Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Model shot at Canon in Action seminar at Westin Book Cadillac Detroit

Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Model shot at Canon in Action seminar at Westin Book Cadillac Detroit

My wife and I both attended the two day seminar and while some may have been bored, we had a great time and picked up some tips on using the Canon 600 ex-rt flash. Here is a photo from the shoot that I took. We used 600 flash units for all work....

© Herb 2014

Canon 1Dx, 85f1.2, 3 Canon 600 flashes

May 07, 2014 at 09:46 PM
elliotkramer
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Model shot at Canon in Action seminar at Westin Book Cadillac Detroit

This is a nice photo in many ways, but it looks way over sharpened. You can see this in the "beading" of the hair as well as in other areas. This also makes her skin seem rough. I'm not sure why this was done on a female portrait as softness is often the goal. Perhaps the original was a little soft? It is hard to get accurate focus with the 85 1.2. I also personally feel the contrast is too high as well.

May 07, 2014 at 10:17 PM
rodmcwha
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Model shot at Canon in Action seminar at Westin Book Cadillac Detroit

elliotkramer wrote:
This is a nice photo in many ways, but it looks way over sharpened. You can see this in the "beading" of the hair as well as in other areas. This also makes her skin seem rough. I'm not sure why this was done on a female portrait as softness is often the goal. Perhaps the original was a little soft? It is hard to get accurate focus with the 85 1.2. I also personally feel the contrast is too high as well.

I have to disagree, elliot. If you are looking at it at 100%, you are absolutely right, BUT it was not sharpened to be looked at at 100%. It was sharpened to be looked at at 5x7 on a monitor. As such, In my opinion it looks great.
You say it should have been a softer look-ok as a portrait it probably should, maybe this was intended for advertising, editorial, maybe a business publication.
We often tend to look at a shot and see what WE wanted it to be, and critique whatever keeps it from that goal.

May 07, 2014 at 10:25 PM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Model shot at Canon in Action seminar at Westin Book Cadillac Detroit

I'm looking at it at about 8x10 on my monitor and it looks really good. I don't think it looks too sharp. The only thing I am not really happy with is the color of the back ground compared to her hair.

May 08, 2014 at 06:16 AM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Model shot at Canon in Action seminar at Westin Book Cadillac Detroit

I think this is a nice shot and the lighting balance is good.

On my setup, her skin looks rough from a normal viewing distance. From a little ways back it looks fine.

May 08, 2014 at 08:13 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Model shot at Canon in Action seminar at Westin Book Cadillac Detroit

I probably did over sharpen. I sharpened coming out of RAW converter in PS and then hit it again with unsharp filter. One sharpen too much. I will redo tonight and give her a new posting.

May 08, 2014 at 11:07 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Model shot at Canon in Action seminar at Westin Book Cadillac Detroit

Canon had her set up with that background and we moved from station to station. I actually liked the background when I first saw it on my camera.

The beauty of the world, to each their own.
DaveOls wrote:
I'm looking at it at about 8x10 on my monitor and it looks really good. I don't think it looks too sharp. The only thing I am not really happy with is the color of the back ground compared to her hair.

May 08, 2014 at 11:09 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Model shot at Canon in Action seminar at Westin Book Cadillac Detroit

The rub I have with the Canon transmitter is that it is literally 1/2 of a 600. It does not have the focus assist and in low light which we had, made it tough for some to achieve focus.

Most of the photos I took there were f5.6 to f8
elliotkramer wrote:

May 08, 2014 at 11:13 AM
John Caldwell
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Model shot at Canon in Action seminar at Westin Book Cadillac Detroit

Key light at camera left seems quite strong and misfocused. I would have thought your goal was to create some modeling along the face with that light, but the light kits her left shoulder hard, and falls behind her frontal hairline. Toning the blouse down will help with the brightness distraction, but not really address the relative flatness of the light across the face. Perhaps I missed what you were going for, and if so, forgive my comments.

John Caldwell

May 08, 2014 at 01:16 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Model shot at Canon in Action seminar at Westin Book Cadillac Detroit

John Caldwell wrote:
Key light at camera left seems quite strong and misfocused. I would have thought your goal was to create some modeling along the face with that light, but the light kits her left shoulder hard, and falls behind her frontal hairline. Toning the blouse down will help with the brightness distraction, but not really address the relative flatness of the light across the face. Perhaps I missed what you were going for, and if so, forgive my comments.

John Caldwell

I think the shot looks quite good as is. John's comments are well thought out, IMO and his suggestions should improve an already good picture.

May 08, 2014 at 02:35 PM
tonyfield
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Model shot at Canon in Action seminar at Westin Book Cadillac Detroit

Nice shot of a lovely lady. Seems to me the hair light is overly strong compared to the main light and the face shadow's mood.

May 08, 2014 at 02:42 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Model shot at Canon in Action seminar at Westin Book Cadillac Detroit

tonyfield wrote:
Nice shot of a lovely lady. Seems to me the hair light is overly strong compared to the main light and the face shadow's mood.

agreed

May 08, 2014 at 08:15 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Model shot at Canon in Action seminar at Westin Book Cadillac Detroit

Herb wrote:
I probably did over sharpen. I sharpened coming out of RAW converter in PS and then hit it again with unsharp filter. One sharpen too much. I will redo tonight and give her a new posting.

yes, many portraits don't need strong sharpening

May 09, 2014 at 06:58 PM
tele_pathic
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Model shot at Canon in Action seminar at Westin Book Cadillac Detroit

great pics.

May 10, 2014 at 12:33 PM
Yucca
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Model shot at Canon in Action seminar at Westin Book Cadillac Detroit

Nice shot

May 10, 2014 at 01:34 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.