Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Keep D3s or buy D4

sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Keep D3s or buy D4

no, there are other minor enhancements that when used correctly work a bit better in low light. there is assuming it and using it. and i think maybe your second shooter wasn't familiar with the cameras operation all that well.

as to the 1Dx yet another opinion that is not shared by all.

but thats what the conversation is mostly made up of.

May 12, 2014 at 08:21 PM
Fstr.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Keep D3s or buy D4

I own both the D3 and D4. The D3 was indeed a game changer as it really expanded the capability of those who shoot low light. My personal experience is that the quality of the files produced in low light by the D4 easily exceeds those produced by the D3. Both are great cameras though.

May 15, 2014 at 12:03 AM
Spectro

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Keep D3s or buy D4

Interesting posts. I had a slightly different view. I have loved my D3 bodies for several years but was pushing the limit at indoor arenas and stadiums for media worthy photos. The difference between D3 and D3s was surprisingly significant with respect to ISO. So for less than the price of one D4s body I was able to buy two low mileage D3s bodies that will more than satisfy my needs and that I can use intuitively since they are so identical to the D3 to operate. For me it's mission accomplished with no regrets.

Jun 17, 2014 at 03:14 PM
blutch
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Keep D3s or buy D4

I shoot this kind of photography professionally as well. I use a D3s and a D800. The D3s kicks the D800's ass in this environment.. all the time. My question to the OP, is why you won't consider the DF?

B

Jun 17, 2014 at 09:47 PM
mongoose777
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Keep D3s or buy D4

Seems like somebody needs to get their D4 and send it in to NPS or Nikon for inspection regarding
the overall performance when comparing it to the D3s.
I do know a few colleagues have sent in their 1st generation D4 bodies bc their bodies were somewhat soft.
They also had the lens release button stick, not allowing removal of the lens.
TRICK: Face the camera upwards and shake slightly while depressing release button and remove lens.

I own -5- camera bodies.
-3- D3 bodies
-2- D3s bodies
-1-D4s body
Ive been shooting professionaly for about 20 plus years.
I shot canon up until the sub mirror re-flex problems with the MKIII.
I have since been shooting Nikon.
I use my D3 bodies for all event gigs such as cheer competition and club volleyball.
I will sometimes use the D3s for those gigs.
The D3s does a much better job over the D3 in lowlight situations such as indoor
sporting events and poorly lit HS football stadiums.
When I shoot pro and college sports, the D3s was the main choice bc of the improved
buffer and better lowlight.
Now that I have the D4s body, there is simply NO COMPARISON with the D3s.
IMO, for my usage and for the type of events that I cover, the D4s beats the D3s from start to finish
in every aspect you can ever imagine.
The Speed, lowlight, Focus accuracy, hit to miss ratio and virtually
no shutter lag to name a few. Not sure on SRAW capabilities as of yet.
I do miss the dual CF cards, but the new Xqd card is extremely fast @ R/W speeds
when comparing to CF cards.
That extra 4mg file size is a godsend as it allows me to get a tighter crop without worrying that
the image will become softer looking.
I shot over 5k shots and only had about 20 shots that were soft on my last shoot @ LA coliseum
about 2 weeks ago. I had a D4s/400 2.8vr, D3s/200 f/2, D3s/70-200vrII at my finger tips at all times.
As I put the D4s down and switched to the D3s/200 I could tell immediately that the focus speed and accuracy
was just not in the same league. I never really thought the D4s was gonna be that much better than the D3s.
I too were convinced that the D3s was simply a great combination setup for all my needs, then that D4s devil came in and took my my breath and my soul away.
I was just shocked by how much better the overall performance was.
Im very happy with all my setup, but just elated and proud to own such a fine precision instrument in the D4s.
BTW, the battery life was an impressive 3.5k and still had enough to probably get to 4k, I had an extra battery, but only used the one since I had a 45min late lunch break and charged it at that time for the rest of the day.
The D4s is not for everybody and the D3s will still be a great camera for years to come, but the D4s just gives me that competitive edge in this fast and crazy world of major pro/college sporting events.

Edited on Jun 18, 2014 at 09:01 AM · View previous versions

Jun 18, 2014 at 08:10 AM
mongoose777
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Keep D3s or buy D4

All Nikon gear is great if used properly

Edited on Jun 18, 2014 at 09:02 AM · View previous versions

Jun 18, 2014 at 08:43 AM
mongoose777
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Keep D3s or buy D4

John Skinner wrote:
"So.. this is my take. I'm sure current owners of the D4(s) will hop in to tell you all the reasons that they took the hit and feel ok about it. I, as a 30+ year shooter, just don't see it."

Reasons we took the hit so we can feel ok? Your kidding, right?
Nice job of slamming others who actually own the D4s and who actually make money from using this camera in the real world of sports. This may be your way of justification in not wanting a D4s, and thats fine. But as you said, you don't see it, maybe bc you may not make enough as a 30 year shooter to get your money back in return. Im able to fund all my gear based on the money I make shooting in covering events throughout the country. Buying the D4s was a very expensive and substantial jump for me as well, just like many here on this forum, but I see the need for this camera body for my own use.
I agree that I do not recommend it for everybody unless you will personally benefit from all of its abilities and especially if one gets compensated for using it, otherwise the D3s is a highly capable camera for most users, including myself.

Jun 18, 2014 at 08:52 AM
Taoguy
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Keep D3s or buy D4

Mongoose777 -
I appreciate your opinion shared here. I've not had the chance to try out the D4s, its always good to hear from someone that uses both new body and old at the same time. I recall reading how many D3 owners thought the upgrade to the D3s was not worth it, to me the cameras are night and day, (almost) not taking anything away from the D3.

I tried out the D4 and didn't have enough time with it but the deterrent was the battery change ( I have the D3x & D3s with 10 batteries) so $$ will need to go out for new batteries. I do use the grip on my D800e w/EL-18's so I believe they will work in the D4s. Then the memory card issue, I use 64 gb's and 128 gb's primarily so the Xqd card will serve as a back up. And the D3s just always worked in any condition and was the best body I've ever used.

I still recall selling my two Canon MKII n's, (second best camera I've owned), which brought me back to Nikon. I'm not selling my D3s, but will have to make room for the D4s, yup, read your post, answered the questions I had, can't wait to put her through the paces. Dave Black & Moose said the same thing but Moose tends to sell all the time, Dave not so much. If Nikon comes out with the D5 or D4X this year post your opinion somewhere else please,

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:41 PM
blutch
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Keep D3s or buy D4

mongoose777 wrote:
I own -5- camera bodies.
-3- D3 bodies
-2- D3s bodies
-1-D4s body

Looks more like you own 6 camera bodies.

Nice post. Thanks.. Now I really want a D4s. I thought my D3s was just as good in the ways I needed it to be as a D4... meaning the improvements were not significant enough on the D4 for me to need to buy one... now with the D4s, it seems to not be the same at all. dang...

B

Jun 18, 2014 at 02:51 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Keep D3s or buy D4

Taoguy wrote:
Then the memory card issue, I use 64 gb's and 128 gb's primarily so the Xqd card will serve as a back up.

I really like Sony's XQD cards and, after over 10K images, have not had a single problem with them. Prefer their size and speed (XQD S series). Short of manufacturing issue, storage cards (CF or XQD) rarely fail, which is why I find Skinner's account of multiple XQD card failures hard to believe. Even if his card failure account is not hyperbole, it is not indicative of XQD-S failure rate being higher than CF cards.

There is a case to be made about which technology is better--XQD or Cfast. I don't know which will become the standard for cameras of the future. I don't worry about XQD cards not being supported by Sony and other makers in the future, at least for the lifetime of my D4s.

Jun 18, 2014 at 04:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Taoguy
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Keep D3s or buy D4

I'm not concerned about the quality of the Sony cards, it just requires another format when either 2 XQD slots to CF slots would have served the shooter better IMO. I use card readers so that required another reader unless there is one out there that reads CF, XQD, and SD, just like to keep it simple.

Jun 18, 2014 at 05:35 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Keep D3s or buy D4

Taoguy wrote:
I'm not concerned about the quality of the Sony cards, it just requires another format when either 2 XQD slots to CF slots would have served the shooter better IMO. I use card readers so that required another reader unless there is one out there that reads CF, XQD, and SD, just like to keep it simple.

Your previous post mentioned using the XQD as a back up, which would require a different reader. I was making a case for using the XDQ as a primary slot.

Jun 18, 2014 at 05:49 PM
DontShoot
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Keep D3s or buy D4

nick53097 wrote:
I am using D3s for low light dance photography and for wedding ceremonies
Now seems to be a good moment to upgrade to D4, but I am not sure if it worth it
(D4s is not an option, Df is not an option either)
Please comment if you used both

I've shot with both..There are some small improvements on the D4 - mostly on the ergonomics part. DR has improved, you get a few extra MP's, the illuminated buttons are nice and more useful than I thought for night weddings, there are two joysticks now. You can assign the REC button to change ISO (useful when shooting in M mode), you can change flash EC to overall frame or ambient, and it will AF lenses to f/8 (say, if you put a TC-20EIII on a 500 f/4). etc etc There are other things but what I liked the most were illuminated buttons and better DR.

If your D3s is still making you money, I would stick with them and wait until more people switch to the D4s. In a few months, the D4 price will go down some more.

Jun 18, 2014 at 06:32 PM
mongoose777
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Keep D3s or buy D4

Yeah, your right when I count the newly bought D4s body it is now 6.
Wow, maybe I have too many bodies, but my son shoots several sporting gigs
and makes pretty good money in doing so, but he uses my gear.
In fact, I'm probably gonna give him one of my D3s bodies
since I can afford to let it go now that I have the D4s.

Jun 18, 2014 at 11:36 PM
blutch
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Keep D3s or buy D4

I'd love to have a second D3s body. I went with a D800 as a second body and I often regret that decision.

Jun 19, 2014 at 02:14 AM
Spectro

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Keep D3s or buy D4

The Nikon D4s shooters at the sporting events I shoot seem to echo mongoose777's opinion regarding the improvements. The long time Canon shooters seem to feel the same way about the 1Dx. For me and my personal economy the D3s will do until these two bodies get tired and then I'll move up to a D4s. I'm sure by then the D4s will be old and something newer will be considered way better. That's all good in my opinion. As long as there are people buying and babying the pro bodies there will be people like me more than willing to by their low mileage units and putting another 100,000+ frames on them....

Jun 19, 2014 at 02:50 PM
suhsin

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Keep D3s or buy D4

I would probably keep the D3S.

Jun 22, 2014 at 10:30 PM
dbr403
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Keep D3s or buy D4

I have and use both - don't get me wrong the D3s is an excellent machine -- but in all honesty head to head it does NOTHING better than the D4. That is why used its $3000 and the D4 is $4000.

Jun 22, 2014 at 10:49 PM
DietCigs

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Keep D3s or buy D4

great discussion and share of experience. and it seems in the end, always the cash gets to talk

Jun 24, 2014 at 05:56 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password