FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Using my head

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Using my head

I am trying to get to grips with the dedicated, Wi-Fi-controllable system flash for my EM-1. It seems that one gun has to be controlled via the hotshoe, others synchronising by radio. Anyway, I was trying to get away from flash aimed from the hotshoe. So what I tried was a small, flat unit held to my forehead by the rubberised band of a head torch and connected to the hotshoe by a coiled TTL cord. The other was connected only by wi-fi and held on my len front-supporting hand. That had a box-like diffuser attached which can with the unit.

I had variable success, with some severe under-exposure and a few over-exposures. The former were at least partly due to a crumpled tissue, inserted between my forehead and the flash unit to give more comfort (well, less discomfort!) and that seems to have pressed on the power button and switched off.

The trailing coiled cord got in the way quite a lot and I used the rear, tilting live view screen, again with varied success due to the bright sunlight.

The idea was that the flash strapped to me would be the fill light and trigger unit and the forward unit the main light. That did not work out as well as expected but the main light was angled downwards, at an angle, from the left.

Below are some of the more successful images, all cropped for composition. The cropped fly was a framing issue.

I have not exhausted the possibilities of this technique but is unlikely to be my default one.

The lens was my Kiron 105mm macro at f11 and the ISO was "low".

Harold

© Harold Gough 2014

© Harold Gough 2014

© Harold Gough 2014

May 05, 2014 at 12:26 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Using my head

I have done a little more work to bring out the detail in the images.

My next shoot must be with the Printing Nikkor 105mm

Harold

© Harold Gough 2014

© Harold Gough 2014

© Harold Gough 2014

May 06, 2014 at 03:11 AM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Using my head

Very nice series. Last photo my favorite.

May 06, 2014 at 11:49 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Using my head

Thanks, Jonathan.

I'm getting there!

Harold

May 07, 2014 at 12:11 AM
Goldenorfe
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Using my head

1st images looking good, processing on second set makes them look worse!
colours too unatural and over sharpened also?

the colours in #2 fly look good in first image, maybe just a slight levels adjustment to darken mid tones needed Best of the three
[ in second version leaf colour looks very un natural & over processed]

Phil

May 07, 2014 at 02:53 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Using my head

Goldenorfe wrote:

the colours in #2 fly look good in first image, maybe just a slight levels adjustment to darken mid tones needed Best of the three

Phil

Thanks, Phil.

The second set have mainly had shadow relief which tends to have this effect on colours. Depending on how yellow it makes the greens, I may correct it.

I am happy with the sharpening, although I think it is on the limit. I don't touch Unsharp Mask, which can make images look awful.

Harold

May 08, 2014 at 01:25 AM
coder
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Using my head

How do you manage to focus and compose with a flash strapped to your head?

May 08, 2014 at 04:53 PM
Pixel Pooper

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Using my head

Goldenorfe wrote:

Phil

Nice pics, but I have to agree that the unprocessed versions look better. It looks like might have gone a bit heavy on the clarity slider.

May 08, 2014 at 11:40 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Using my head

coder wrote:
How do you manage to focus and compose with a flash strapped to your head?

Remember, this is a try-out, to look for more flexibiity in field shooting, with possible obstruction of the light path with hoods, etc. all in the mix.

To say the least, it is uncomfortable. The head band was intended only for the tiny diode lamp * it came with. I don't have another wi-fi gun to go on the hotshoe as a trigger unit so I have to use the coiled lead from the hot shoe to the headband.

Essentialy, I have to use the tiltable rear live view screen. This is larger, and with higher definition, that the EP-2 one I have struggled with since I started with digital. So it is realistic except in strongest sunlight in an unhelpfiul direction.

When clean, the screen is quite effective but I find that is rapidly accumulated smears of my skin oils, mostly from my cheek when using the eye-level viewfinder. Those smears give a very cloudy effect and make the screen unusable in bright light. It is a soap and water job to clean it. (The idea of using the rear screen as a touch screen and viewfinder is laughable!).

Imagine that the hanging TTL cord is like the nose protector on an archaetypal Viking helmet. There is no way I can use the eye-level viewfinder.

I have some tripod mount rings on order which will take at least the hot shoe-linked gun, possibly both when I don't want a freestanding one. With the present arrangement all light comes from more or less above and I will want some shadow-filling light from low down.

I think a form of the technique may be useful with a tilting screen where it would be very limited with a fixed one. It is really only of interest with hand-held shooting.

* The lamp is very lightweight and was in position, the flash slipped in where the band passes behind the lamp. Thus, the torch could be used in low light or darkness to illuminate the subject or for general operation purposes.

Harold

May 09, 2014 at 02:13 AM
Crowe Light Photography

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Using my head

cool

May 09, 2014 at 05:31 PM
sphan

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Using my head

i think the look of the first set is more natural looking

May 17, 2014 at 02:52 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Using my head

Thanks for the further comments.

I think the third one is definitely better in the second version.

Harold

May 17, 2014 at 03:58 PM
se7enXn9ne

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Using my head

nice!

May 25, 2014 at 03:03 PM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.