Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · 1D Mark IV Upgrade Help ?

SWRToad
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 1D Mark IV Upgrade Help ?

Any suggestions on size, speed and brand of CF card for the Mark IV. I shoot in Raw format only, and have only been using Lexar 4gb 300x cards in my Mark III. Thinking about just starting at like 16mb 800x. Thoughts?

May 11, 2014 at 09:57 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 1D Mark IV Upgrade Help ?

size wise i like the 32GB cards.. 800x would be fine.. but you can get the 1000x cards at decent prices these days.. in the general gear-talk section Lars has a great post on the speeds of different cards

May 12, 2014 at 04:55 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 1D Mark IV Upgrade Help ?

jjoejr wrote:
Bought new, and still have a pristine IV with 27K clicks. Just can't seem to let it go. Just something about this machine that's magical I suppose.

I know exactly how you feel. My 1D IV was bought new as well and has a measly 3k on it and you can't tell it from new. It was my first 1-Series body and I can't seem to part with it.

May 12, 2014 at 06:44 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 1D Mark IV Upgrade Help ?

SWRToad wrote:
Any suggestions on size, speed and brand of CF card for the Mark IV. I shoot in Raw format only, and have only been using Lexar 4gb 300x cards in my Mark III. Thinking about just starting at like 16mb 800x. Thoughts?

Also be aware that the SD slot can't use the newer fast cards; the CF slot is much faster. This means that if you shoot Raw to both cards, the SD card will limit your bursts. I think Lars' thread covers this too.

Mark

May 12, 2014 at 07:26 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 1D Mark IV Upgrade Help ?

Confessions of a 1DIV lover (though I recently jilted it for a 1Dx

I purchased a decent used one as the next in the succession of used 1D cameras: 1DII, 1DIIn, 1DIII, 1DIV. The IV is hands down the best though I still remember the IIn fondly. While the "low mileage, good condition" is okay advice it's also good to consider the prior owner. I've had great luck - and better pricing - buying from pros. The camera might not have been pristine looking, but it received regular servicing and repair by the owners. Also they're proven performers.

There is no real limit on size of print. It's a function of subject and photographic skill. I have excellent deep crops printed at 16x20. Look great. As a photojournalist (largely sports) and professional photographer I took 10,000s of clicks in the 3.5 years I owned one. It never failed to provide exactly what I set it to do. (Of course there were plenty of times what I set it to do was lousy, but that's operator error I shot everything between Tv=50 and 25600. Got what I needed across the range. Never used the video. I have no clue how many clicks it had, but the man who bought it from me is still clicking away. I sent it into CPS for CLA yearly, tried to not abuse it, but the point was and is to get the picture.

There are no "bad" serial numbers ala the early 1DIIIs. It's throughput (don't have the numbers in front of me) does not support the latest, fastest cards though faster cards are better if you have a fast reader on download. I shot with Transcend 32GB 600x CF and Transcend 16GB SD cards putting RAW on the CF and fine JPEGs on the SD as a backup.

Yes they are big, black tanks but they feel wonderful in the hand. IMHO Canon's pro bodies (and Nikon's also) "feel" like a camera should - they are real tools. I also use a 5DIII regularly now since there is no high pixel count equivalent to the 1Dx. It's nice and a competent camera, but my hand and eye much prefer the 1Dxx body.

Serviced regularly and treated reasonably they will provide many years of service. (The shutter has a MTBF of 400,000 actuations - a bit of a meaningless number but way beyond any other Canon camera.) I believe the 1DIV to be one of the best values in Canon cameras currently available. The 1Dx has somewhat better AF - though it takes some getting use to - and for me significant improvement at high ISO levels. Since I spent a lot of times trying to shoot things moving around in the dark (read football players on horribly unlit fields), that clinched moving from the 1DIV.

Someone noted it has a bit of a "magical" quality to it. I'd agree with that assessment since there's no other way to express how an electro-mechanical object can hit a sweet spot that is impossible to quantify. The only other camera I've owned that had this quality was the 1DsII which was even sweeter.

Buy one. Learn to use it. Push your limits. The camera will not let you down. If it needs work Canon will continue to service it for quite some time. You won't be sorry.

Robert

SWRToad, the 1DIV performs significantly better in low light than the 1DIII and particularly the 1DIIn. I was sad to let go of my 1DIIn and frankly it would still be fine in good light. I can only afford one at a time so it got sold to move on. Even if you have to peddle your other cameras, I'd say go for it.

May 12, 2014 at 09:46 AM
SWRToad
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 1D Mark IV Upgrade Help ?

OntheRez wrote:
Robert

SWRToad, the 1DIV performs significantly better in low light than the 1DIII and particularly the 1DIIn. I was sad to let go of my 1DIIn and frankly it would still be fine in good light. I can only afford one at a time so it got sold to move on. Even if you have to peddle your other cameras, I'd say go for it.

Robert, I agree, the Mark IIn IMHO was, and still is a amazing camera, and especially now for the price. 500 buck, really

Anyway, thanks for the post, here is my my new MARK IV now ahead of my previous III & IIn. I will still be using all in my business, great money makers to say the least.....

Edited on May 12, 2014 at 03:30 PM · View previous versions

May 12, 2014 at 03:28 PM
SWRToad
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 1D Mark IV Upgrade Help ?

http://www.globalyouthathlete.com/markIV_III_IIn.jpg

May 12, 2014 at 03:29 PM
SWRToad
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 1D Mark IV Upgrade Help ?

kmunroe wrote:
size wise i like the 32GB cards.. 800x would be fine.. but you can get the 1000x cards at decent prices these days.. in the general gear-talk section Lars has a great post on the speeds of different cards

Thank you, yes got it. And thats what I was thinking. I have seen Lars review as well. Thanks for the post

May 12, 2014 at 03:31 PM
Prevelige
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 1D Mark IV Upgrade Help ?

OK, what is the metal disk on the side of the 1Diii? I have one, but never knew it's purpose

Bob

May 12, 2014 at 03:39 PM
dontbsme_2
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 1D Mark IV Upgrade Help ?

Is there any way to purchase the original red black camera straps

thanks

John

May 12, 2014 at 06:47 PM
SWRToad
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 1D Mark IV Upgrade Help ?

dontbsme_2 wrote:
Is there any way to purchase the original red black camera straps

thanks

John

John, yes, called a Canon Pro Neck Strap. BH Photo Video has them....

May 12, 2014 at 11:18 PM
SWRToad
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 1D Mark IV Upgrade Help ?

Prevelige wrote:
OK, what is the metal disk on the side of the 1Diii? I have one, but never knew it's purpose

Bob

I lost that stock plug, and that's a mount from a wireless transmitter I used to fill the hole temporally while shooting outdoors.

May 12, 2014 at 11:20 PM
dontbsme_2
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 1D Mark IV Upgrade Help ?

thanks, I must have overlooked them......

John

May 13, 2014 at 01:04 AM
aladyforty
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 1D Mark IV Upgrade Help ?

OntheRez wrote:
Confessions of a 1DIV lover (though I recently jilted it for a 1Dx

I purchased a decent used one as the next in the succession of used 1D cameras: 1DII, 1DIIn, 1DIII, 1DIV. The IV is hands down the best though I still remember the IIn fondly. While the "low mileage, good condition" is okay advice it's also good to consider the prior owner. I've had great luck - and better pricing - buying from pros. The camera might not have been pristine looking, but it received regular servicing and repair by the owners. Also they're proven performers.

There is
...Show more

MMMM this post has made me think hard. I am at present trying to save the cash to get either the next 7D or a 1DIV. I have a 1DIII and love it except for the 10 megapixel. I only have 400mm reach and don't plan on getting anything more really. I hope the extra 6 megapixel of a 1DIV would be a huge difference over the 1DIII 10 MP. I cant help wondering if I get a 1DIV before the 7DII turns up I may kick myself but a few people have said a pro camera will always outdo your average 1X6 cropper. The 1DIV is still selling at a highish price here. Loving my 5DIII but think 1DIV may be the way to go for wildlife and being able to get just a little closer would be great. But would the 5DIII cropped be equal to the 1DIV cropped due to more megapixels? So many things to consider

May 13, 2014 at 06:22 AM
danski0224
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 1D Mark IV Upgrade Help ?

aladyforty wrote:
MMMM this post has made me think hard. I am at present trying to save the cash to get either the next 7D or a 1DIV. I have a 1DIII and love it except for the 10 megapixel. I only have 400mm reach and don't plan on getting anything more really. I hope the extra 6 megapixel of a 1DIV would be a huge difference over the 1DIII 10 MP. I cant help wondering if I get a 1DIV before the 7DII turns up I may kick myself but a few people have said a pro camera will always outdo
...Show more

The 1DIV will beat a 7D in more less than perfect conditions any day of the week. The 7DII is still vaporware and it probably won't be cheap.

The 1DIV also has pro level AF features not found outside of the 1D line. The 5DIII may be close, but it is not the same. You also lose FPS and battery voltage to drive lens AF faster. The 1D also AF's at F8 without tricks.

I have read that the 1D series is smaller than a 5DII/III with a grip, and the 1D buttons are easier to reach.

There are at least several write-ups about cropping into a 5DIII image and having it equal (more or less) the native image from a 1DIV. It is probably more true as ISO goes up over say 3200, probably not so much in good light/low ISO. These write ups can be found with a little searching- been a while since I read one.

But, you won't have many of the "1D only" features in a 5DIII.

May 13, 2014 at 06:35 AM
blitzn
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 1D Mark IV Upgrade Help ?

This was my path too. I started with 7D, then acquired a 5Diii. The 1Dmkiv was always a question mark, so I just purchased one last week. As others have said, the pro features are not something to under estimate. I can tell immediately that the 7D and 5Diii will get get much less use. I'm very happy I made the decision to invest in the 1Div, but it's still early so ymmv.

tom

aladyforty wrote:
MMMM this post has made me think hard. I am at present trying to save the cash to get either the next 7D or a 1DIV. I have a 1DIII and love it except for the 10 megapixel. I only have 400mm reach and don't plan on getting anything more really. I hope the extra 6 megapixel of a 1DIV would be a huge difference over the 1DIII 10 MP. I cant help wondering if I get a 1DIV before the 7DII turns up I may kick myself but a few people have said a pro camera will always outdo
...Show more

May 13, 2014 at 08:06 AM
Methodical
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 1D Mark IV Upgrade Help ?

SWRToad wrote:

Do yourself a favor and go with the 1000x cards. You will need it to clear the buffer - believe me. That 300x card is going to slow you down with the 1D4. I use to use the 400x and only 8fps and would hit the buffer and had to wait for it to clear while photographing Eagles fishing. Missed some shots that day and when I got home I immediately hit up B&H for the 1000x cards. I was pissed.

May 13, 2014 at 10:08 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · 1D Mark IV Upgrade Help ?

SWRToad wrote:

I use the Lexar 1000x 32gb cards in the 1D IV without any issues.

May 13, 2014 at 10:22 AM
SWRToad
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · 1D Mark IV Upgrade Help ?

Methodical wrote:
Do yourself a favor and go with the 1000x cards. You will need it to clear the buffer - believe me. That 300x card is going to slow you down with the 1D4. I use to use the 400x and only 8fps and would hit the buffer and had to wait for it to clear while photographing Eagles fishing. Missed some shots that day and when I got home I immediately hit up B&H for the 1000x cards. I was pissed.

Thank you, exactly the feedback I was looking for........

May 13, 2014 at 03:06 PM
SWRToad
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · 1D Mark IV Upgrade Help ?

mogud wrote:
I use the Lexar 1000x 32gb cards in the 1D IV without any issues.

Yes, Thank you much!

May 13, 2014 at 03:07 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.