Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Keep D3s or buy D4

nick53097
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Keep D3s or buy D4

I am using D3s for low light dance photography and for wedding ceremonies
Now seems to be a good moment to upgrade to D4, but I am not sure if it worth it
(D4s is not an option, Df is not an option either)
Please comment if you used both

May 06, 2014 at 02:15 AM
pw-pix
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Keep D3s or buy D4

I haven't used a D4 but I can't see the value in the upgrade unless you are desperately short of pixels for your end use of the photos. I'm intending to retain my D3s for at least another generation, as even the D4s doesn't add enough to make it worth changing.
I do have a D800E for when many pixels are important.

May 06, 2014 at 02:21 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Keep D3s or buy D4

I have the D3, D3s and have used a D4 over the last few months.

This is a loaded question in so many ways. People on the pro side of the 'go for it' will tell you about the added stop of so.. the difference in noise, added functionality of some minor features and so on.. But myself ( a direct user ) will tell you that unless you are one of those people that spend more time talking about equipment than using it.. It's all just numbers and charts.

The D3s is the most undervalued body Nikon made on the current market.

The FRACTIONAL differences I've seen in ACTUAL real world shooting do not justify the gap of roughly $1,500.00 +/-. And added to that ownership model are the costs of adding a new reader, and whatever memory you require to complete your flow.

Yes.... it's a nice new body with a few bells. But that's it. The D4s is even less of a value when compared. Although some of the focusing tweaks on the D4s drop that down considerably because they are REAL world changes that DO add to a quicker and more fruitful outcome on shots.

The XQD cards have been...... a pain in my ass, to but it bluntly. And I do not care for the format whatsoever. Overpriced, over-hyped, and have failed on me twice in such a short time. I can't explain it.

So.. this is my take. I'm sure current owners of the D4(s) will hop in to tell you all the reasons that they took the hit and feel ok about it. I, as a 30+ year shooter, just don't see it.

Best of luck wrestling this decision.

May 06, 2014 at 02:49 AM
Frogfish
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Keep D3s or buy D4

Very interesting take John. I almost swapped the D3s out for a D4 a couple of weeks ago (just to gain those extra pixels for bird photography where there is very often a lot of cropping) but although the US$4k for a very very lightly used D4 seemed OK the trade in price of US$2.5k for my pristine low shutter count (under 20k) D3s most certainly wasn't !

May 06, 2014 at 03:44 AM
nick53097
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Keep D3s or buy D4

I do like my D3s a lot, compare to all Nikons I had (D800E included) it is still the best and I use it a lot. Sometimes I just wish that my D600 have a better AF system and 100% magnification function, those two updates may do the trick

May 06, 2014 at 04:01 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Keep D3s or buy D4

Frogfish wrote:
Very interesting take John. I almost swapped the D3s out for a D4 a couple of weeks ago (just to gain those extra pixels for bird photography where there is very often a lot of cropping) but although the US$4k for a very very lightly used D4 seemed OK the trade in price of US$2.5k for my pristine low shutter count (under 20k) D3s most certainly wasn't !

I believe, this was a smart move.

Once these D4 models come down a bit farther, people can decide on that memory thing as a whole. We still don't have certainty that Nikon will continue to employ this format. Even Sony itself with the newest releases didn't support the XQD, and you have to wonder about that. I have about 3K invested in CF here. I don't want to have to invest in another Beta-Max machine..... the 80's were quite enough for me thank you very much.

In M Y perfect world presently, I would carry and use 3 - D3s models and 1 - D800E.

At the place where we are at now market wise... cost vs. 'bang for buck'. I don't think you can touch the combination without loosing sight of what we're doing here.. feeding ourselves and making images.

May 06, 2014 at 05:38 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Keep D3s or buy D4

I'd bite the bullet and go for the D4s. Best camera I've ever shot.

May 06, 2014 at 06:09 AM
TooManyCameras

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Keep D3s or buy D4

I'd be interested in the D3s if good condition and relatively low shutter count. Sure the D4 and D4s are better but worth the money??

May 07, 2014 at 10:25 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Keep D3s or buy D4

there are enthusiast decisions and then there are business decisions and never the twain shall meet.

May 10, 2014 at 05:20 PM
gugs
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Keep D3s or buy D4

Probably not many people will agree with me, but I really don't think the D4 generation is worth the money. I deeply regret I couldn't find a D3s when I needed an extra pro body. Even if my assignments pay for my gear, I don't like the D4 generation. XQD is an extremely expensive joke, the incompatible batteries another one, and functionally speaking it is difficult to justify the price difference. The D4 should be much cheaper looking at the price erosion of all key components. Don't misunderstand me, the D4 is an excellent tool, but the D3 has been a complete game changer and according to me, the best digital camera Nikon ever released, I see the D4 as an expensive evolution with a few improvements (like UI, resolution, FPs) and serious drawbacks.

Guy

May 10, 2014 at 07:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Richard Ersted
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Keep D3s or buy D4

"The D3s is the most undervalued body Nikon made on the current market."

+1

May 10, 2014 at 08:52 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Keep D3s or buy D4

gugs wrote:
Probably not many people will agree with me, but I really don't think the D4 generation is worth the money. I deeply regret I couldn't find a D3s when I needed an extra pro body. Even if my assignments pay for my gear, I don't like the D4 generation. XQD is an extremely expensive joke, the incompatible batteries another one, and functionally speaking it is difficult to justify the price difference. The D4 should be much cheaper looking at the price erosion of all key components. Don't misunderstand me, the D4 is an excellent tool, but the D3 has been
...Show more

so tell me, what are you going to do when it all turns on you? and whether you like it or not if you want the HiPerf wonder camera it will.

the next gen of cards will not be CF as you see them today or compatible either. that is a forgone conclusion that it will change.

the battery is going to change no matter what you want. it is required.

it is both technology and business. you can choose to stand your ground, which is fine, or move forward. sometimes you just don't look back. I have had no serious drawbacks using the D4. it is a tool of business and I found it enjoyable to use.

just for reference this same thing happened with Canon the NP-E3 (NiMh no less) was replaced awhile back with the NP-E4N not backward compatible.
whats funny is no one blinked an eye when it happened.
also when canon added the second slot originally it was to SD. now that was a step backwards. some mutterings there though.

Edited on May 11, 2014 at 02:52 PM · View previous versions

May 10, 2014 at 09:40 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Keep D3s or buy D4

Deleted the post because my assumption was in error. Of course you can still read it if you want to waste your time.

Edited on May 10, 2014 at 10:11 PM · View previous versions

May 10, 2014 at 09:57 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Keep D3s or buy D4

actually he does own a D4. it is in his profile.

May 10, 2014 at 10:07 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Keep D3s or buy D4

sjms wrote:
actually he does own a D4. it is in his profile.

Then I rescind my previous post. His post seemed to be written as one opposed to buying the D4. I'll delete my post now.

May 10, 2014 at 10:09 PM
dtulis

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Keep D3s or buy D4

My D3s cameras outperform the D4 in focus and color balance in low light. Somehow, the low light images just plain look better on a D3S rather than the D4 although the file size of a D4 would sometimes be nice to have.

For sports, the D4 is much quicker but the focus is also much more erratic, so it's a wash.

I agree that the CF card situation will probably change sometime soon but for now it is still the industry standard for pro cameras, and the D3S allows 2 slots.

One of the two funny rubber thumb joy sticks ripped right off of the D4 I was using, so I taped it on for the next two months. FYI, they are now metal (or hard plastic) on the D4S!

So, in my opinion, the D3S is still the way to go unless or until you spring for a D4S. But I'd probably skip the D4.

May 12, 2014 at 12:58 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Keep D3s or buy D4

if you say so. but then i skipped the D3s

but then i also tend to disagree. i think that there is/was enough of a difference between the 2 cameras functionality that required a review of how to use it where in the end it did make a difference.
in the end its a matter of taste and business and in the end who is handling it.

NIKON D4    24.0-120.0 mm f/4.0 lens    24mm    1/80s    20318 ISO    -0.7 EV  

NIKON D4    28mm    f/5.6    1/100s    25600 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D4    280mm    1/3200s    1000 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D4    280mm    1/1250s    1000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on May 12, 2014 at 03:45 AM · View previous versions

May 12, 2014 at 02:41 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Keep D3s or buy D4

dtulis wrote:
My D3s cameras outperform the D4 in focus and color balance in low light. Somehow, the low light images just plain look better on a D3S rather than the D4 although the file size of a D4 would sometimes be nice to have.

For sports, the D4 is much quicker but the focus is also much more erratic, so it's a wash.

I agree that the CF card situation will probably change sometime soon but for now it is still the industry standard for pro cameras, and the D3S allows 2 slots.

One of the two funny rubber thumb joy sticks
...Show more

My experience was somewhat different than yours. The ISO advantage over the D3s was not that big, but the D4 focused much better in any light and I didn't find it erratic. The sub-selector is something that I don't use that often, but, I have read reports of it popping off. As to the memory cards, I happen to like the XQD cards, though they are expensive. I was disappointed that Lexar back out of this market. The XQD is smaller, doesn't bend camera pins, doesn't slow down like CF cards under continuous use, and less likely to malfunction. I think the price will drop in time.
But, all that said, the D4S is by far the better camera.

May 12, 2014 at 03:21 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Keep D3s or buy D4

We all can rationalize ourselves into anything we want.

May 12, 2014 at 03:33 AM
elkhornsun
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Keep D3s or buy D4

The only gain with the D4 generation is the f8 AF sensors which help when using telephoto lenses with teleconverters. For event photography in low light there is no real gain in AF performance as the D4 has the same 15 cross type AF sensor arrangement with the same sensitivity as is found in the D3/D3s/D800 cameras.

When I saw that my second shooter's D4 autofocus performance in low light was no better than my D3 or D800 I decided to wait for the D5. Second option was to move back to Canon as the 1D X does have a substantially better autofocus system for low light photography.

May 12, 2014 at 07:55 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password