New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Canon 1DMk4 Error Code 20???? Help is appreciated

woodman57

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 1DMk4 Error Code 20???? Help is appreciated

My Canon 1DMK4 with 600mm f4 IS Version 1 Lens mounted is intermittently producing the error code 20 on the rear LCD. It says to remove and reinstall the battery, which I have done, including recalibrating and over-night recharging. The battery condition/performance is 100% according to the read out on the cameras rear menu, yellow file tab. I think the shutter is locking up (staying open) when this dilemma occurs, because when I switch the power off, a sound is made, and the shutter returns. The camera age is about 4 years and the lens is about the same. I have read a few other reports of the same issue on the web with lots of different results. None pleasant, let alone rectifying the situation. I have called Canon Service and they have told me it's a communication problem between the camera and lens. (??) and to send it to them. So I have tried another lens and the same thing happens again. I am leery of sending to Canon for repair and costs. Hmmmmmmm.... Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Maybe just breakdown and get a 1DX. To complicate matters I am scheduled to depart to Alaska for an extended wildlife/bird photo trip the end May. Thanks for the help .

May 06, 2014 at 10:23 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 1DMk4 Error Code 20???? Help is appreciated

You are leery of sending it to Canon for repair, but willing to spend thousands more by buying a 1DX Makes no sense to me.

Since it happens with both lenses, I would try cleaning the lens-mount contacts with Q-tips and alcohol.

If that does not work, I would send it to Canon right away with a note explaining the fault occurs with more than one lens.

May 06, 2014 at 11:55 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 1DMk4 Error Code 20???? Help is appreciated

You could also buy one of the two 1D4's on the B&S forum, $2400 or$3300, for backup and sell one after your trip.

May 07, 2014 at 12:02 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 1DMk4 Error Code 20???? Help is appreciated

Try cleaning it yourself as Imagemaster suggested and if that doesn't help send it in ASAP so Canon can fix it. With an end of May deadline you want some time to verify all is good again when it is shipped back.

One thing to consider in getting a 1DX is the lower pixel density. The 1D4 has an advantage over the 1DX in good light so if you find yourself in FL limited situations you may lose some detail on things like birds. In lower light the superior ISO of the 1DX wins out.

May 07, 2014 at 07:41 AM
moiman

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 1DMk4 Error Code 20???? Help is appreciated

I had that same problem,it got worse after time. I also,used it with the 600 IS lens.Had to reinsert battery to get it working. Sent it in to CPS and the mirror assembly was replaced. $400 + repair cost with gold membership. The camera focusing hasn't been right since then. Sent it in once and they said it needed adjustment and was corrected. Focusing still not right. Thought it must be me but too many oof shots shooting rodeo. Switched to my 1D3 and that's working fine. I let it go and now it's past the repair warranty.Probably have to pay to get it done right now. Btw,does the view finder get dark after firing off a shot,then when you take out reinsert the battery the sound of something releasing?

May 08, 2014 at 12:47 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 1DMk4 Error Code 20???? Help is appreciated

Err 20: Mechanical malfunction
Within the mirror, shutter or aperture mechanism (most likely), some sort of disturbance, error or lock-up has been detected. This error code doesn’t specify where the exact problem is, but points to the cause being mechanical rather than an electronic gremlin.

May 08, 2014 at 02:18 PM
moiman

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 1DMk4 Error Code 20???? Help is appreciated

Woodman57,I think CPS said the mirror was broken. They changed the mirror box assembly I believe. Good move to have it fixed cause it might malfunction just when you 're about to capture something important. Your camera settings will change to default settings when they work on it so you might want to write it down before you send it in. And make sure the af servo mode is functioning properly when you receive it from service. Good luck.

May 08, 2014 at 09:10 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.