Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Machu Pichu advice needed

Langran
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Machu Pichu advice needed

Ok I've just booked my flights to Peru with one of the main targets being Machu Pichu. I know it has been shot from every angle possible but it's a bucket list item and I'm sure will be spectacular.

Information is wildly different across the internet so I wanted to ask if anyone has first hand experience?
They say opening times are 6am to 5pm but potentially you can go at night yet leave that very vague? Is it lit up at night in garish sodium lighting or left dark? Can you go at night? I want to make sure I catch sunrise and sunset so those opening times are cutting it very fine. Any recommendations in general?

I'm healthy enough to do plenty of trekking but with youth also comes a budget issue so I'll be keeping costs down if possible.

May 07, 2014 at 11:58 AM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Machu Pichu advice needed

I was there years back. Cannot remember the specific sunset/sunrise info.
General recommendations -
I do know you need to get there very early and head straight to the inner entrance gate if you want to ensure access to hike up Huayna Picchu. It varies based on the crowds that day.
It can be misty/rainy early am then clouds lift and very sunny. Bring your wet weather stuff.
Instead of staying in Cusco when you first arrive, head to the Sacred Valley. For us low landers it is significantly lower in elevation and will ease your headache.
Don't eat the street meat.
Bring antibiotics for diarrhea, anti-nausea meds, and re-hydration packets (to dissolve in water - someone is going to need them. They have some bad gastro bugs down there.
It is not too expensive to haggle a taxi for a few hours, but there are public shuttle buses that go all over the place that are cheaper.
Have fun!

David

May 07, 2014 at 02:41 PM
Langran
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Machu Pichu advice needed

Thanks for the advice, all good stuff to keep in mind

May 08, 2014 at 04:03 PM
willpix

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Machu Pichu advice needed

Just saw your message. You don't include your itinerary info, so I assume this data will reach you too late. But in case this can be helpful to someone else in future...

I was there in May-June of 2009, so bear that in mind WRT to timeliness of details.
1) Never heard of any way to visit at night--i.e., after about 5 or 6 p.m. daily. Perhaps there are exceptions for special days, like special pageants or anniversaries or equinoxes, but your visit would have to coincide with these infrequent events. At any rate, I have no hard info.
2) If you're quite intrepid, there's an arduous foot trailleading from the town of Aguascalientes to the MP complex, which means you're not at the mercy of the taxis or scheduled shuttle buses that convey visitors up the switchback road to the ruins. (I met a French guy who did both the ascent and descent on the foot trail, PLUS the HP climb, during his one-day visit. He saw a guy take a bad fall on the HP climb.) Otherwise, the earliest buses leave from Aguascalientes (AC) around 4:30 or 5 am daily. You should buy your MP admission ticket in AC the evening before your visit; bus ticket you buy shortly before boarding at the bus stop.
3) If recollection serves, I had to apply at a hut inside the park by around mid-morning for a free permit to scale Huayna Picchu; one didn't have to arrive at MP at the crack of dawn in order to do HP, but the earliest possible arrival time at the gate is advisable if you want to have time to climb HP + tour and photograph/film the entire complex in one day. Myself, I would seriously consider paying the additional hotel bill and entry fees and giving the site two consecutive days if you're really, really keen. HP climb is well worth the effort--the MP complex spread out far below will look incredibly small when viewed through the clouds surrounding the summit of HP.
4. They're serious about not allowing tripods or monopods past the gate. (You can recover such "confiscated" items upon your departure in the late afternoon.)
5. A magical, mysterious place. I long to return...

Jul 07, 2014 at 08:51 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password