Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Floating blind......Don't laugh!

DonGut
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Floating blind......Don't laugh!

This is it. I've thought about the construction for some time. My neighbour engineer helped with a floating prefab construction slab; a waste piece that was cut for a door. It's 5" thick with a foam core laminated between thick plastic. You could substitute dense Styrofoam bonded to plywood. I put a stainless steel border around with a 2" flange to attach my structure. I used 2 X 2" lumber to make a frame in sections; sides, front and roof. I had some roofing fabric left from roofing my house last year. This is water proof and doesn't tear easily. I assembled on the water, attached to the shore with ropes and put up "baffles" in case there are ducks on the pond, I can hide as I get in and the ducks won't fly off. I put some bolts through the floor that I can mount my Jobu or Wimberley head to. This makes shooting much easier. Cushions help, a chair for down time. Cut holes in wall and serve!!
Attracting the ducks with corn helps for mallards and woodies; hoodies eat fish and crabs. (There go my bass at $5 a piece!!!!!).
My blind is situated for evening light.
It's amazing how even 6" of height makes a difference in the look of your shot.
I've set up duck boxes also to keep the ducks interested. Both the woodies and hoodies nest in the boxes.
And the secret ingredient...and please don't reveal this to just anyone....., a right angle viewfinder. It takes some practice tracking moving targets, but at my age it's getting tough to get that low, stay that low, and get up after being that low.
Enjoy responsibly and don't drink and float!! Don

DonGut 2014

The set up with my house in the BG.

DonGut 2014

Side view

DonGut 2014

Inside; the mystery revealed. I don't have a degree in construction!

DonGut 2014

The approach!

DonGut 2014

The results!!!!!

May 09, 2014 at 11:34 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Floating blind......Don't laugh!

Awesome stuff Don. Love how you even have the approach blinded. The results speak for themselves.

TFS
Geoff

May 09, 2014 at 11:40 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Floating blind......Don't laugh!

That is way cool, Don! I believe the only thing that could improve that floating blind is a cooler full of ice and beer
Thanks for sharing this. Well done!
Socrate

Edited on May 09, 2014 at 11:55 PM · View previous versions

May 09, 2014 at 11:55 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Floating blind......Don't laugh!

Don, this is awesome and why would you think we'd laugh...of course I expect you are getting royalties from GAF for advertising their product. Your flotel looks very comfy...more so than how I stayed in Brazil. And more importantly, the results are great!
Eric

May 09, 2014 at 11:55 PM
DonGut
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Floating blind......Don't laugh!

Shasoc wrote:
That is way cool, Don! I believe the only thing that could improve that floating blind is a cooler full of ice and beer
Thanks for sharing this. Well done!
Socrate

Thanks Socrate for the idea. I'll work on it for sure!! Don

May 10, 2014 at 01:21 AM
DonGut
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Floating blind......Don't laugh!

arbitrage wrote:
Awesome stuff Don. Love how you even have the approach blinded. The results speak for themselves.

TFS
Geoff

Thanks Geoff. Out of season it will double as a room for my in-laws to stay!! Don

May 10, 2014 at 01:22 AM
DonGut
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Floating blind......Don't laugh!

eyelaser wrote:
Don, this is awesome and why would you think we'd laugh...of course I expect you are getting royalties from GAF for advertising their product. Your flotel looks very comfy...more so than how I stayed in Brazil. And more importantly, the results are great!
Eric

Royalties are rolling in. And Mr. Munn is planning an upgrade based on my design!
Thanks Eric. Don

May 10, 2014 at 01:24 AM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Floating blind......Don't laugh!

Way too cool Don. A stupid Q from my side; does it stay moored or is there way you can paddle or float around ? OMG you just need to attract some Kingfishers!!

May 10, 2014 at 01:29 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Floating blind......Don't laugh!

I was wondering when I saw your shots in the other post of yours when you said 'floating blind' and now I know and I thought you had an ingenious idea but had no idea you were going to share it.........Orrrrrrrr rent it out

So next step is to go mobile and have a small electric motor on it Or, perhaps a lower level with a see through plexiglass window for underwater viewing or split viewing
Do you think some camo cover may also help Don to reduce that bold stand out against the natural shoreline?

I think this is great.........really super great buddy!
Karl

May 10, 2014 at 01:42 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Floating blind......Don't laugh!

Oh so creative !!! Your shots certainly show the rewards for your efforts.

Birdie

May 10, 2014 at 01:42 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Floating blind......Don't laugh!

great set-up Don.. i also hope you get some kingfishers

May 10, 2014 at 01:50 AM
mikedec
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Floating blind......Don't laugh!

Very nice Don. You've shown a lot of ingenuity in designing this set-up and the results speak for themselves.

May 10, 2014 at 01:57 AM
kbarrera
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Floating blind......Don't laugh!

One or two baths?

That's pretty cool. As a general contractor I'm thinking camo Tyvek.

Al

May 10, 2014 at 01:57 AM
Plinian
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Floating blind......Don't laugh!

Terrific, Don, and thanks for sharing that little secret (I kept wondering how you were getting so low without getting wet)!

Hey, speaking of flotels, this one won't be complete without a "Hoodies guaranteed" logo on the side!

Greg

May 10, 2014 at 01:59 AM
Noveske

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Floating blind......Don't laugh!

Very smart! I want to see more photos from your little hut!

May 10, 2014 at 02:23 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Floating blind......Don't laugh!

I agree with Socrate, but you will need two coolers to keep the blind floating level ~ Ron

May 10, 2014 at 02:30 AM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Floating blind......Don't laugh!

Where is the BBQ and the cooler?..................great love it Don.

Ted

May 10, 2014 at 02:36 AM
DonGut
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Floating blind......Don't laugh!

Karl Witt wrote:
I was wondering when I saw your shots in the other post of yours when you said 'floating blind' and now I know and I thought you had an ingenious idea but had no idea you were going to share it.........Orrrrrrrr rent it out

So next step is to go mobile and have a small electric motor on it Or, perhaps a lower level with a see through plexiglass window for underwater viewing or split viewing
Do you think some camo cover may also help Don to reduce that bold stand out against the natural shoreline?

I think this is
...Show more
Thanks Karl. The birds don't mind the colour as long as they don't see me. Maybe I could spray it dark or "camo". No plans for a sub hatch, but thanks to yours and others comments I'm thinking seriously about an electric motor. This is turning into an elaborate undertaking.
Come for a shoot anytime; just boat across the Erie lake! Don

May 10, 2014 at 04:12 AM
DonGut
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Floating blind......Don't laugh!

surfnron wrote:
I agree with Socrate, but you will need two coolers to keep the blind floating level ~ Ron

Thanks Ron. It's always about balance.......and beer! Don

May 10, 2014 at 04:13 AM
DonGut
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Floating blind......Don't laugh!

Ted ellis wrote:
Where is the BBQ and the cooler?..................great love it Don.

Ted

Thanks Ted. BBQ.....MMMMM! Sounds like model #2. Don

May 10, 2014 at 04:14 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password