Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · Canon EF 100-400mm--Dust Vacuum?

Eulipian

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon EF 100-400mm--Dust Vacuum?

I've been looking on the Buy-Sell forum for a Canon EF 100-400 for use shooting water polo and canoe racing (lucky to live in HI). It seems like a good choice, but I've also been reading about it being a "dust vacuum" because of the way the zoom operates. I know it's not a crisp as the fixed fl lenses, but this is purely amateur work for my daughter's activities and it's a big expense even for a used one. I wonder if others would share their experiences and specifically whether there are any function or maintenance issues with these lenses? If there are issues, are the years in which it's been better or worse? Thank you for any information or experiences.

Carl

May 08, 2014 at 02:57 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon EF 100-400mm--Dust Vacuum?

If I remember correctly, plenty of users have never had problems with the dust issue. It seemed to get overblown on the internet forums like many many other problems in photography. Tons of people around here use them all of the time without issue.

Disclosure - I do not own one.

May 08, 2014 at 03:06 PM
voltaire
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon EF 100-400mm--Dust Vacuum?

Never had such an experience with 100-400. I bought this lens twice and both served its purpose very well.

Thanks,
Voltaire

May 08, 2014 at 03:10 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon EF 100-400mm--Dust Vacuum?

Some have had issues with this, but I have yet to see any evidence that it affects images from the 100-400.
I don't think my 100-400 has been a "dust vacuum" and there is no signs of it being an issue in my images for the 4+ years I have owned it. I think the logic is that the design is an issue, but there seems to be little evidence of this design issue causing problems in actual use.
In regards to different years of manufacture making a difference, I've read that more recent (i.e.: the last 6 years or so) lenses have improved sample variation than previous years.

For action sports, especially when the longest focal length is a priority, the 400 f5.6 gets more recommendations than the 100-400.
It's a bit sharper and it's better AF performance makes it better for sports action. In a pinch it takes a 1.4x teleconverter better as well.
The 100-400 is more versatile, of course.

May 08, 2014 at 03:10 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon EF 100-400mm--Dust Vacuum?

I've owned one for almost a decade. Yes there is air movement with the push-pull zoom. If you use it in dirty, dusty conditions, some dust can get pushed into the camera... Just how much? I think this can get overblown. I used it on dusty little league fields for the first five years I owned it. I had dirty sensors but didn't have anything else to compare it to. The lens has seals that prevent most debris from entering... If I were you, I'd be more worried about salt spray than dust...

May 08, 2014 at 03:25 PM
krementz
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon EF 100-400mm--Dust Vacuum?

The "dust vacuum" myth is silly. Regardless whether a lens is focused trombone-like or by twisting, the lens barrel goes in and out. If the barrel was airtight, you couldn't move the lens at all.

Any lens, in very dustry conditions, will get some dust, trombone or not. It very, very rarely has any impact on image quality, and most people don't constantly stay in dust storms. Go shoot and have fun.

May 08, 2014 at 03:29 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon EF 100-400mm--Dust Vacuum?

Hi Carl,

The most common name is "dust trombone".

Both names are equally inappropriate.

The 100-400/4.5-5.6L IS is a full-up L-series lens. It's not (quite) as sharp at most focal lengths as equivalent L-series prime lenses, but none (or only a few) of the zooms are. This is because a zoom lens is a working collection of compromises, in comparison with a prime lens with optics that are optimized for a single focal length.

No need to apologise for wanting to use this lens.

I bought a new one in Jan 2012, and I use it quite a lot. I just checked its innards, and if I was going to sell it today, I'd say (about dust), "has a very small amount of internal dust - no effect on image quality at all". That's as good as, or better than, what I've said for 95% of the other 224 (and counting) lenses that I've sold (with 100% user satisfaction).

There is one maintenance issue that I'm aware of for this lens, and others like it (e.g. 28-300/3.5-5.6 L IS). The zoom tube has a rotating lock collar at its base, that you use to lock the lens at any particular zoom setting. I normally use this to lock it at 100mm, to avoid "zoom-creep".

If somebody tries to zoom the lens when the zoom-lock ring is engaged (i.e. it's locked), it can wear/strip/mess-up the locking gizmo, and destroy the gasket that is a central part of this gizmo. From what I understand, this is not a particularly expensive problem to fix, but it's something to avoid if you're looking at used " 'bones".

May 08, 2014 at 03:30 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon EF 100-400mm--Dust Vacuum?

I've had 2 of these with no dust problems. My current 100-400 was bought in 2003 and has been to many dusty areas/safaris of the world.

May 08, 2014 at 03:32 PM
wtlloyd
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon EF 100-400mm--Dust Vacuum?

Much ado about nothing...

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/08/the-apocalypse-of-lens-dust

May 08, 2014 at 04:17 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon EF 100-400mm--Dust Vacuum?

I've had two copies. Zero problems.

The people who think this is a dust pump (which is the name I've seen most) are the people who seem to deliberately move it from 100-400 and back as fast as possible with the intention of seeing just how much air they can move in and out as quickly as possible. Stupid people. All zooms breath air to some extent, even the ones that twist. The question is how fast can you do it?

May 08, 2014 at 04:23 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon EF 100-400mm--Dust Vacuum?

Dave_EP wrote:
I've had two copies. Zero problems.

The people who think this is a dust pump (which is the name I've seen most) are the people who seem to deliberately move it from 100-400 and back as fast as possible with the intention of seeing just how much air they can move in and out as quickly as possible. Stupid people. All zooms breath air to some extent, even the ones that twist. The question is how fast can you do it?

Ditto, plus I never knew that Honolulu was a dust bowl.

May 08, 2014 at 04:39 PM
Eulipian

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon EF 100-400mm--Dust Vacuum?

Salt in the air is an issue here, Ralph, for sure. Thanks for sharing your experience.

May 08, 2014 at 04:47 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon EF 100-400mm--Dust Vacuum?

Eulipian wrote:
Salt in the air is an issue here, Ralph, for sure. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Here too, on the best coast of Canada.

May 08, 2014 at 04:48 PM
Eulipian

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon EF 100-400mm--Dust Vacuum?

With constant trade winds most of the year, there's lots of junk blowing around, Tony, including sand and dust. I appreciate your response.

May 08, 2014 at 04:49 PM
Eulipian

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon EF 100-400mm--Dust Vacuum?

I'm not going to be using it to pump up the old bike tires, so it should be fine. Thanks for responding.

May 08, 2014 at 04:50 PM
Eulipian

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon EF 100-400mm--Dust Vacuum?

the Dustpoaclypse is apparently NOT coming anytime soon. Thanks to all.

May 08, 2014 at 04:54 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon EF 100-400mm--Dust Vacuum?

Eulipian wrote:
I'm not going to be using it to pump up the old bike tires, so it should be fine. Thanks for responding.

... But it's nice to know that you can in a tight ...

May 08, 2014 at 04:56 PM
Eulipian

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon EF 100-400mm--Dust Vacuum?

Jefferson wrote:
... But it's nice to know that you can in a tight ...

Absolutely true. Adaptability is the key to survival, always.

May 08, 2014 at 05:17 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon EF 100-400mm--Dust Vacuum?

jcolwell wrote:
Here too, on the best coast of Canada.

Please excuse the Easterner. Everyone know the west is best.

May 08, 2014 at 05:35 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon EF 100-400mm--Dust Vacuum?

I've owned one for several years, and any dust that might be present inside certainly doesn't show up in any images.

However I do notice I have to clean my 1D Mark II sensor a lot more frequently when I leave this lens attached to it.

I don't have to clean my 6D or even 1D Mk III sensor as often when I leave the lens attached to them for the same periods of time.

May 08, 2014 at 05:36 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.