Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              9       10       end

San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge

I've no idea whether this thread makes any sense in this forum but I'm looking at my desktop with a panorama of four stitched images I took last year of the Golden Gate bridge from the San Francisco anchorage. Probably because I live about fifteen miles north of the bridge I find myself taking photos of it from different angle quite regularly. I know it is a major tourist attraction and that folks visiting generally have a visit to the bridge on their shot list. I thought it might be fun to have a thread where folks could drop their photos of the bridge. I'll begin with the one on my desktop and then add a few others from time to time. Most of these have appeared in a thread I started in the Nikon forum called Manual Focus Nikon Glass. This and other photos of the bridge will have been taken with MF Nikkor lenses, but that surely isn't a requirement for this thread. In fact, I post it hear for exactly that reason. If you love the bridge and have a shot you've taken you wish to share... this is a good place to do so.

This was taken with a pre-AI lens, the 24 f/2.8 N.C. with the Nikon AI conversion kit installed, then processed through Silver Efex Pro 2. Come on down folks and show us your shots...

May 11, 2014 at 12:16 AM
digicV
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge

You sir, are lucky to live north of SFO. It is just gorgeous out there.
A very interesting picture and processing. Good work

May 11, 2014 at 01:43 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge

Thanks Pete. Yes, I'm very fortunate to live in the Bay Area. I've been in Marin County for the last 24 years and in the Bay Area since 1972. It has certainly become home after so many years.

Here's a photo of the Golden Gate bridge with a bit of fog for which we are famous, this one taken from Marin Headlands on the northern edge of the channel which has the name the Golden Gate. The bridge simply spans the gate...

May 11, 2014 at 02:05 AM
quickking
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge

Here's a couple from last spring:

GGB and Chain-2 by quickking, on Flickr

And one with some flowers:

GGB and Flowers-2 by quickking, on Flickr

May 11, 2014 at 02:45 AM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge

The Golden Gate is an inspiring icon of San Francisco and my favorite landscape subject. For several years I tried to capture it from many different angles and lighting. Here are a few examples I don't believe I have shown on FM before.

Mike K

May 11, 2014 at 02:48 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge

Wonderful additions to the thread fellows. As i expected, the bridge calls forth the best from photographers. Here'a another shot with fog taken from Fort Baker....

May 11, 2014 at 03:20 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge

It has been brought to my attention on another thread in this forum that the "Landscape Forum" is not suited for photos in a city or with people, so if this thread is deemed inappropriate I'm content with it being removed and or relocated to another forum. I've no wish to violate the spirit of this forum. I contacted the moderator to inquire about whether the thread should be moved.

May 11, 2014 at 02:09 PM
blueshadows
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge

This is a nice idea, Curtis. Photos of the Golden Gate landscape appear on the this forum from time to time; along with barns and decrepit farmhouses it's one of the more accepted man-made intrusions into the traditional definition many adhere to.

May 11, 2014 at 03:23 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge

CGrindahl wrote:
It has been brought to my attention on another thread in this forum that the "Landscape Forum" is not suited for photos in a city or with people, so if this thread is deemed inappropriate I'm content with it being removed and or relocated to another forum. I've no wish to violate the spirit of this forum. I contacted the moderator to inquire about whether the thread should be moved.

The moderators of this forum will weigh in with their interpretation of the boundaries of "landscape." And congratulations to you for being aware of the issue and open to considering a placement in a different forum.

I moderate some similar forums elsewhere that focus on landscape subjects and this sort of question comes up a lot. With some photographs the situation is black or white—photos of your cat are not landscape, but photos of wild rivers and mountains and such are. But there are always these tricky gray areas, and in the end the moderators end up having to make some subjective decisions. I can tell you from personal experience that it is difficult and that you always worry a bit about seeming inconsistent.

In my personal view, a landscape photograph may include a thing like a bridge as a subsidiary element of the overall scene. For example, it is possible to imagine a photograph that is primarily a landscape or seascape image in which the bridge appears. (The history of "landscape," which is mostly a history of painting, clearly recognizes and even embraces this idea.)

However, when the constructed object (bridge, building, roadway, etc.) becomes the primary subject of the photograph, the image (as beautiful and compelling as it may be) fits much better in categories other than landscape. A landscape photography typically "tells us" something about the landscape, whether by showing the whole of it or by revealing its nature by showing us small bits and pieces.

YMMV,

Dan

May 11, 2014 at 03:38 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge

We went for a ride on some bikes a few years back. I can only find this one atm, a panorama of unknown dimensions:

May 11, 2014 at 03:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge

As everyone is surely aware, this thread that began its life in the Landscape forum has been moved to City, Street & Architecture. I had a fine exchange with Jim Fox and this was his decision, which I surely respect. I mentioned to him that I'm the rather unofficial moderator of a thread in the Nikon Forum that features Manual Focus Nikon Glass. When I started the thread it was my intention to focus on Nikon MF lenses mounted on Nikon cameras but folks occasionally overlook that intention and it becomes necessary to have a conversation. That experience has sensitized me. I intend to respect the intention of those responsible for other threads and forums. I'm happy to be here.

So I'd better stop talking and share a photo since that is what this thread is really about...

May 11, 2014 at 09:16 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge

So I'll drop a couple of photos on the thread to keep it moving. I have no illusions this thread will have a long life since it is a bit of a strange bird. The bridge is in a city but it is also part of a natural setting. Folks really didn't welcome the thread on the Landscape forum. I guess we'll find out whether any of the folks visiting San Francisco will stumble on this thread and make a contribution. I'm not enough of a narcissist that I'll keep this thread alive just to show off my photos... I have another thread for that...

This was shot from above the south anchorage, though not at the vista point on the east side of the bridge and not at Baker Beach, which is a favored location for shooting the bridge. (Note Mike K's excellent shot above... the last one.)

And here is the approach to this side of the bridge...

These were shot with a forty year old manual focus lens, the 85 f/1.8 H.C. AI that a few friends and I sent around the world. It belongs to Ben who lives in Sydney, Australia. If you're curious about our lens adventure you can click on the WWW at the bottom of my posts. Quite amazing to send a lens around the world...

May 12, 2014 at 02:07 PM
pbraymond
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge

One from 2010.

May 12, 2014 at 04:28 PM
Stokesey
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge

Curtis ....

I think I paid my dues .... in the fare to get there that is ....

All the way from sunny UK

Back in 1984 my first visit was using an F3 with 80-200 f4.5

Now the first shot I will show you .... if you allow it is not of the bridge .... but from the bridge to the city ....

hand held .... long exposure .... I was initially disappointed .... but the modern art feel grew on me ....

So I submit this for your enjoyment but it's just a shade away from your theme ...

Then another from the Marin side using a Blad CM with 80mm - the slide (ektachrome) needs some work ... it's mucky

But you'll get the idea .....

Steve

© Stokesey 2014

City sky-line at night from the Golden Gate Bridge

© Stokesey 2014

Straight through the bridge from Marin side

May 12, 2014 at 05:35 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge

The usual suspects are showing up...

Welcome Ray and Steve. Even shooting with MF gear Steve... you are the man. Of course, all bets are off on this one since it is the bridge (and environs) that are the order of the day on this thread. I guess that one SF skyline deserves another... this one through the bridge cables...

Shot wide open with the 180 f/2.8 AI-s.

May 12, 2014 at 09:02 PM
CH3NO2
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge

Nice series...I like #2 the best.

May 12, 2014 at 09:23 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge

CH3NO2 wrote:
Nice series...I like #2 the best.

You might want to check back because I have a feeling there will be a few more photos added to this thread... Thanks for checking us out.

May 12, 2014 at 09:26 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge

digicV wrote:
You sir, are lucky to live north of SFO. It is just gorgeous out there.
A very interesting picture and processing. Good work

Hey Pete... I somehow missed your comment. Thanks for stopping by.

A fellow FMer from Oshkosh, Wisconsin named Monty introduced quite a few of us who hang out on the Manual Focus Nikon Glass thread to Nik's Silver Efex Pro 2. I've been experimenting a bit and definitely am enjoying it. Very often the graphical elements of a scene are so engaging that draining the color enhances the image. It is simply another tool to have available.

May 12, 2014 at 09:30 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge

Lets row this boat a bit...

This was shot from the waterfront in Tiburon through the falling rain. I had the 180 f/2.8 AI-s mounted. I was seated in my car and shooting through an open window. This very much has the feel of the bridge and bay in winter.

May 13, 2014 at 02:42 PM
pbraymond
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge

Mike, wonderful takes on a classic bridge. I especially like the second pic with the clouds. just enough bridge to tell me which one it it.

Similarly, Curtis, the shot through the cables just shows good imagination. I suppose it takes a lot of time shooting something like that to "see" a shot like that. Bravo.

May 14, 2014 at 01:30 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password