New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Utah highways.

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Utah highways.

I have always liked the Arizona Highways magazine with the colorful landscapes of Arizona under blue sky’s with big white clouds and a Kodachrome look about them. I live in Utah and we have similar light and landscapes hence the name change.

I want to see if I can emulate what I remember, and wanted to use this forum to pursue this. I will post a few images I already have and ask for suggestions on how to make this work.

1. Is it even worth doing?

2. Am I getting the look?

3. Help me refine the look.

4. Composition, capture, post processing?

Utah Highways 1

May 10, 2014 at 09:00 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Utah highways.

Why I am doing this.

I have been finding that I prefer my own prints when they emulate this look over typical sunset/sunrise shots. Not that a really good sunrise is not a winner, but that everything must be perfect or it won’t. The problem I find, is that sunsets display much better on a monitor than in print.

May 10, 2014 at 09:01 AM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Utah highways.

Ben, that sounds like a fun project. I think you've got the blue skies part pretty well in this image. The foreground seems slightly (like, 1/3 stop?) too dark, if you are going for a "bright sunny day image." Composition seems a little too tight on the right side?

May 10, 2014 at 09:47 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Utah highways.

FarmerJohn wrote:
Ben, that sounds like a fun project. I think you've got the blue skies part pretty well in this image. The foreground seems slightly (like, 1/3 stop?) too dark, if you are going for a "bright sunny day image." Composition seems a little too tight on the right side?

Thanks for the input. The sky was what I was going for and I was sorry I did not include more to the right. I could easily brighten the cliffs. It was taken near mid day and I was wanting it to be a bit earlier. Not golden hour so much as earlier morning or late afternoon.

May 10, 2014 at 10:58 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Utah highways.

Here is one where I brightened the cliffs 1/2 stop. 1/3 was so hard to notice that I went a bit past.

May 10, 2014 at 03:04 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Utah highways.

deleted

Edited on May 11, 2014 at 02:08 PM · View previous versions

May 11, 2014 at 09:24 AM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Utah highways.

Hey Ben, I think the 2nd version is better. I definitely get the "Blue skies and sunny days" vibe.
I also am wondering about the leveling, but I'm guessing your camera was level and it's the rocks that are angled.

May 11, 2014 at 09:47 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Utah highways.

FarmerJohn wrote:
Hey Ben, I think the 2nd version is better. I definitely get the "Blue skies and sunny days" vibe.
I also am wondering about the leveling, but I'm guessing your camera was level and it's the rocks that are angled.

Thanks, this was hand held so it probably does need leveling, but I don't have a reference.

May 11, 2014 at 09:56 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.