New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Canon 700d or 7d

Evangelos Makris
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 700d or 7d

Hello,

recently i bought my first DSLR (Canon 700d) for getting into photography and i'm very pleased with it.
I particularly like driving away from town and doing landscape shots, and also landscape astrophotography (my other hobby is amateur astronomy).

These days I got a nice offer for a Canon 7d and it has got me into thinking.
Should i sell the 700d and get the 7d?

I would like to stay with cropped sensors, and the lenses i have are good for both bodies.
So far i really enjoy the 700d's vari-angle touch screen and its weight.
The 7d however, is weather sealed but weights more (no SD cards also).

What would i gain in image quality and noise performance?

Kind regards,
Evangelos

May 06, 2014 at 05:04 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 700d or 7d

It Likley comes down to what your shooting .

If it moves then the 7D would be the choice . If you spend lots of time at odd angles or on a tripod (where the movable screen helps) then keep the 700D

The 7D is better built has a better viewfinder (my biggest dislike on the rebel bodies is the VF ) has a great fps with large buffer .

The 700D is smaller and lighter.
SD v CF cards : while cf is better (in most instances) I'm not sure id base my camera choice on it

IQ will be pretty much the same . , in fact the 700D having a later version of that age old () 18mp sensor vs the 7D's first version the 700 could even have better IQ/noise . . To get any significant IQ/noise gain you really need to go full frame - I went from a 7D (which I considered very good for noise & IQ ) to a 5D3 and the change was huge .

May 06, 2014 at 05:10 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 700d or 7d

Evangelos Makris wrote:
What would i gain in image quality and noise performance?

Nuttin' zip nada.

However you will proudly hump a battle worthy hunk 'o magnesium 'round town, shedding rain drops, and gunsling buku frames per second. Everything looks like eye candy throughout that 100% viewfinder and all those buttons 'n wheels will tweak without fingering a menu. You'll hold it more steady due to the extra heft and the grid on demand will keep your horizons honest.

May 06, 2014 at 05:19 PM
blitzn
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 700d or 7d

Gochugogi wrote:
buku frames

To our dearest eastern Canadian friends; please forgive Gochugogi. He's from far away and French is not his strong suit.

May 06, 2014 at 06:14 PM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 700d or 7d

As others have mentioned, you will gain nothing in IQ. I'm pretty sure I've read that most of the subsequent crop factor cameras actually have slightly better IQ than the 7D. It was the 1st gen of the sensor, after all, but I think it also had something to do with the AA filter. It may not even be noticeable, but you may actually be taking a very slight step down in IQ by going with the 7D.

I think others have nailed it: if you're shooting things that move, you want the 7D. If you're shooting landscapes/stars, the 700D might be preferable.

Keep in mind, the 700D has better live view AF, improved video features, and the touchscreen.

The 7D has better old-school AF, better ergonomics for handheld shooting, and a tougher body.

May 06, 2014 at 06:43 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 700d or 7d

The 7D has infinitely better image quality if it allows you to get a shot that the 700D couldn't get

May 06, 2014 at 07:08 PM
Evangelos Makris
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 700d or 7d

So i will stay with the 700d for my purpose (landscapes/stars).

Thanks for clearing things up!

May 07, 2014 at 02:53 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 700d or 7d

Evangelos Makris wrote:
So i will stay with the 700d for my purpose (landscapes/stars).

Thanks for clearing things up!

yeah , for those purposes you'll be much better served hanging on to what you have and going Full Frame some time in the future (probably with a 6D)

out of interest what are the lenses you have that are keeping you in crop ?

May 07, 2014 at 05:54 AM
Evangelos Makris
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 700d or 7d

Hi Ian,

The reason i would like to stay in crop is that i am a beginner in photography,
and right now i cannot justify the amount of $$ for an upgrade to full frame (both for body and nice lenses that will take advantage of the FF)

Maybe when the price of a 6d gets even lower.

My lenses are:
Canon 10-22mm (landscapes/nightscapes)
Canon 18-135 STM (family/trips)
Canon 50mm 1.8 II (too inexpensive )

May 07, 2014 at 06:22 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 700d or 7d

Yeah the glass upgrade would be a hit to the pocket .

May 07, 2014 at 07:11 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.