FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              17       18       end

Archive 2014 · Question for Holdfast users

rsq1

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question for Holdfast users

For those who use the Holdfast Money maker two camera strap setup: How do you carry an extra or third lens on you?
I saw that Holdfast also has the Explorer Lens Pouch, anybody try this pouch?

May 09, 2014 at 12:49 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question for Holdfast users

I have a lowepro lens bag that I carry around and keep nearby. My assistant will also bring me a lens. Generally I'm mainly switching often during things like details and getting ready.

They do make some stuff to put on your belt etc but I don't like that look of having pouches and stuff on your person.

May 09, 2014 at 02:14 AM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question for Holdfast users

rsq1 wrote:
For those who use the Holdfast Money maker two camera strap setup: How do you carry an extra or third lens on you?
I saw that Holdfast also has the Explorer Lens Pouch, anybody try this pouch?

Matt is going to release a few new bags later in the year. He's hinted at a leather lens bag to match the Roamographer. So if the lens pouch isn't quite what you're looking for maybe wait a bit.

Definitely one of the more exciting breakthrough companies of the last couple years

May 09, 2014 at 10:31 AM
mineymole
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question for Holdfast users

I carry a bag around with me that I set on the ground when I need more than two lenses.

May 09, 2014 at 12:45 PM
Photo197726
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question for Holdfast users

Finally! A $300 camera strap that will complete my hipster image and be worthy of the irony.

May 09, 2014 at 01:46 PM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question for Holdfast users

well it's expensive and yes, it's kind of hipster, but to be honest it's also the best system for a dual camera setup I've used, including all of black rapids offerings and the spider holster.

May 09, 2014 at 03:23 PM
jamesmorophoto
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question for Holdfast users

are you f-ing kidding me?!? it's $300!?!? whaaaaaaaa

May 09, 2014 at 11:09 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Question for Holdfast users

As a dual-camera shooter, I have never used anything that comes even close to being as comfortable and easy as these harnesses.

To answer the OP, I still carry a bag with me for extra lenses

May 09, 2014 at 11:35 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Question for Holdfast users

Photo197726 wrote:
A $300 camera strap that will complete my hipster image

Haha! Look at this guy wearin' it:

May 10, 2014 at 01:02 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Question for Holdfast users

I own a brown and a black one, and I'm not remotely hipster. And I think that guy looks ridiculous.

May 10, 2014 at 01:25 AM
johnrg
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Question for Holdfast users

It's on the pricey side for what it is, but I definitely like it better than the Spider/Black Rapid setup I was using. It will also really hold up over time, I think. My only complaint with them is the eyelets that attach to the cameras have a small opening. While it's really easy to remove a camera, I find it somewhat difficult to attach a camera while wearing it.

May 10, 2014 at 10:43 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Question for Holdfast users

^^ I dislike their newer clips, but the old style ones I have on mine are great.

May 10, 2014 at 02:13 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Question for Holdfast users

Photo197726 wrote:
Finally! A $300 camera strap that will complete my hipster image and be worthy of the irony.

Having a cool image is even more important than producing them.

JUST KIDDING... more or less.

May 10, 2014 at 05:36 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Question for Holdfast users

TTLKurtis wrote:
^^ I dislike their newer clips, but the old style ones I have on mine are great.

I saw Matt's video of the new quick release clips and they look pretty amazing, what don't you like about them?

I just ordered mine yesterday. It's been hard to find candid reviews of the Money Maker. Most reviews are 100% positive. When I get mine I'm going to write a review that's completely open.

Reviews or video of the bags don't even exist. I plan to post some stuff to YouTube.

May 10, 2014 at 06:41 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Question for Holdfast users

The new clips are really hard for me to get on the camera quickly. Comes off super-easy, but really awkward for me to get it back on and sometimes for reception etc. I have to hold the camera above my head if there's no other way for me to get a shot so getting it on/off the strap quickly is important to me. He claims he can get it on and off quick, but I didn't like it.

In terms of negatives, the only thing for me that could maybe be a negative is that it doesn't particularly distribute the weight to your back, it's still on your shoulders basically. Like a police gun holster will have a big piece of leather between the shoulder blades in the back where the shoulder straps each connect. This is basically just two belts riveted together in terms of construction. So I think there could potentially be some improvement there somewhere in long-term comfort with heavy bodies and lenses but it's been more comfortable than the alternatives.

Then of course there's the price... but it's a pretty simple product so there's not much to criticize.

May 10, 2014 at 11:05 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Question for Holdfast users

TTLKurtis wrote:
The new clips are really hard for me to get on the camera quickly. Comes off super-easy, but really awkward for me to get it back on and sometimes for reception etc. I have to hold the camera above my head if there's no other way for me to get a shot so getting it on/off the strap quickly is important to me. He claims he can get it on and off quick, but I didn't like it.

In terms of negatives, the only thing for me that could maybe be a negative is that it doesn't particularly distribute the weight
...Show more

Holding it above my head is exactly why I started using a leash for receptions. My Money Maker will be here next week, if they're a pain like you're saying maybe I can swap out for one of the old style clips. I'll let you know how it goes. I also got the portrait sliders, maybe I'll like those better.

May 10, 2014 at 11:49 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Question for Holdfast users

I have the portrait sliders for my left side cameras but that doesn't affect ability to hold high above your head.

May 11, 2014 at 12:19 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Question for Holdfast users

TTLKurtis wrote:
sometimes for reception etc. I have to hold the camera above my head if there's no other way for me to get a shot

I once worked with a guy who did that. I happened to be standing next to some guests who saw him raising the camera overhead and, boy, were they impressed! They were talking amongst themselves, saying things like "Wow, he must be a real Pro ... I bet he takes great pictures."

May 11, 2014 at 01:24 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Question for Holdfast users

Diggler it has nothing to do with impressing anyone, there are simply times where there is not another way to get the shot unless you're 6'6". If a group of people crowd around the bride and groom and are embracing them I try and get a good shot that isn't just people's backsides. My apologies if holding your camera away from your eye to take a chance for a photograph is below you, while you wear your batman utility belt full of lenses and stealthy all-black uniform.

May 11, 2014 at 11:06 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Question for Holdfast users

TTLKurtis wrote:
My apologies if holding your camera away from your eye to take a chance for a photograph is below you

Dude, it seems you misunderstood something I said. That story I related above - about overhearing the guests - is a true story. I guess my point was for you to know that some guests watching on will view your overheard shooting as impressively "professional."

May 11, 2014 at 09:00 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.