FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Changes coming to Columbia Hills State Park

briancphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Changes coming to Columbia Hills State Park

I know some of you are visitors to this park in the east of the gorge. It used to be sort of off the radar with not much signage or distinct paths etc. It was a great place to explore and you could often be all alone even in peak wildflower season and find little hidden gems. The area used to be ranched heavily and it has been really interesting to see the plants already changing dramatically now that the majority of grazing is done. There used to fence lines where there would be tons of flowers on one side and none on the other. Now you can see new flowers spreading across the old fence lines.

So the state is almost done with two large paved parking lots that will connect the park down to HWY 14 all the way up to the top of the hills. Trails are being improved and signs are coming. I have mixed feeling because it is a great area and part of me wants tons of people to see it and part of me will miss the solitude. I feel like the number of visitors is just going to explode..

The worst thing about shooting there is the wind. It seems almost with out end. This was a great sunset and it was very difficult to stop the motion so I opted to go with the blur and crank the colors.

http://bcphotography.zenfolio.com/img/s12/v186/p559329137-5.jpg

Mt Hood visible in the distance. This is one of those shots that was a lot of work due to the wind. Focus stack and exposure blend

http://bcphotography.zenfolio.com/img/s5/v129/p605798349-5.jpg

Sorry this is a re post from the nikon forum. I took some of the suggestions and re processed it again and thought I would see what people thought now

http://bcphotography.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v163/p765530145-5.jpg

Lastly Just some nice flowers. Thanks for looking and C and C always welcome. Cheer Brian

http://bcphotography.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v165/p772223880-5.jpg

May 06, 2014 at 11:57 AM
rparchen
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Changes coming to Columbia Hills State Park

Great shots all around. And great timing with the clouds as I couldn't seem to land anything too dramatic during my short stay there. And I can't find that old car for the life of me but that's a great subject in the field.

May 06, 2014 at 12:38 PM
briancphoto
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Changes coming to Columbia Hills State Park

Thanks. Yeah I sort of new that car was out there somewhere and I just stumbled upon it.

May 06, 2014 at 02:28 PM
khilleg
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Changes coming to Columbia Hills State Park

Nice series. This is my new favorite playground. I love old rusted things...

I haven't had a good sunrise/sunset there yet, though. I hope to nail a good shot of Mt Hood with the flowers next year. Hoping for another good bloom

Kevin

May 08, 2014 at 12:39 AM
briancphoto
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Changes coming to Columbia Hills State Park

Thanks. It does seem rare to get good sunrise/sunsets there. It seems like if there are enough clouds that far out east then there are too many clouds and no color. That plus the fact if there are some clouds it seems to always be blowing about 40 mph. It will be interesting to see what the park does with some of the old rusted things there. I am a little worried they will put up ropes and fences like they have around the farm implements. It will make photography harder.

Brian

May 08, 2014 at 10:07 AM
fstop212
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Changes coming to Columbia Hills State Park

absolutly gorgeous!

May 08, 2014 at 10:58 AM
charlesxhx

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Changes coming to Columbia Hills State Park

Amazing photos!

May 09, 2014 at 12:34 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Changes coming to Columbia Hills State Park

Love this series with the last my favorite. I love Hwy 14, I always took that route instead of I-84.

That wind is why the gorge is full of wind farms.

May 09, 2014 at 10:31 AM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Changes coming to Columbia Hills State Park

Wow, nice series. That last image is spectacular! Great work on these.
Keith W.

May 09, 2014 at 11:02 AM
briancphoto
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Changes coming to Columbia Hills State Park

Thanks again everyone for looking and commenting

Brian

May 09, 2014 at 03:33 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.