New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Prom

JimBowman
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Prom

Not much of a portrait shooter or formal event shooter but couldn't resist the chance to give it a try.

Welcome comments and criticism that would help me improve. Thinking of offering to take some senior portraits for friends just to get better at this.

May 10, 2014 at 11:27 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Prom

I might desaturate these just a bit, and personally, I'd avoid the white vignette altogether and dial back the black one in the second shot. Nice looking kids, though. I'd be a bit concerned about the background elements of the first one; perhaps that's why you used the white vignette.

May 11, 2014 at 03:46 AM
JimBowman
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Prom

Steve thanks very much for the feedback. Depending on which computer I am looking at these on the saturation levels look a bit different. I was going to tone it down in both but just ran out of time last night. Made a few copies of the same image so I am going to try your suggestions.

The white vignette was intentional for exactly the reason you mentioned. Basically I ended up with 32 kids in a single home backyard and a massive rain storm impending. Five minutes after that second shot the entire backyard had to be evacuated. Not the most ideal situation but we tried to make it work =)

Thanks again and I appreciate the input!

May 11, 2014 at 09:40 AM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Prom

Howdy.

Quick Comments:

1. Use a calibrated monitor. Don't have one? Buy a monitor spyder for about $60 and don't waste time on using different monitors that are not calibrated.

2. Image 1 appears too orange (skin) (over saturated)

3. Image 1 has a very nice expression captured (nice smile)

4. Image 2: Avoid seated pose like that.

May 11, 2014 at 10:06 AM
JimBowman
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Prom

4. Image 2: Avoid seated pose like that.
This one is totally not my choice one of the other parents asking them to sit there. I didn't like the pose.

2. Going to tweak #1 a bit and and repost to see if it looks better - same with #2

Awesome input thanks very much for your help and guidance!

May 11, 2014 at 06:32 PM
JimBowman
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Prom

Here are the photos updated taking in the feedback and making some adjustments. Let me know your thoughts =)

Updated based on feedback #2

Updated based on feedback #1

May 11, 2014 at 07:10 PM
Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Prom

Very pretty young lady always makes the shoot enjoyable. Just a comment on the composition of the portrait.....first I want to say that I can always see this in my own AFTER I have taken the photo. First she has horns growing out of the rear of her head from the pine cones or what ever kind of tree that is. You have to watch what comes out of there whether it is a tree, a pole or in this case pine cones or blossoms. Second I don't like the feeder or bird cage to the right of her head. Even with it out of focus it draws the viewers eyes away from the prime subject, the young lady. Perhaps if you could use a burn(?) tool to lighten that up further so that it is less eye catching.....I would try.

The thing to do is look before you take the photo check these things out or at least in your camera display.....recompose and take again......

May 11, 2014 at 08:27 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.