New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Suggestions needed for Kanab/Page area / lens suggestions

gordorad
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Suggestions needed for Kanab/Page area / lens suggestions

I am going to be staying in Kanab for one week in June.(with two days prior staying in Moab).. With so many great areas to shoot, (and several I"m not aware of)....I'm looking for a bit of guidance/suggestions. Thus far, this is where I plan on shooting.

1) Zion NP
2) Bryce Canyon
3) Antelope Canyon (lower)
4) Coyote Buttes North (the Wave)..and yes, I have a pass!
5) Wirepass Trail (Buckskin Gulch access)
6) Perhaps the White Bluffs area
7) North Rim GC

What other "must see" areas am I missing? I will be there for a full moon. Any suggestion for sunset shots in and around Kanab will be helpful as well.

As to a lens suggestion, specifically for the slot canyons...Canon 24 TS (shift and stitch) vs. an ultrawide, such as 14mm.

Thanks in advance!

Edited on May 07, 2014 at 09:47 AM · View previous versions

May 07, 2014 at 06:56 AM
Grahamc
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Suggestions needed for Kanab/Page area / lens suggestions

Wahweap Hoodoos is well worth the 10 mile (round trip) hike.

May 07, 2014 at 08:15 AM
gordorad
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Suggestions needed for Kanab/Page area / lens suggestions

Thank you. I am new to the board, and noticed this is listed as a "presentation" forum. Does a forum exist for discussion, etc? Should my question be posted in another board?

May 07, 2014 at 08:18 AM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Suggestions needed for Kanab/Page area / lens suggestions

I am in Kanab at the moment, and have spent weeks here in past visits. I have had trouble getting good sunset shots here in summer, as the sun is so far north it is hidden somewhat by all the buttes in that direction. It's easy to go north, south and east to find a spot you like, likely not close to town. As for local attractions, Cottonwood Cove (Coyote Buttes South, needs a permit, walk-ins usually available) and White Pocket (no permit needed) are special, but 4WD and high clearance are necessary to get to them. Cottonwood Canyon Road and Skutumpah Rd offer too many ops to list, 2WD will do. Whitehouse Campground has great formations, and The Nautilus is close by. Rim Rock Hoodoos, Wahweap Hoodoos, Alstrom Point, Stud Horse Point, etc, etc You're gonna need a bigger trip.

Edited on May 07, 2014 at 02:21 PM · View previous versions

May 07, 2014 at 08:20 AM
Johnontheroad
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Suggestions needed for Kanab/Page area / lens suggestions

I'm currently in Zion, hoping the weather improves a bit... but if you're into hiking Angel's Landing has some great views. And I had some great shots in Upper Antelope Canyon. But don't change lenses because of the dust and sand. And listen to the guides, moving a few feet makes a big difference in your photo results.

May 07, 2014 at 08:21 AM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Suggestions needed for Kanab/Page area / lens suggestions

Lower Antelope canyon was great, but make sure to show up an hour before they open (be aware of the native reservation time zone changes in the area). They say it is less popular, so I can’t imagine how busy the upper canyon must be. We arrived 90 minutes before they opened the lower canyon, were first in line, got our photographer's passes, and had a solid 45 minutes in the canyon completely alone, which was worth showing up early for. After the groups started coming through, it was an absolute mosh pit since they were not 20 minutes apart as advertised. More like 5 minutes. Our remaining time was difficult with so many people around, and it was hard for us to even get passed the groups so we could get out on time.

Zion is nice, and my favorite part about it BY FAR was the hike deep into the Narrows. I suggest shooting sunrise somewhere else to your liking, and then try to start the narrows hike no later then 9am to get the best light. I went at least 90 minutes deep into them, and it was well worth it. There are even little sand paradises inside that you can relax and eat lunch on. A lot of people did the hike with normal shoes, but they looked uncomfortable compared to me and my dorky waders

For sunset in Zion, if you are willing to hike out, (or perhaps get lucky catching a late shuttle) shoot the Court of the Patriarchs. The sun alignment is perfect this time of year, and drops directly in the valley to the left of the 3 main peaks.

Good luck.

May 07, 2014 at 08:45 AM
gordorad
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Suggestions needed for Kanab/Page area / lens suggestions

Justin, on the Narrows hike, you wore waders the entire time? Chest waders?? How deep can one expect the water? I've ready dry bags are necessary. Is that true??

May 07, 2014 at 09:22 AM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Suggestions needed for Kanab/Page area / lens suggestions

Yes, I put on chest waders once getting to the river entrance. I shoot low to the water surface a lot of the time, so I'm usually kneeling down and have my entire bottom half in water so they helped a lot to stay comfortable. Im pretty sure the river height depends on the time of year and rain conditions in the area. When I went less then 2 weeks ago, the deepest section I needed to cross was maybe 3 feet. It gets deeper in small areas, but there is always an easy path to follow. I brought my normal camera bag. No dry bags needed if you dont fall

May 07, 2014 at 09:32 AM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Suggestions needed for Kanab/Page area / lens suggestions

There are several great photo sites in the Page/Kanab area that require a 4X4 and some experience to get to. Would you consider a local guide to take you there? Several years ago a group of us hired the Page local Jackson Bridges.
http://www.jacksonbridges.com/

May 21, 2014 at 02:11 PM
StephenS_CP
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Suggestions needed for Kanab/Page area / lens suggestions

I think an overlooked opportunity is Lee's Ferry. Besides being scenic to get to and being at river level at the entrance to Marble Canyon, it is the jump off point for Grand Canyon river rafting.

May 30, 2014 at 05:22 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.