Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · How would you have handled this?

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How would you have handled this?

I hiked to Corona Arch with just one lens, a 24-70. I was surprised to find a group of bungee jumpers at the top so I waited for the next jumper.

I wanted the entire arch for scale so I choose my distance for that when zoomed to 70mm and shot a 19 burst sequence. The 100% crops show the jumper but the full frame is less informative unless viewed at 100%.

Here are a few shots at full size and cropped.

start of jump

crop of last image

Bottom of jump

crop of last image

The big swing after the fall

May 08, 2014 at 09:49 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How would you have handled this?

And a crop of the last

May 08, 2014 at 09:50 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How would you have handled this?

Did you consider a portrait orientation and a somewhat closer vantage point?

May 09, 2014 at 09:01 AM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How would you have handled this?

Ben, I think a crop of #1 with the guy in the upper left and showing the arch and the expanse underneath would be very effective. It would show the 'anticipation' at the start of the jump.

May 09, 2014 at 09:48 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How would you have handled this?

RustyBug wrote:
Did you consider a portrait orientation and a somewhat closer vantage point?

I did then dismissed it. Portrait orientation is very non ergonomic for me, I always feel like I need to turn my head 90 degrees. I only use it on a tripod and never for hand held action. But that is a good idea because it would allow me to get closer and still have the entire arch. My 70-200 was back in the truck, that would have worked too, Start at 200 and zoom back for some of the images to get the bridge.

May 09, 2014 at 10:07 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How would you have handled this?

FarmerJohn wrote:
Ben, I think a crop of #1 with the guy in the upper left and showing the arch and the expanse underneath would be very effective. It would show the 'anticipation' at the start of the jump.

Like this? I also included a larger crop of the second because it shows him against a clear sky.

larger crop of 1

Larger crop of 2

May 09, 2014 at 10:13 AM
Healey
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How would you have handled this?

I would have framed (and exposed) the shot like there were no jumpers just like a normal landscape. So don't put the jumpers in the middle of the frame. Then there just happens to be some action in a great landscape than an action shot with an arch. That is why you wanted the whole arch in the first place, to give it the sense of environment. Or at least that is what I assumed.

I would have underexposed a bit because I would like to see some more detail in the sky and the dark detail on the rock and jumpers is not as important.

But it is hard to set up fast when you get an opportunity like this. Fun shots!

May 09, 2014 at 10:34 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How would you have handled this?

Healey wrote:
I would have framed (and exposed) the shot like there were no jumpers just like a normal landscape. So don't put the jumpers in the middle of the frame. Then there just happens to be some action in a great landscape than an action shot with an arch. That is why you wanted the whole arch in the first place, to give it the sense of environment. Or at least that is what I assumed.

I would have underexposed a bit because I would like to see some more detail in the sky and the dark detail on the rock and
...Show more

Right, crummy mid day overcast light which is why I did not take my entire kit. So it was basically a record shot. But even record shots can be done right.

Getting closer, shooting vertically and darkening are all good ideas.

I actually got a 19 shot burst so I have something like 3 shots before he even cleared the top of the bridge. I considered going to video mode but videos are hard to display unless you are into Facebook or something.

May 09, 2014 at 11:04 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How would you have handled this?

Healey wrote:
But it is hard to set up fast when you get an opportunity like this.

+1 @ it's easier to "armchair quarterback" the game reels, than play the game in "real time".

May 09, 2014 at 11:19 AM
Noveske

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How would you have handled this?

Wow. I'd love to visit this place. I would use cropped or slightly cropped versions.

May 09, 2014 at 08:06 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.