New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Oly (prolly) 28 & 100 lenses

joekraft
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Oly (prolly) 28 & 100 lenses

How are the 28 /2.8 and 100/2 regarded? The 100 I am looking at right now is not bargain priced ( at least not by my standards) - is it worth it? The application would be as a portrait lens on an aps-c sensor WITH a speedbooster, so there will be a little extra glass most likely.

As far as the 28 - any other options I should look at if I want say 40-45 eFOV? Doesn't HAVE to be oly. The sigma is under consideration of course.

Thanks

May 06, 2014 at 09:38 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Oly (prolly) 28 & 100 lenses

The Oly 100/2 is very highly regarded. It has floating rear elements and ED glass. I haven't had the pleasure of owning one.

Photography in Malaysia on the 100/2 (and f/2.8),
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/shared/zuiko/htmls/100mm.htm

Olympus Lens Group on the 100/2,
http://esif.world-traveller.org/om-sif/lensgroup/100mmf2.htm

I don't know about the 28/2.8, but I can tell you that the 24/2.8 is a very nice lens.

The sites linked above have descriptions of all Oly OM lenses.

May 06, 2014 at 09:59 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Oly (prolly) 28 & 100 lenses

The 28mm f2.8 is good, but not great.

I used to like the 10omm f2, but I found it suffers from very strong color fringing/chromatic aberration on the A7R - easily the worst of the two dozen OM lenses I owned. I was quite surprised at this, considering it's supposed to have ED glass.

I agree with Jim that the OM 24mm f2.8 MC is one of the best Olympus wide lenses.

May 06, 2014 at 01:33 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Oly (prolly) 28 & 100 lenses

The 100 f/2 is a very highly regarded lens. It has a lot in common with the Oly 90 f/2 Macro. They were made about the same time, both have ED glass, both have floating element construction, and both have a fairly short minimum focus distance (the 100 focus to .7M not making it a macro but a very respectable about 1:4 magnification). It does cost a fair bit, however.

If you are looking for an inexpensive lens in this range. An excellent option is the Nikon 105mm f/2.5. It is a little slower, has a longer minimum focus distance, and doesn't have ED glass, but it does have excellent bokeh and is a wonderful portrait lens wide open and is quite sharp stopped down. Best of all you can get one for less than $200 typical. I prefer the Ai to the AiS mainly because the AiS has a crappy built in hood that is an annoyance.

For a little more money you can get the Contax/Yashica mount Zeiss 100mm f/2 that is very sharp and has an even better reputation than the Oly. It is know for it bokeh as well as its high resolution. It doesn't have the floating element or the short minimum focus distance, or the ED glass, but many people would prefer it over the Oly. The modern ZE/ZF 100 f/2 macro has some similarities to the C/Y Zeiss 100 f/2 and would give you even closer MFD, a floating element, and excellent sharpness.

At 28mm I would recommend the Minolta MD 28mm f/2. It is a quite good performer and reasonably priced. It is of course a full stop faster than the Oly and IMO has a lot better bokeh than the Oly 28 f/2. The Oly 28 f/2.8 is about as cheap as they come, so the Minolta is more expensive but it isn't too bad at $350 or so. Another very good bargain 28 is the Pentax K mount 28mm f/3.5. It seems to have better contrast than the Oly 28 f/2.8 or Oly 28 f/3.5 and is equally sharp across the frame.

Good luck with your search.

May 06, 2014 at 01:45 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Oly (prolly) 28 & 100 lenses

I'd go with a Samyang/Rokinon 85mm f1.4 if you want a portrait lens, $300 brand new, sharp wide open, and creamy bokeh

I'd also recommend (though not sure if it works with a speedbooster) the Contax 90mm f2.8 G. Not ultra fast, but sharp wide open, and with all the characteristic Zeiss-look that usually cost about 4x as much

I've had lenses like the C/Y 85, ZF 85 etc, and honestly, the Rokinon matches them at f2.0 and faster. Has more of a neutral, though some may say "boring" bokeh style too, which I like

I've paid decent premiums for some OM glass, which doesn't have any decent small alternatives, like the 18/3.5 but there are so many good portrait length lenses on the market that the 100/2 prices seem a bit silly

May 06, 2014 at 06:21 PM
jolson72
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Oly (prolly) 28 & 100 lenses

I had a 100/2 many years ago in the film days. I felt it was a bit cool, and I ended up selling it and keeping the Olympus 100/2.8. The 100/2.8 is not nearly as well regarded, but it is what I liked.

I think the Olympus 85/2 had a good reputation, and is much cheaper than the 90/2 or 100/2. My favorite Olympus lenses were the 24/2, 28/2, 50/3.5 macro and the 100/2.8

But, again, that was in the film era with different standards.

May 07, 2014 at 11:16 PM
redisburning
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Oly (prolly) 28 & 100 lenses

if there's one thing I feel strongly enough to post about, it's a +1 to the OM 50/3.5 macro.

not only is it one of the very few xenotar derivatives in 35mm, it also does the best over the entire focus range due to a floating CRC and AFAIK it has the best fine detail reproduction of any of this class of lens (most, if not all, of which are excellent lenses, especially this Zuiko and the Canon FD).

May 08, 2014 at 12:44 AM
joekraft
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Oly (prolly) 28 & 100 lenses

Thanks guys. Millsart, that sounds like a good option for the portrait length, I'll look into it. Otherwise, I'll keep my eyes open for a 28/2, and avoid the 2.8.

May 08, 2014 at 09:56 AM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Oly (prolly) 28 & 100 lenses

If you need a fast lens then 28/2 is an option. If your needs are more typical landscape type applications then the OM 28mm f/3.5 is just as sharp at a fraction of the cost. I am very happy with my OM 28 f3.5. (I think I paid $30).

There is a good comparison of all 3 versions here.

Dave

May 08, 2014 at 01:17 PM
Ed Sawyer
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Oly (prolly) 28 & 100 lenses

the OM 50/3.5 is a great lens, no doubt. Back in the day it sold for almost as much as the OM 50/2 macro. Today they go for a pittance!

The xenotar resemblance is quite close, indeed. That is curious, since those lenses seem optimized for different purposes. (Xenotar was never designed for macro).

I don't think the OM 50/3.5 has a floating element though. I may be mistaken but I thought it was unit focusing?

-Ed

redisburning wrote:
if there's one thing I feel strongly enough to post about, it's a +1 to the OM 50/3.5 macro.

not only is it one of the very few xenotar derivatives in 35mm, it also does the best over the entire focus range due to a floating CRC and AFAIK it has the best fine detail reproduction of any of this class of lens (most, if not all, of which are excellent lenses, especially this Zuiko and the Canon FD).

May 09, 2014 at 11:39 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.