FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Cypress Sunrise :Edit

wswartzwel
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cypress Sunrise :Edit

I took this image several months ago in a local wildlife management area, but never did anything with it. Fred Miranda posted today that "On One Software" was giving a free download of Perfect Effects. I thought I would give it a try. I am not a big fan of extreme HDR, so I was careful to keep my colors the same as they were the morning I shot the image. I found the software easy to use, and was able to fix some things that needed work. Comments appreciated.

http://www.bswartz.net/nikon/D610/cypresssunrise.jpg

Edited Reprocessed to repair pink sky, and leveled.

http://www.bswartz.net/nikon/D610/cypresssunrisedone.jpg

Edited on May 08, 2014 at 08:35 PM · View previous versions

May 06, 2014 at 09:05 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cypress Sunrise :Edit

Nice composition, light and processing. The herons are a great addition.
Dave

May 06, 2014 at 09:31 PM
PeaktoPeek
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cypress Sunrise :Edit

This is actually a really nice scene -- great color, interesting trees and the herons going about their business. I might be tempted to shave just a touch off the bottom, just because its pretty featureless. Nice work-
Paul

May 07, 2014 at 01:12 AM
lionking
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cypress Sunrise :Edit

This is truly gorgeous!

So subtle, but yet rich!
Well done!

Andrey

May 07, 2014 at 08:30 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cypress Sunrise :Edit

Nice relaxing morning image!

May 07, 2014 at 08:52 AM
wswartzwel
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cypress Sunrise :Edit

Thanks so much everyone, for the comments. I see such wonderful images on this site, and I am always hesitant to post mine, but I want to improve. Getting feedback really helps.

dbehrens wrote:
Nice composition, light and processing. The herons are a great addition.
Dave

Dave, With the morning mist that was coming off the lake, I never noticed the herons until I opened the image up for processing. Pleasant surprise.

May 07, 2014 at 11:27 AM
helenica
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cypress Sunrise :Edit

Lovely shot!

May 07, 2014 at 12:50 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cypress Sunrise :Edit

Bill, its a very nice scene with soft light and wonderful pastel colors. I like that cypress trees and herons look almost like silhouettes but still have details in them.
Now, about problems - image seems to be perfectly level, but for some reason makes impression of having a slope to the right, perhaps because there is a darker area. Maybe lightening the bottom of the tree group on the right will help.
Also, pink color in clouds seems out of gamut, but this may be a problem with a dynamic range of my monitor.

Sasha.

May 07, 2014 at 03:58 PM
wswartzwel
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cypress Sunrise :Edit

Thanks Sasha I appreciate your time, and insight. The shore line is diagonal, and it felt that way to me too, I will experiment with painting some exposure in the area you mention, before I have this printed . Regarding the color, It has been a few weeks since I calibrated my monitor… I will check it.

May 07, 2014 at 05:04 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Cypress Sunrise :Edit

Hey Bill,

What a cool scene you have captured here. I do agree with Sasha that you have blown out the pinks in a stripe that stretches from the left side then dipping down along the horizon. But I don't agree with lightening the bottom of any tree's, all that will do is end up causing the scene to look like you used an ND grad but didn't use it right.

You shouldn't have to be calibrating your monitor every couple of weeks. Make sure as you make adjustments that you check for blown out areas as you make them. In most cases in Photoshop, all you have to do is hold down the ALT key as you adjust a slider. You will see the preview view go to black and as colors or light are starting to blow, there will be areas of white showing up on the preview that show you were you are blowing out. So regardless of the calibration of the monitor, checking for blown areas that way will always work.

Jim

May 08, 2014 at 10:43 AM
wswartzwel
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Cypress Sunrise :Edit

Jim, I use that trick with my blacks and whites. Didn't know I could use it for colors as well. I will play with it some more.

I edited the image. leveled , repaired the sky and cropped a bit off the bottom.

Thanks

May 08, 2014 at 07:53 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Cypress Sunrise :Edit

Hey Bill,

I would say your edit is quite the success! The original was close, but with the edit, at least for me, you touched up the area's that needed to be addressed, and you now have an image that should look rather beautiful printed and on a wall or in a gallery!

Jim

May 08, 2014 at 08:40 PM
PeaktoPeek
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Cypress Sunrise :Edit

Yup - that makes it even nicer!
Paul

May 08, 2014 at 08:42 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Cypress Sunrise :Edit

I like the edit. Maybe I would make it a bit lighter, and shift orange a bit towards magenta (as I like your original color scheme) but its just a question of personal preference. Overall, it is very nice.

Sasha.

May 08, 2014 at 08:45 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Cypress Sunrise :Edit

nicely done, primeval, mysterious and peaceful

May 09, 2014 at 01:14 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Cypress Sunrise :Edit

alatoo60 wrote:
I like the edit. Maybe I would make it a bit lighter, and shift orange a bit towards magenta (as I like your original color scheme) but its just a question of personal preference. Overall, it is very nice.

Sasha.

it's possible his original colors might not fit in sRGB at this saturation and brightness, then again it might just be the twisted profile that altered the colors and he dimmed them and he might be able to twist them back manually

May 09, 2014 at 01:16 AM
Crowe Light Photography

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Cypress Sunrise :Edit

Cool!

May 09, 2014 at 05:27 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.