New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · New System

Chuya Moua

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New System

I need your advices to buy a new desktop for photo editing. Thank you.

May 07, 2014 at 12:15 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New System

You haven't given us a lot of info - are you looking for a Windows or Mac based system? Do you use Photoshop, Lightroom, or something else? The more details you give, the easier it will be to suggest something for you.

May 07, 2014 at 07:53 PM
Chuya Moua

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New System

I am sorry. I want a window system to run photoshop and lightroom.

May 07, 2014 at 11:55 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New System

I'd suggest building your own, or is that not of interest?

EBH

May 08, 2014 at 12:03 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New System

If you aren't building your own, then just buy the most expensive thing you can from the Dell or HP website. Recommended specs would be:

16GB RAM
128GB+ SSD (for operating system) plus 2Tb spinning drive (for photos)
No graphics card needed, use onboard intel
Core i5 CPU as fast as you can afford.

May 08, 2014 at 12:07 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New System

Chuya Moua wrote:
I am sorry. I want a window system to run photoshop and lightroom.

If you are not building your own, I recommend Puget Systems.
They have built me 2 computers, w/out monitors, exclusively for photo editing and they are great!! The tech support is very good also.
Give them a look. You pick what components you want. If they don'y have the component(s) you want, they will get them.

My monitors are NEC SpectraView II "vi2" calibrated, 27& 30 inch. Not duals. Got them from B&H at a fabulous price!

The prices are fair.
Dan

http://www.pugetsystems.com/

Edited on May 08, 2014 at 08:54 AM · View previous versions

May 08, 2014 at 07:43 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New System

I agree with Dan - get a local geek shop to build one for you.

I'm on my third gen desktop from Mysterybyte, which is a local shop that specializes in building gaming systems. I picked the graphics card myself (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560, in 2012), and bought two Dell U2711 monitors online.

May 08, 2014 at 08:49 AM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New System

I like the idea of supporting a local builder but, from what I've researched in my area, it would've cost me about 50% more to get the same system that I built in about 4 hours. I am somewhat handy but would not call myself an electronics expert by any means. They make every component modular and so easy to assemble that just about anyone could build one nowadays. There are many sites to help you in your build and this one is excellent:

http://www.tomshardware.com/

If you scroll down about 1/2 way on their home page, you'll see the Latest Articles section and you can click on Build Your Own and you'll see the latest builds by price/performance. The forums there will also help you every step of the way.

The satisfaction of firing up your own build for the first time is great. I definitely recommend this route.

May 12, 2014 at 02:07 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New System

^^ Building your own is definitely a long way from rocket science. Indeed, in most respects it is easier than Lego.

The hard part is usually software installation, finding drivers for everything. If you are especially lucky (and i seem to be usually), the networking in your shiny new box doesn't work from the Win7/8 install disk and you need a second computer to get the drivers to get it connected to get all the other drivers...

May 12, 2014 at 02:14 PM
dmi211

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New System

The act of actually building a pc is very easy. Researching the parts you want is the more difficult part imo

May 14, 2014 at 01:14 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.