New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · High-altitude pano and stars

FarmerJohn
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · High-altitude pano and stars

Two shots from this past weekend. Skied/snowshoed into one of the 10th Mountain Division huts with some friends in Colorado.

#1 Pano - I really like the sky in this one. Did the WB for the sky, then reduce the blue saturation to make the snow look more realistic. Was hoping the mountains would be lit up with that soft pink/purple light but no luck. Is this shot interesting enough without that light?

#2 - Cloudy Cassiopeia - One several-minute exposure for the stars on a sky tracker, blended with a single exposure for the ground. Did some burning to darken the light pollution. Any ideas what the red color on the horizon is?

May 06, 2014 at 12:37 PM
Mister Bean
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · High-altitude pano and stars

1 - it's a decent documentary sort of shot. As a remembrance of the trip. But maybe not something that would be worth printing and framing without having that background. I think you might be able to pull a little more out of it though. Here's one interpretation. I expect some blue snow at that time of day, so I put some blue back in it.

http://www.myrealnameismatt.com/Misc/Miranda/mountain-panorama.jpg

2 - this is the stronger of the two shots, but I'm kind of a sucker for stars, especially in the mountains. It's a little hazy looking though. If you darken the sky, it seems to help with that. I also shifted the colors to cool it off a little. No idea what the red is. Maybe related to the light pollution in some way?

http://www.myrealnameismatt.com/Misc/Miranda/mountain-stars.jpg

May 09, 2014 at 12:06 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · High-altitude pano and stars

Imo, the red is a transition through the color wheel as the atmosphere provides for a spherical (3D) prism.

If you'll notice sometime that the sun may set in the west and we get a vertical gradient as we progress overhead at the changing angle of refraction, but if you revolve toward the north/south @ the horizon has much less change as the angle of refraction isn't that much diff.

Here's a supersat to reveal the transitions a bit more and you can see that most of the spectral response is present through ROYGBIV ... or YGBI in one (vertical) direction & YORV in the other (horizontal), if you prefer.

Personally, I dig when you capture the spectral response of the atmospheric spherical prism. Below is one to illustrate the vertical direction, for example ... realizing that the source light color (i.e. the sun) is the same, it is only the prismatic refraction angles that separate/change the color of the light that we see. Put them all together in proper ratio and we get "white" light. Separate / change combination ratio's and we get diff color temps.

May 09, 2014 at 08:19 AM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · High-altitude pano and stars

Mister Bean - thanks for the edits, especially on #2. It was very hazy and cloudy. I think the darker sky does look better.

Kent - yeah, this was looking north, so sun in the west makes sense. Thanks!

- John

May 09, 2014 at 09:46 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · High-altitude pano and stars

I would crop the first at the edge of the pink cloud on the right. I like the added blue to the snow in Mr Beans version.

The astro shot is cool, I have attempted many without a tracker but my camera produced too much noise. I have never figured out what to do for WB on night shots.

I think I need to go take a physics class.

May 09, 2014 at 10:20 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · High-altitude pano and stars

Took a stab at some tweaks (gotta run, so might be kinda quick/rough) ... but the gist is that you can dial it in how you desire to present it.

The space outside our atmosphere will be black as it is not reflecting any light back to us. What we see of the blue sky/space is the sunlight (at varying angle of refraction for color / vector quantity of return for amount) refracting through our atmosphere @ AR (with R being refraction, rather than reflection) and similar to how light refracts through a prism to separate color, so does our atmosphere. This is predicated upon such angles as the earth rotates to yield the 360 degree gamut @ 0 - 180 bi-directionally.

While the earth can block the sunlight at a given angle to the sun, the atmosphere (far above), can still refract the light. The color of the light refracting through our atmosphere is different from the non-return (i.e. black) of space. If we want to illustrate the atmospheric color, it can be diff from true space color @ black (non-return of sunlight). The same can then apply to other light source(s) at the light passing through (refracting) or reflecting to yield varying color.

It really depends on whether you are wanting to show space color or atmospheric effect color ... either can be appropriate. Kinda like taking a picture "OF" a stained glass window, or taking a picture "THROUGH" a stained glass window as to whether the color is the subject or an alteration of the source illumination to be corrected for (with the atmosphere in perpetual cyclical/rotational variance).

The clouds are inside our atmospheric "window", and the space is outside ... if that makes any sense.

May 09, 2014 at 10:35 AM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · High-altitude pano and stars

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I do like the darker version. And Kent, great color explanation as usual. It makes perfect sense that space would black, and the atmosphere would impart color.

Here's my new version. Some selective adjustments for the clouds too.

May 10, 2014 at 11:01 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · High-altitude pano and stars

Light is also scattered by the atmosphere, especially blue light. The scattering of blue is why the sky looks blue in daylight from the blue scattered sunlight.

May 10, 2014 at 03:54 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.