New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Caitlin

Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Caitlin

Went to a much better place on her uncles property. There is a river and his uncle years ago had built a small dam and power generator on the river. I don't think it functions any more, but the dam and building is still there. The water was flowing nicely today and that is the background......c&c?

Thanks!

© Herb 2014

Shot Canon 1Dx, 200f2IS, f5, 100 ISO, Westcott reflector and Canon 600 flashes

Edited on May 10, 2014 at 11:36 PM · View previous versions

May 10, 2014 at 03:07 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Caitlin

Howdy Herb.

She is a pretty girl. And that always helps a photo.

You asked for C&C.

Everything written below is written in a truly friendly manner, and with the sole intent to help you with a different POV and another set of eyes...and some honesty too.

Of course I expect we all see things differently. So, if the image you posted is exactly what you like, I encourage you to follow your own taste and please yourself. However, sometimes it is good to know what others think of our work, and it may be difficult to get beyond the easy "I like it" comments to find someone who is willing to say differently in a constructive manner.

I know that some people don't share my taste (in my own work) and that is OK with me. I produce what I like and find people (clients) who like my style or work.

The photo was made at a special and nice location. You mention the water etc. But, the image does not have any of that. The background behind the girl looks like a piece of mottled gray fabric background.

For that reason, I think it fails to use the scene/location as part of the image in a way that depicts "special location" or "water." Of course the water is behind her, but it does not LOOK like water etc.

I hope this comment helps you and others.

May 10, 2014 at 03:35 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Caitlin

Thank you for your comment....here was one we all laughed at..,.she kneeled down to get a different look and that was all the invitation that my golden retriever, Romeo, needed as an invitation to come over and lay down next to her. Fortunately she loves him....and I shot a few before I called him back to lay down out of sight.....I don't blame him....pretty young lady and a scratch on the head....as good as it gets!

© Herb 2014

Water fall behind......

May 10, 2014 at 08:20 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Caitlin

I prefer the eye contact shown in image 2.

May 10, 2014 at 08:36 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Caitlin

Herb, take a look at your description of your picture. Every word in your description was about the environment. Now take a look at the picture that went with the description. Absolutely nothing from your description made it into your picture. The point I'm making is that you found this beautiful setting but ultimately chose not to utilize it in the making of your image. You might as well have been in your backyard. The water is minimized to bokeh.

In your second shot that you posted, we're just beginning to get a sense of the beauty of your location. We're just touching on it.

Your first shot is a nice medium closeup of a pretty young lady. If you're going to shoot an environmental portrait, and utilize a beautiful location, then shoot wide and feature the location as much as you do her. You also need to get the medium closeup.

I hope I'm at least a little helpful. Your picture is good as it is, a few nits I would change, I'm just saying it's different from your description and I'd really love to see this location featured more.

May 10, 2014 at 09:08 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Caitlin

Agree with the above. The first two shots she's got nice smiles, but she's looking away.

Maybe stop down the lens to show the waterfall behind more clearly.

May 11, 2014 at 12:25 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Caitlin

That first picture is AWESOME! While normally I like eye contact, in that image she's clearly engaged in a way that is bringing out her best smile and you have just enough dead space to the right to make it work. Well done.

I also like the 3rd picture and the eye contact. Great background and surroundings.

The 2nd picture does not work because she is looking out of the image ... you need dead space in the direction of the gaze in order for images without eye contact to work. Also, in that image the gaze does not seem engaged but posed.

May 11, 2014 at 10:59 AM
gempixel
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Caitlin

I absolutely love #1 Herb! As soon as see that smile I forget the rest of the picture even exist! Nicely done.

May 11, 2014 at 11:03 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Caitlin

Agreed on the second image.....thanks!

Andre Labonte wrote:
That first picture is AWESOME! While normally I like eye contact, in that image she's clearly engaged in a way that is bringing out her best smile and you have just enough dead space to the right to make it work. Well done.

I also like the 3rd picture and the eye contact. Great background and surroundings.

The 2nd picture does not work because she is looking out of the image ... you need dead space in the direction of the gaze in order for images without eye contact to work. Also, in that image the gaze does not seem
...Show more

May 11, 2014 at 09:28 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.