Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Is civility diminishing meaningful conversation … ?

Jefferson
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is civility diminishing meaningful conversation … ?

... Just too much get'n along go'n on here ...

Opinons ... ? ... Everyone should have at least one pent up somewhere ...

Jefferson ...

May 07, 2014 at 05:39 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is civility diminishing meaningful conversation … ?

May 07, 2014 at 06:50 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is civility diminishing meaningful conversation … ?

Good point. We should be able to call a spade a spade, but unfortunately the Internet and sensitivities seem to preclude that.

May 08, 2014 at 06:42 AM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is civility diminishing meaningful conversation … ?

I believe the lack of civility and rational, intelligent discussion is directly related to the almost total collapse of the U.S. (and other 'free world' countries) education system. It is much easier to resort to 4 letter words and ignorant responses than to take the time and effort to understand the other parties in any discussion. It is also a fact that ignorant people hide behind their keyboards and flex their 'beer muscles' to show how truly brave they really are.

May 08, 2014 at 02:08 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is civility diminishing meaningful conversation … ?

If civility means I have to walk around in constant fear of offending someone, well, then Pizz on civility or, alternatively, meaningful discussion. Some of the most meaningful discussions I've been party to have been devoid of civility. Short story: if you can't take the heat, get *^%# outta the flames

May 08, 2014 at 02:47 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is civility diminishing meaningful conversation … ?

Paul Mo wrote:
Good point. We should be able to call a spade a spade, but unfortunately the Internet and sensitivities seem to preclude that.

There are certainly a large number of people who seem to wake up in the morning with a strong desire to be offended, generally on behalf of someone else. That, i have to say, does annoy me. It is not an internet-only phenomenon either.

On the other hand, we often don't help ourselves on forums like this: Frequently it seems pretty clear that people don't actually read what they write before hitting the OK button, and often in our efforts to be brief we are overly terse, which can lead to misunderstandings.

May 08, 2014 at 03:14 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is civility diminishing meaningful conversation … ?

Don't get me started! I'm having a good day!

May 08, 2014 at 03:46 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is civility diminishing meaningful conversation … ?

Perhaps if you need to raise your voice you might want to visit a website focusing on religion, politics or international affairs. Frankly, it is only a silly person who would get exorcised over camera systems or gear. We'll be told either that they are simply tools of the trade and therefore infinitely changing or they're part of a hobby where the object is simply having fun. What's to get worked up about any of that?

Now, on the other hand, you probably have some feelings about what is happening at the moment in the Middle East... That will get the juices flowing for a great many people who will be easy to find. Have fun.

May 08, 2014 at 04:49 PM
2ndviolinman
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is civility diminishing meaningful conversation … ?

"Now, on the other hand, you probably have some feelings about what is happening at the moment in the Middle East... That will get the juices flowing for a great many people who will be easy to find. Have fun."

Or, if you want that same level of feeling in a discussion loosely related to photography, go to POTN and join one of the regular discussions on the merits (or lack of) of using protective filters.

May 08, 2014 at 05:02 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is civility diminishing meaningful conversation … ?

CGrindahl wrote:

Now, on the other hand, you probably have some feelings about what is happening at the moment in the Middle East... That will get the juices flowing for a great many people who will be easy to find. Have fun.

... Read the book ... Live show should start soon ... ordered a Photochromic filter for my 300L ...

May 08, 2014 at 05:36 PM
jim allison
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is civility diminishing meaningful conversation … ?

I agree with Sarfield's analysis 100%. People today are more assertive and have a great deal of anger. I think that economic stress is also a contributing factor. It's colateral damage
from the "greed is good" philosophy.

May 13, 2014 at 04:41 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is civility diminishing meaningful conversation … ?

anthonysemone wrote:
If civility means I have to walk around in constant fear of offending someone, well, then Pizz on civility or, alternatively, meaningful discussion. Some of the most meaningful discussions I've been party to have been devoid of civility. Short story: if you can't take the heat, get *^%# outta the flames

If you can't discuss something civilly, then your ideas and arguments lack substance.

May 13, 2014 at 05:56 PM
vilimo
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Is civility diminishing meaningful conversation … ?

Monito wrote:
If you can't discuss something civilly, then your ideas and arguments lack substance.

Completely in agree with this. We can have a very heated argument or discussion but stay on topics and no personal attack. From what I have observed, in all cases, the discussion becomes nasty when the participants stray from the topic and start attacking each other instead.

May 13, 2014 at 07:14 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Is civility diminishing meaningful conversation … ?

Monito wrote:

Gee, Monito, your comment sounds like an "Ipse Dixit" assertion.

May 13, 2014 at 07:24 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Is civility diminishing meaningful conversation … ?

anthonysemone wrote:
Some of the most meaningful discussions I've been party to have been devoid of civility. Short story: if you can't take the heat, get *^%# outta the flames

Monito wrote:

anthonysemone wrote:
Gee, Monito, your comment sounds like an "Ipse Dixit" assertion.

No, I didn't invent the idea.

The fallacy of arguing ad hominem has been discredited by many people for centuries.

When discussions lose civility they degenerate into ad hominem attacks where the writer is attacked in some personal way rather than discussing the issue with reason and facts.

May 13, 2014 at 08:14 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Is civility diminishing meaningful conversation … ?

May 13, 2014 at 08:30 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.