New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Macchu Picchu--Galapagos--Help me pick my gear

IdahoBob
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Macchu Picchu--Galapagos--Help me pick my gear

I'm going to the Galapagos Islands on a small side trip in which I am quite limited in gear. The camera will be a 5DMkII. Will have 1.4 and 2.0 teleconverters with me as well as a Canon 1GX pocket camera.

I am limited to one white lens. Which one?

28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS
70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS

Thanks for your thoughts.

Bob

Edited on May 06, 2014 at 09:26 PM · View previous versions

May 05, 2014 at 07:24 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Macchu Picchu--Galapagos--Help me pick my gear

100-400, you need more reach than one might think if you want to maximize your birding. I shot 7D and 100-400 for most wildlife when I was there 3 years ago. If you don't care for birds then maybe the 70-200 would be ideal with TC use as needed. Still I think I would go with the 100-400.

May 05, 2014 at 07:40 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Macchu Picchu--Galapagos--Help me pick my gear

If you are travelling with a spouse, split the gear with them so you have it all with you when you arrive! For me it would depend on mfd. A long lens with the ability to get a bit closer for more intimate shots would be a consideration (and I like them with extension tubes for some subjects).

May 05, 2014 at 09:30 PM
jfwoodman
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Macchu Picchu--Galapagos--Help me pick my gear

+1, I would go with the extra focal length. I assume you'll have a wider angle lens (16-35, 24-105 etc) available as well?

arbitrage wrote:
100-400, you need more reach than one might think if you want to maximize your birding. I shot 7D and 100-400 for most wildlife when I was there 3 years ago. If you don't care for birds then maybe the 70-200 would be ideal with TC use as needed. Still I think I would go with the 100-400.

May 05, 2014 at 11:14 PM
jgkowalke

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Macchu Picchu--Galapagos--Help me pick my gear

I would definitely go with the extra length. I regretted not having a longer lens when I was there 5 years ago. Sure, a lot of wildlife is close, but there were plenty of times when we saw birds / critters that were beyond the STOP point and we couldn't get any closer. Have a wonderful time! Definitely a trip of a lifetime.

-- Jeff

May 05, 2014 at 11:53 PM
IdahoBob
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Macchu Picchu--Galapagos--Help me pick my gear

Thanks all,

I've rethought my packing and bags and think I can squeeze the following:

1DMkIV, 24-105, and 100-400, + adapters. Monopod.

Thanks

May 06, 2014 at 12:08 PM
IdahoBob
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Macchu Picchu--Galapagos--Help me pick my gear

Still playing the weight game and have a new wrinkle in my thoughts. The trip is actually a Macchu Picchu and Galapagos. I was planning to take a video camera and 1GX to Macchu Picchu figuring mostly panoramas and light weight (and stashing other gear in Cuzco). But when I weighed the video camera and its wide angle + telephoto adapters + the 1GX, it weighs and takes up about the same volume (in a backpack) as a 1DX + 24-105. The video cam and 1GX have better zoom. For those who have been to Macchu Picchu...do I need any more zoom than the 105?

My new plan is 1DX + 24-105 to Macchu Picchu and same to Galapagos + the 100-400 and teleconvertors. Thoughts?

Thanks for bearing with me.

Bob

May 06, 2014 at 08:58 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Macchu Picchu--Galapagos--Help me pick my gear

I think you will be fine with 24-105 at MP. Most pictures there are wide angle or close details of the architecture but you can walk right up to that. Only wildlife are some tame llamas and you could shoot them at 105 easily.

Why are you so limited on weight/size of gear?

May 06, 2014 at 09:39 PM
IdahoBob
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Macchu Picchu--Galapagos--Help me pick my gear

arbitrage wrote:
I think you will be fine with 24-105 at MP. Most pictures there are wide angle or close details of the architecture but you can walk right up to that. Only wildlife are some tame llamas and you could shoot them at 105 easily.

Why are you so limited on weight/size of gear?

For the Macchu Picchu portion just limited by what I want to carry on my back. For Galapagos section the airline limits carry-on weight to 10 kg.

Thanks again for your guidance.

Bob

May 07, 2014 at 12:59 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.