Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Reliable/repeatable way to reduce power on monoblocks with only 5 stop a...

pw-pix
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Reliable/repeatable way to reduce power on monoblocks with only 5 stop adjustment range

I'm looking into purchasing some monoblock flash heads, one of those I'm looking at looks like good value but only has a 5 stop power adjustment range. I'm concerned that at close distances in small spaces I may not be able to reduce the power sufficiently to use the camera settings I want.

I have seen mention of using some cloth (perhaps over the front of the softbox? I'm not sure) to reduce the output further.
Does anyone have a method of doing so reliably and repeatably that isn't a complete nuisance to manage while working?

The units in question are the Elinchrom BRX series which only allow 5 stops of power adjustment.
I would not be a heavy user of them and I'm trying to go with a more budget friendly set than go all the way to either the Style RX series with 6 stops of adjustment or even better, the new ELC Pro series with 7 stops of power adjustment.

May 05, 2014 at 01:43 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Reliable/repeatable way to reduce power on monoblocks with only 5 stop adjustment range

Yes, if you're using a soft box you can add layers of diffusion fabric. Measuring with a flash meter will tell you how many stops each layer of your fabric is worth.

I you're using a small reflector, you can get neutral density gel sheets in various grades that clip onto the reflector. Clipping them on in an arch allows for air flow so they don't melt.

May 05, 2014 at 01:49 AM
pw-pix
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Reliable/repeatable way to reduce power on monoblocks with only 5 stop adjustment range

Thanks Brian, is the diffusion fabric supplied by the same companies that make softboxes and umbrellas? Or do you just get white cloth from a dress making sort of shop?

May 05, 2014 at 06:00 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Reliable/repeatable way to reduce power on monoblocks with only 5 stop adjustment range

It would be best to get it from a photo company, otherwise you may not get balanced white/gray and can pick up color shifts. You may get color shifts anyway, but they will be minor and fairly consistent, where fabric from the dress shop could be all over the place consistency and tint wise. I am not saying the dress shop won't work, just be prepared to work a little harder if you go that route.

Paul

May 05, 2014 at 08:55 AM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Reliable/repeatable way to reduce power on monoblocks with only 5 stop adjustment range

Get a few flags and scrims to modify the light. Using them to cut, soften and reduce light is standard for both films and commercial photography.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Steel-Fabric-Scrims/ci/1336/N/4062040408

May 05, 2014 at 09:32 AM
316shooter
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Reliable/repeatable way to reduce power on monoblocks with only 5 stop adjustment range

I would also suggest keeping sheets of Rosco or Lee neutral density gel in your kit. You can keep them in larger sheets and quickly clip to outside of a soft box. Or easily cut them to fit inside a box, or taped to a various sizes of dish reflectors, etc. I keep them labeled in ziploc bags in the lids of all my cases. Takes just seconds to find them and attach. Even with highly adjustable power supplies, there will always be instances where you may need to reduce output on specific lights.

May 05, 2014 at 06:56 PM
pw-pix
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Reliable/repeatable way to reduce power on monoblocks with only 5 stop adjustment range

Thanks Paul, Deezie and 316, that gives me some good options and ideas. Much appreciated everyone :-)

May 05, 2014 at 09:14 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.