FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Do you use a filter on your 100 400L

skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Do you use a filter on your 100 400L

thedutt wrote:
Kathy, I chose option 3, but basically dont use filters unless they serve a specific purpose (ND, CLP) etc. Some of it is due to IQ concerns, most of it is to keep things simple.

How does using a protective filter make things more complex though? Screw it on and forget about it. Plus you don't have to worry about where the front element gets swung around as much.

Unless you mean worrying about which times it might be adding too much extra flare or not? I guess I could see that.

May 06, 2014 at 09:50 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Do you use a filter on your 100 400L

I don't use any other filters so it's pretty straightforward for me. I buy a B+W UV with the lens and keep it on all the time. I've had two incidents where it's saved my 70-200. Both times shooting equestrian with dirt/pebbles hitting and cracking the filter.

I don't really expect a filter to save the lens on a major impact but for those low to mid level impacts it's nice to have as it's a lot less hassle to buy a new filter then to pack up a lens and ship it to Canon for repair even with CPS.

May 07, 2014 at 12:44 PM
Bieg
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Do you use a filter on your 100 400L

I shoot for The American Airpower Museum and we fly old War Birds as well as hosting Jets (Blue Angels this year) for the Jones Beach Air Show (Memorial Day Weekend). Being out on the ramp when these things crank up is a VERY gritty environment! The 100-400 L is my go-to Air Show lens but any lens I buy gets the very best Hoya filter from day 1. In my studio I do not use them but in the real (dirty) world I never go without them.

May 07, 2014 at 01:17 PM
aladyforty
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Do you use a filter on your 100 400L

I used to use expensive filters on all my lenses, the 100-400 used to throw terrible background up when I used it so dropped it, then I realised that lens was the one that went through the most so I took the filters off all of them. I use hoods always. I would now only use a filter if I was going onto a wind blown beach or stuck in a major storm

May 09, 2014 at 09:10 PM
dwweiche
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Do you use a filter on your 100 400L

I voted no because I have seen, on rare occasions, very nervous and busy background bokeh when I had my multi-coated Hoya filter in place.

I've never seen the busy bokeh when I've used these same filters on my previously owned 17-55 f/2.8.

At this point I have no filters in place and always use the hood.

May 09, 2014 at 10:40 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Do you use a filter on your 100 400L

The only filters I ever put on the 100-400 are polarizing and ND.

May 09, 2014 at 10:44 PM
keithreeder
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Do you use a filter on your 100 400L

No I believe it affects the IQ so I don't use one

I don't "believe" it affects IQ, I know it does.

May 10, 2014 at 02:26 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Do you use a filter on your 100 400L

dwweiche wrote:
I voted no because I have seen, on rare occasions, very nervous and busy background bokeh when I had my multi-coated Hoya filter in place.

Thanks for this bit. I'll experiment with this and may change my tune.

May 10, 2014 at 09:41 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Do you use a filter on your 100 400L

Jeff Nolten wrote:
Thanks for this bit. I'll experiment with this and may change my tune.

In my experience, "nervous background" is a characteristic of the lens that crops up in some situations even without filters. I think it can occur with just the right amount of OOF background at certain focal lengths.

I have heard (yes, not first hand info) that some photographers have traced focusing issues with this lens to the use of UV filters.

Fortunately, the hood is so deep on this lens that you hardly need to think about using a filter to protect the front element, if that is your goal.

Dan

May 10, 2014 at 10:01 AM
Bieg
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Do you use a filter on your 100 400L

The hood does not protect it from flying sand, or salt spray.

May 10, 2014 at 10:09 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Do you use a filter on your 100 400L

Bieg wrote:

It does so, unless you are pointing the lens nearly directly into flying sand or salt spray, which you shouldn't be doing anyway.

Of course, you can always use an underwater housing above water.

May 10, 2014 at 10:17 AM
Bieg
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Do you use a filter on your 100 400L

You pay your money you take your pick.

May 10, 2014 at 10:18 AM
Bieg
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Do you use a filter on your 100 400L

Imagemaster wrote:
It does so, unless you are pointing the lens nearly directly into flying sand or salt spray, which you shouldn't be doing anyway.

Of course, you can always use an underwater housing above water.

You do if you need the shot. In the real world sometimes the wind blows in your face.

May 10, 2014 at 10:19 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Do you use a filter on your 100 400L

Bieg wrote:

As a person who frequently shoots seascapes and in the desert, I can't say that this is a real problem. Salt spray has to be cleaned off, whether on the lens or the filter. Flying sand... well, I suppose that if you actually stand out in the dust storm (and I've been in a few) for long periods of time to shoot, then that would be a fine time to add a filter to your lens for that shot.

Dan

"Dust Storm, Death Valley"
http://gdanmitchell.com/gallery/d/5933-3/DustStormBW20090403.jpg

"Dunes and Sand Storm"
http://gdanmitchell.com/gallery/d/7329-3/MesquiteDunesSandStormClouds20130404.jpg

May 10, 2014 at 11:22 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Do you use a filter on your 100 400L

jcolwell wrote:
I couldn't vote, because it didn;t have,

"4. normally don't use UV/clear filters on any lenses, unless in harsh environment"

Yeah, that's the one.

EBH

May 10, 2014 at 11:27 AM
Bieg
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Do you use a filter on your 100 400L

Different Horses for different courses.

May 10, 2014 at 12:19 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Do you use a filter on your 100 400L

gdanmitchell wrote:
In my experience, "nervous background" is a characteristic of the lens that crops up in some situations even without filters. I think it can occur with just the right amount of OOF background at certain focal lengths.
Dan

I've seen it a few times with mine, most notably capturing birds in or in front of branchy desert bushes at 400 mm. Some thin branches seem to be double exposed at just the right distance OOF. Can't say it it was the filter, but if I see it again I'll take another shot without filter (and perhaps without bird ) to see.

May 10, 2014 at 12:40 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Do you use a filter on your 100 400L

Jeff Nolten wrote:
I've seen it a few times with mine, most notably capturing birds in or in front of branchy desert bushes at 400 mm. Some thin branches seem to be double exposed at just the right distance OOF. Can't say it it was the filter, but if I see it again I'll take another shot without filter (and perhaps without bird ) to see.

That description corresponds to what I've seen. The first time I encountered it was in a similar situation, with slightly out of focus branches behind a closer subject.

I use the lens a lot, and I don't see this much at all, but it does seem to happen sometimes.

Dan

May 10, 2014 at 06:26 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Do you use a filter on your 100 400L

Yes, doesn't happen too often and when it does, if the bird is in focus I'm happy. I don't spend too much time thinking "if only I had a 500 f4 the bokeh would have been so much better".

May 10, 2014 at 07:25 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.