcast.net/~NikonD70/Charts/RN_ADU.htm . Well, DR noise is another stories in both camps and you know whom getting the banding plus colors noise.

May 19, 2014 at 08:44 PM
pKai
• • •
p.13 #4 · p.13 #4 · Why Canon does not have a 50 MP body

kaycephoto wrote:
Would I become a better photographer or make more money with a 50MP body? Most definitely not.

Canon knows that this is the answer for most of us regardless of any "cool" factor.

Sooner or later they will put one out but not until they can get the most bang for their research buck. I suspect, and hope, it will blow everyone's socks off like the 1DX did for sports and action shooters. I remember not long ago people whining that Canon was falling behind in the flagship arena and the Nikon D3 was eating the 1D4 and 1DS3 for lunch..... now all we hear is D-who? and Nikon puts out an "S" to stop the bleeding back to Canon.... Count the white lenses at the Olympics and double that number for the World Cup.

BTW, we will not see any DF-type retro stuff from Canon... I don't think they're that kind of company.

We will never see "throwback Coke" either.

Canon is like Coca Cola -- deliberate, methodical, and conservative. Nikon is more like Pepsi.....

May 19, 2014 at 09:34 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.13 #5 · p.13 #5 · Why Canon does not have a 50 MP body

mttran wrote:
Brian, I don't see any differences in iso range as long we shooting both camps in raw and having the best NR tool for post work. Assumed no on-board cheating raw noise filters in both camps, D800&5D3 read noise might be some relevant to what we are talking about: http://home.comcast.net/~NikonD70/Charts/RN_ADU.htm . Well, DR noise is another stories in both camps and you know whom getting the banding plus colors noise.

DXO has the 1DX sensor 1 stop better in DR at higher ISO's vs. the D800. At least in that specific case Canon is ahead. Have not looked at the D4s though yet.

May 20, 2014 at 10:55 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.