Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda, JimFox
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Candy like Patagonia

ArturS
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Candy like Patagonia

Congratulations to ArturS for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 13 votes - View Previous Winners

Some of you asked me if I had a photo from the morning following my "Otherworldly"shot. Here it is.

One thing that I love about Patagonia is its constantly changing weather. In reality it means that you never know what you are going to get. This was the case with this photo. After a 3 days long wait for conditions to improve, I captured this scenery. When I saw what was happening on the sky that morning, it was like a candy in my mouth. This photo was taken the same morning as my previous "Otherworldly" picture, but few hours later. A very strong wind, caused clouds to move rapidly. The light was constantly on the move influencing changes in the colour of the sky. When I was watching these quickly moving clouds, I feared that the light would never appear. I was really thrilled when for a few minutes the sky exploded with these candy like hues.
This photo shows the area of Salto Grande Rio Paine and Torres del Paine range. It was taken from a unique view point on the other side of the river, just across the most popular tourist view point.

Candy like Patagonia

May 05, 2014 at 01:41 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Candy like Patagonia

Hey Artur,

Now that is some very cool candy color skies! I like everything about the shot but that drop in the water in the lower right. I think the shot would have been so much stronger without that in it. Or if you liked that drop in the water, then moving more to your right to include more of it. Right now it feels so cut off it distracts from the shot. Did you shoot any compositions from more to the left?

Jim

May 05, 2014 at 02:22 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #3 · Candy like Patagonia

Artur. Beautiful shot.
You captured an amazing sky and it makes your image very special. I really like the way you compose this one but wish I could see more of the small water drop on the bottom right of the frame.
Fred

May 05, 2014 at 02:25 AM
JohnC
• •
p.1 #4 · Candy like Patagonia

Amazing shot of an amazing place. Is there a trail on that side of the falls, we were told that hiking off trail was strictly forbidden in the park.

May 05, 2014 at 02:51 AM
ArturS
• •
p.1 #5 · Candy like Patagonia

Thank you all for suggestions. Jim and Fred, it was quite difficult to compose shot from this spot. I was standing on top of rocks and moving to the left or right I would drop a few meters lower. The edge of the frame is where waterfall starts (you can see it in my previous post) and including it in this composition was not possible. The other factor was that the viewing platform with stairs and trails for tourists is located on the other side of the river, just outside the frame.
John, there is no trail to this location and the hike is quite long. And you are right, just like in most parks, going of the trail in Torres del Paine is forbidden. I'm wondering how many photographs would exist if we didn't brake this rule. Keep in mind that one of my general rules is to have no or minimal impact on the environment when hiking and photographing.

May 05, 2014 at 06:00 AM
roguecoolman
• • •
p.1 #6 · Candy like Patagonia

Arturs,

Another wonderful shot man! What an extraordinary scene. I see the point for the water spot on the right, but from what you told of the conditions you had to shoot in, it's a touch call. For me, I don't mind the water drop being too tight as the whole picture is just breath taking.

Jason

May 05, 2014 at 06:31 AM
ArturS
• •
p.1 #7 · Candy like Patagonia

roguecoolman wrote:
Arturs,

Another wonderful shot man! What an extraordinary scene. I see the point for the water spot on the right, but from what you told of the conditions you had to shoot in, it's a touch call. For me, I don't mind the water drop being too tight as the whole picture is just breath taking.

Jason

Many thanks, Jason. And thanks for understanding. It really was hard to get this shot and I don't belong to the "faint of heart." I figured that colours of the sky and water will take the attention of the viewers away from this water drop.

May 05, 2014 at 02:55 PM
Loren E
• • •
p.1 #8 · Candy like Patagonia

Phenomenal! Did using a TSE mean you didn't have to focus-stack for all that awesome DOF? Curious if this was just a single exposure...

May 05, 2014 at 03:24 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Candy like Patagonia

Awesome. I don't think anything needs to be changed. Perfect

May 05, 2014 at 03:52 PM
thw2
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Candy like Patagonia

This is so pretty! Totally love the colors and composition. When I was there, I wanted to get to the other side of this river too... but couldn't figure out how to do it.

May 05, 2014 at 04:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Candy like Patagonia

This is a breathtakingly beautiful image
Even if it is true, as Jim points out, that it might be improved by including a little more to the bottom right, on the other hand I would hate to see you lose those wonderful reflections in the water in that area
Also keep in mind that Jim is just jealous because he can't drive to Patagonia

Bob

May 05, 2014 at 04:23 PM
Peterk78
• •
p.1 #12 · Candy like Patagonia

Absolutely a stunning shot Artur! Just magnificent! Well worth breaking a rule, as you respected the environment and didn't have a trail of people following you.

May 05, 2014 at 04:29 PM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Candy like Patagonia

Outstanding image, Artur!

-Nick

May 05, 2014 at 04:53 PM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Candy like Patagonia

WOW! Just perfect!

May 05, 2014 at 04:59 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Candy like Patagonia

Amazing. I love the light in this one...

May 05, 2014 at 07:23 PM
kdacharya
• • •
p.1 #16 · Candy like Patagonia

beautiful, autur

May 05, 2014 at 07:51 PM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #17 · Candy like Patagonia

Bet that'll look great printed big!

May 05, 2014 at 09:11 PM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Candy like Patagonia

nice

May 05, 2014 at 10:15 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Candy like Patagonia

Very impressive photograph.

Interesting story. I moderate a "community" on Google Plus. (The "California and Western US Landscapes" community, in case anyone is interested.) Today a photograph was shared there by one of those posters—the type is well known to anyone who moderates any community—that was basically click bait. The photo looked familiar.

It was this photograph. Used by someone else.

Google and other image searches already show this photograph popping up on other web sites.

Dan

May 05, 2014 at 10:27 PM
dbehrens
• • •
p.1 #20 · Candy like Patagonia

AWESOME! Eye candy for sure! This deserves printing BIG!
Dave

May 06, 2014 at 01:19 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password