New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Panasonic solves Onion Bokeh on Noctiron

FlyPenFly
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Panasonic solves Onion Bokeh on Noctiron

Great article

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/05/02/the-end-of-onion-ring-bokeh-panasonic-beats-the-curse-of-aspheric-lenses

Curious if you guys who own this masterpiece have examples of Bokeh circles?

May 04, 2014 at 09:08 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Panasonic solves Onion Bokeh on Noctiron

FlyPenFly wrote:
Great article

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/05/02/the-end-of-onion-ring-bokeh-panasonic-beats-the-curse-of-aspheric-lenses

Curious if you guys who own this masterpiece have examples of Bokeh circles?

Very interesting article!

I've not taken a lot of images with point light sources, but the few I have look great - no sign of onion bokeh at all.

May 04, 2014 at 11:35 PM
kwalsh
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Panasonic solves Onion Bokeh on Noctiron

Thanks for the link to the excellent article!

One possible issue in determining how much this helps is that in my experience there are plenty of lenses with aspheres that don't have onion bokeh. I suspect it depends a lot on the exact kind of asphere used (e.g. not all of them are molded) as well as its location in the lens.

Based on the article and experience clearly there are cases in which this new technique will help a lot, I'm just not sure onion bokeh was a universal curse of aspheres - there were other ways around the problem before this.

I'm always amused when people say "that lens isn't really a Leica, it was made by Panasonic" when clearly there are some things Panasonic does better than Leica ever could (and the other way around too of course). As the article pointed out there are Panasonic lens elements in a lot of other manufacturer's lenses.

May 05, 2014 at 08:00 AM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Panasonic solves Onion Bokeh on Noctiron

I donīt think Panasonic is the first company to achieve aspheres without onion rings - probably they are the first who implement this in consumer grade lenses.

MRF (Magnetorheological Finishing) polishing should do this since years, but I suppose not many consumer lenses got such lenses.
It is very common that lens manufacturers (even the companys with highest reputation) buy some lens elements from other manufacturers.
I talked with a German manufacturer of MRF polished aspheric lenses, and their customer list is amazing.

Whats MRF polishing:
https://www.qedmrf.com/polishing-fix/mrf-technology

@kwalsh, which lenses have aspheres without sometimes onion rings?
The onion rings are a reason why I am a bit unhappy with my Canon FD 85/1.2L and Zeiss Contax 35mm/1.4.

May 06, 2014 at 12:29 AM
Ed Sawyer
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Panasonic solves Onion Bokeh on Noctiron

"Canon FD 85/1.2L and Zeiss Contax 35mm/1.4."

Which debunks the whole linked article. Those lenses above were made with ground/polished aspherical elements. As was the EF 50/1.0L and EF 85/1.2L, which also exhibit onion rings. So, I think that nonsense from panasonic is not the whole story, and reads like PR bullshit.

May 06, 2014 at 04:07 PM
JonPB
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Panasonic solves Onion Bokeh on Noctiron

As much as I despair at Imaging Resource's recent trend toward yellow journalism, I think they got this one right.

I quote:
Until now, onion-ring bokeh has been a more or less unavoidable consequence of using aspherics in certain parts of lens designs...

(My italics.)

They go out of their way to avoid the idea that all lenses with aspherical elements exhibit this characteristic. I'm not sure what more they should have said to get the point across--there will always be lazy readers who erupt at their own misinterpretation of reality.

Regards,
Jon

May 06, 2014 at 04:17 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Panasonic solves Onion Bokeh on Noctiron

A bit harsh I'd say. This is a good read too on the potential causes of onion ring bokeh:

http://toothwalker.org/optics/bokeh.html

In general it says that even a non-aspherical design can exhibit this and seems to be very dependent on the lens production/manufacturing process used and is not necessarily associated with aspherical lenses only.

May 06, 2014 at 04:26 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Panasonic solves Onion Bokeh on Noctiron

Ed Sawyer wrote:
"Canon FD 85/1.2L and Zeiss Contax 35mm/1.4."

Which debunks the whole linked article. Those lenses above were made with ground/polished aspherical elements. As was the EF 50/1.0L and EF 85/1.2L, which also exhibit onion rings. So, I think that nonsense from panasonic is not the whole story, and reads like PR bullshit.

If you look at the comments and answers below the main article, you will see that this was addressed by the author.

May 06, 2014 at 04:49 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.