Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2014 · FE 24-70 buyers, happy with it?

edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · FE 24-70 buyers, happy with it?

FlyPenFly wrote:
Pretty interesting pivot right after they started marketing their own line...

I agree.

By the way, even though I have already sold my A7 and ZA lenses, I am very interested in what MF lenses Zeiss is going to release for the FE mount. I might buy another A7 just for these.

May 07, 2014 at 11:19 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · FE 24-70 buyers, happy with it?

It's a compromise, but it works for me as a general purpose lens. I haven't tried the 28-70 myself, but from comparisons I have seen, the 24-70 is quite a bit sharper with better contrast and color. This justifies the small penalty in size and weight. Not so much the higher price, but the 28-70 isn't exactly inexpensive for a kit lens either. I think differently that some other people who share the same observations as me. Even though the 28-70 is cheaper and not so much worse, I don't want a lower quality lens that I will be less satisfied with just because it is less expensive, so I keep the 24-70.

The infamous edge and corner performance at 24 mm is not so much of a problem to me, since I rarely present photos in the 3:2 aspect ratio. 4:3 at most, more often 5:4 or square. This means that the problematic areas are most often cropped out.

The lens requires software correction of distortion and at some focal lengths lateral CA for critical work.

May 08, 2014 at 02:34 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · FE 24-70 buyers, happy with it?

edwardkaraa wrote:
Not a popular rumor but confirmed by Zeiss themselves in an email reply to someone here (can't remember if it was Phillip or someone else). Also the sole designer of the ZA 55/1.8 is Naoki Miyagawa, who may be also responsible for the design of the remaining ZA FE lenses.

That E-Mail didn't say they had no part in the design but that it changed from lens to lens. But that it was a Sony lens designer who designed the 1.8/55 and many patents don't mention Zeiss points into a certain direction.

May 08, 2014 at 03:53 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · FE 24-70 buyers, happy with it?

Phillip Reeve wrote:
That E-Mail didn't say they had no part in the design but that it changed from lens to lens. But that it was a Sony lens designer who designed the 1.8/55 and many patents don't mention Zeiss points into a certain direction.

Sorry Phillip, then it wasn't you. It must have been another member.

Also one member on Dyxum forum who has close ties with Zeiss has been saying this for many years now.

May 08, 2014 at 05:17 AM
twoeye
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · FE 24-70 buyers, happy with it?

The FE 4/24-70 has it weaknesses, especially in the wide and long end, but after returning from a one week ski tour when weight and the versatility of a zoom is crucial I am more than satisfied with its performance. In the mid range contrast/ color sharpness is good, corners in the wide end are weak, and the long end is a little softer than one could hope for.

I have posted one sample in the HD-images thread, more to come.

May 08, 2014 at 05:18 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · FE 24-70 buyers, happy with it?

FlyPenFly wrote:
Looks like the copy DXOMark has is pretty good but the copy that Photozone.de had is abysmal.

I think Roger from Lens Rental needs to do a larger test with many samples.

I've tested 10 (we don't stock that many of them). I had one way off, 2 that were off somewhat on one side, 7 passed. They were all close in SN though, so I didn't feel it was a random sample. Then again, I'm not certain how many Sony has made. Might be that it's only one SN run. FWIW I had one of three copies of the 70-200 f/4 fail, too.

I'll add, though, that Sony is being proactive about gathering information on sample variation and seems to be working to improve it.

May 08, 2014 at 07:42 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · FE 24-70 buyers, happy with it?

RCicala wrote:
I've tested 10 (we don't stock that many of them). I had one way off, 2 that were off somewhat on one side, 7 passed. They were all close in SN though, so I didn't feel it was a random sample. Then again, I'm not certain how many Sony has made. Might be that it's only one SN run. FWIW I had one of three copies of the 70-200 f/4 fail, too.

I'll add, though, that Sony is being proactive about gathering information on sample variation and seems to be working to improve it.

Roger if you guys ever decide to sell lenses pre-tested on your fancy new optical bench for a premium, I know where I would order my new lenses from now on.

May 08, 2014 at 07:57 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · FE 24-70 buyers, happy with it?

FlyPenFly wrote:
Roger if you guys ever decide to sell lenses pre-tested on your fancy new optical bench for a premium, I know where I would order my new lenses from now on.

+1

May 08, 2014 at 08:09 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · FE 24-70 buyers, happy with it?

FlyPenFly wrote:

The problem is what do I do with the three other ones that fail. Since we're a business, we can't return them.
I do think that fairly soon we'll be offering to test your copy with a 1 day turnaround. That might let people buy, have tested, and then get it back within the return period.

May 08, 2014 at 10:30 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · FE 24-70 buyers, happy with it?

RCicala wrote:
The problem is what do I do with the three other ones that fail. Since we're a business, we can't return them.
I do think that fairly soon we'll be offering to test your copy with a 1 day turnaround. That might let people buy, have tested, and then get it back within the return period.

Can't those be filed as defective as tested and sent for repair to the manufacture? Once its repaired, it could be used for rentals or sold again I suppose with updated MTF numbers.

I guess what might work would be a graduated system. Lets say you order 100 lenses, top 10 of the tested batch are priced 30% higher, next top 40 sold 15% higher, and then the middle ground lenses sold at a 10% higher price. The ones that are total duds are sent back for repair.

I think just the comfort in knowing you're not getting a total dud but a middle performing copy is worth a premium.

Edited on May 08, 2014 at 10:56 AM · View previous versions

May 08, 2014 at 10:53 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · FE 24-70 buyers, happy with it?

RCicala wrote:

hehe, poor CaNiSon, no more "the lens ist within our specs" because you have better tools to test them. You really should expand to Europe ;-)

Edited on May 08, 2014 at 10:56 AM · View previous versions

May 08, 2014 at 10:56 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.