FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · A shot from Studhorse Point

Slabshaft
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A shot from Studhorse Point

This was taken a few weeks ago at Stuhorse Point. It's one of my favorite places and we were lucky to have a pretty decent sky to work with. I've been playing with some methods of adding color, dodging and burning and ended up with some decent results I think. This one started in Lab color mode before going to AdobeRGB.

The light here wasn't perfect. I ended up missing a short period of the sun poking through the clouds which lit up the hoodoo. I goofed by assuming it wouldn't happen and I ventured to a different spot and missed my perfect shot. Still, I'm generally happy with it. I may end up doing a bit to enhance the highlights in the sky before going to print. C&C always welcome.

May 09, 2014 at 01:38 AM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A shot from Studhorse Point

You need somehow to highlight that one lonely hoodoo hidden in the shadows. Sky is good, but what is the subject?

May 09, 2014 at 07:13 AM
Slabshaft
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A shot from Studhorse Point

Yeah it's the one thing holding it back. I'm going to play with that and see if I can highlight it without it looking weird.

May 09, 2014 at 08:10 AM
piik

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A shot from Studhorse Point

great.. Thanks for sharing

May 09, 2014 at 11:03 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A shot from Studhorse Point

Hey John,

Yeah... I have done that too... I hate when it happens, that just as one decides to look somewhere else, or set up for another shot since the light wasn't happening, or as often in my case the waves aren't splashing right. And a minute after I move my composition, then the wave splashes where I had just moved from... Ughh...

This does look pretty cool, I do like the look of it, the sky is looking pretty cool, so as a viewer I am not feeling like I am missing anything. I do think Stan brings up a good point about brightening up that hoodoo just a little bit. A little extra side lighting to it could work really well.

Jim

May 09, 2014 at 03:02 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.