FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · HDR ?

psharvic
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HDR ?

These are a few pics from the Buffalo River area of Arkansas. Like to get some C/C, especially PP.

May 05, 2014 at 06:58 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HDR ?

these dont do anything for me, sorry. The colors are "chromed" out, and the comps on the waterfalls just don't have anything interesting in it (especially water). I personally think these would look better with the natural colors than they look in HDR.

May 05, 2014 at 07:35 PM
psharvic
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HDR ?

Thanks Dustin, appreciate your take on these.

May 05, 2014 at 07:40 PM
John Zeman
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HDR ?

That's one of my favorite areas of the country, I go there at least once every year.

I agree with Dustin though, the HDR here just doesn't look natural at all in any of the photos. The angle you shot Twin Falls from in the last shot is a tough one, I've taken shots from there too and I haven't been happy with mine either so my next visit there I'll be shooting from side and above looking across and down at the falls.

May 05, 2014 at 07:55 PM
psharvic
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HDR ?

Thanks John, appreciate you ideas. Hope to run into you there.

May 05, 2014 at 08:00 PM
John Zeman
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · HDR ?

We could make it happen. I live in Iowa but have family in Little Rock so we always go down there around Valentines Day (granddaughter's birthday) every year and scout out a few Buffalo Region waterfalls on the way down and back.

May 05, 2014 at 08:28 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · HDR ?

I don't mind the compositions, they are pleasant enough. But the HDR is so unnatural, and the color tone of the pictures is much too cyan/aqua. Perhaps you have some to share that haven't been processed quite so much? Look forward to seeing more natural shots from this area!

Jo

May 05, 2014 at 09:27 PM
wswartzwel
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · HDR ?

psharvic,
So nice to see some Arkansas images here!!!
What time of day were these shot? I have found the natural colors of the Arkansas limestone really don't need pushed with HDR if shot early or late. I really like your compositions in these. I am trying to find time to get up to the Nars myself for some sunset images, before it gets too hot. I know HDR images are well liked by many people. Personally I like the natural look better.

Thanks for posting these.

May 05, 2014 at 09:48 PM
elitefroggy
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · HDR ?

I like these but am not crazy about the processing. I played with the last one which needed to be straightened as well IMHO. I like the more natural looking colors much better.

Edited on May 06, 2014 at 09:21 AM · View previous versions

May 05, 2014 at 10:15 PM
lionking
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · HDR ?

I agree with others the PP doesn't look right, regarding compositions, its debatable, but the third is the best of the bunch...

Andrey

May 06, 2014 at 01:02 AM
psharvic
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · HDR ?

Thanks, Jo. The verdict on the PP is clear. I'll work on these again.

May 06, 2014 at 06:16 AM
psharvic
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · HDR ?

Thank you WSW. Eden was morning and Twin ( 3 in this case) was late afternoon. The Parker-Hickman house was pm sun. It already was +90 the day we shot. Heard one of the codgers in the Ozark Cafe say "well, guess I'm about ready for winter now".

May 06, 2014 at 06:22 AM
psharvic
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · HDR ?

Thanks for taking the time to do this Andrey. I do like your colors. Even with a level bubble, I find that waterfall perspectives are tricky.

May 06, 2014 at 06:33 AM
gordon l
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · HDR ?

Too much green color casting in the first shot. I like the scene though.

May 06, 2014 at 11:50 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · HDR ?

I don't understand the title of your post. Perhaps this should be in the post-processing forum.

May 06, 2014 at 12:11 PM
psharvic
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · HDR ?

Thanks Gordon and Jeffrey. Usually post to nature or landscape. Didn't even think of the PP forum, thanks for the idea.

May 06, 2014 at 04:55 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · HDR ?

All of these images lack dark tone, which is why they look a bit odd. Take a look at some of Ansel Adams' photos, and you'll see some very dramatic and mysterious photos that are full of dark tone. If he didn't use such rich dark tone, the images would look flat and lifeless. That is what HDR does to landscape photography.

May 06, 2014 at 06:20 PM
psharvic
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · HDR ?

Thanks Ben, I'm learning a lot with these overdone pics. I agree with you.

May 06, 2014 at 06:42 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.