New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Polarizing filter for Canon 10-22mm

musicaljunky

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Polarizing filter for Canon 10-22mm

I'm heading to Europe. Plan to take many scenic, landscape shots. Concerned about getting a polarizing filter for this very wide angle lens and getting vignetting.

What do you think? Is a polarizing filter a must have? If so, is there an "affordable" (I realize the are expensive) slim filter you recommend?

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks in advance!

May 10, 2014 at 05:06 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Polarizing filter for Canon 10-22mm

Wouldn't do it. Polarizers on UWA's really don't perform well. You'll see…..

May 12, 2014 at 03:57 PM
musicaljunky

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Polarizing filter for Canon 10-22mm

Thanks Jeffrey.

May 12, 2014 at 07:13 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Polarizing filter for Canon 10-22mm

What is your next closest lens? If it is a 17- or 18- then that normal zoom lens with a polarizer should be enough. However, if your next lens is a 24-105 for example, I'd still have the polarizer for the 10-22. 22mm on EF-S is the equivalent of 35 mm and none too wide for a polarizer.

EBH

May 12, 2014 at 09:40 PM
musicaljunky

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Polarizing filter for Canon 10-22mm

Excellent point. My next lens is the 17-85mm and I have a polarizer for that.
Thanks.

May 12, 2014 at 11:07 PM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Polarizing filter for Canon 10-22mm

Unlike Jeffrey I use a polarizer frequently on wide angle lenses, including the 10-22. He is referring to the tendency of an open blue sky to show the variation in polarization, in the form of a darker blue area or band. That's because the wide angle lens encompasses such a wide view that it can include the part of the sky with greatest polarization (90 degree angle to the sun) and those with less, which highlights the difference.

But for all of the many other uses of a polarizer, such as reducing glare from wet or glossy non-metallic surfaces, reducing glass window reflections, and increasing foliage saturation, it works just fine with a wide angle. I would never be without one.

You probably don't need a slim filter with the 10-22. I don't have vignetting with my 77 mm B+W XS, which is moderately thick with still has outer ring threads. I haven't seen frequent reports of vignetting with the 10-22 with polarizers in general.

Dave

May 13, 2014 at 10:18 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Polarizing filter for Canon 10-22mm

You're right, Dave, I should have mentioned that I was referring to polarization of a blue sky. In the applications you mention, I agree with you.

May 13, 2014 at 11:18 AM
musicaljunky

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Polarizing filter for Canon 10-22mm

Thanks Dave. Great points.

May 13, 2014 at 11:27 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.