end

Archive 2014 · Sharpness of Canon 10-22mm

jimmy462
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sharpness of Canon 10-22mm

Evangelos Makris wrote:
Hello all and thank you very much for your time,

i did some quick tests again and i am sharing the results.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4NzVX_F84fIczJZemZrRFI5S00/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4NzVX_F84fIVm5OaDBiTEw4Q1U/edit?usp=sharing

The weather is not cooperating so right now,maybe it's the best test i can do.

Kind regards,
Evangelos

Hi Evangelos,

Looks like your lens is fogged up. What do you see when you put it up to your eye and look through it?

Jimmy G

May 04, 2014 at 09:20 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sharpness of Canon 10-22mm

Helen Oster wrote:
They 'pinched' our name, our logo, our website design.....

Ouch! (I would have said something stronger, but this is a family show . Helen, I know Greece is signatory to the intellectual property provisions of the EU. Have to be to join the EU. Has your management not considered it worth the time and effort to pursue recourse against these people? I don't know what they're called in Greek, but I'm sure they've got plenty of what we call lawyers. Seems to be a plague on civilization as we know it

Would seem that using your name and look could be potentially damaging to Adorama's reputation.

You guys - at least in my experience with you - work hard at maintaining the good will of your name. Would be sad if someone else - illegally - damaged it.

Robert

May 04, 2014 at 10:09 AM
Helen Oster
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sharpness of Canon 10-22mm

OntheRez wrote:
You guys - at least in my experience with you - work hard at maintaining the good will of your name. Would be sad if someone else - illegally - damaged it.

Robert

Apparently they tried, but..... BTW, this isn't us, either! http://www.adorama.co.id/

Maybe we should be flattered?

May 04, 2014 at 02:19 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Sharpness of Canon 10-22mm

Maybe Adorama should buy the Greek "Adorama." Pursuing TM and copyright infringement on foreign soil may cost more in time, heartache and legal fees than making an offer they can't refuse...

Edited on May 04, 2014 at 08:30 PM · View previous versions

May 04, 2014 at 02:22 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Sharpness of Canon 10-22mm

...no, no, that's alright, me and Evangelos will wait until y'all are finished...please...go ahead...

May 04, 2014 at 05:15 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Sharpness of Canon 10-22mm

Evangelos Makris wrote:
i did some quick tests again and i am sharing the results.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4NzVX_F84fIczJZemZrRFI5S00/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4NzVX_F84fIVm5OaDBiTEw4Q1U/edit?usp=sharing

The 10-22 does seem to be underperforming, especially in the lower left corner. I would send it back for an exchange or refund (make a note of the serial number just in case you get the same lens back).

May 04, 2014 at 06:43 PM
Evangelos Makris
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Sharpness of Canon 10-22mm

Hi to all,

i went out and did another test at 10mm f/6.3, manfrotto tripod, 10sec timer,manual focus.
This one is JPEG.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4NzVX_F84fIZ2pFS2tZSU5qbUE/edit?usp=sharing

What do you think?

The edges are softer than the center, but they seem "equally" soft to me and maybe this is something i should expect with UW lenses.

Thanks for your time,
Evangelos

May 05, 2014 at 04:10 AM
jimmy462
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Sharpness of Canon 10-22mm

Hi Evangelos,

I'm going to have to edit my previous comments on lens fog, that judgement was based on two things I had not considered while looking at the images on google's site. First, was my monitor's portrayal of the google drive rendering of your 10-22mm.cr2 RAW file. And second, what had also thrown me off were the lighting changes between that image and the 18-135mm.cr2 image...the soft shadow edges in the 10-22 image indicate that a cloud had passed over your proximate scene creating a bluish cast on the shadowed areas, the 18-135 image has sharp, detailed shadows indicating that the sun was shining directly on your proximate scene and the reflected sunlight into the shadows helped warm their color temperature. My apologies, no lens fog here.

So, I decided to download your files and run them through Canon's DPP software for a better look. And, yep, I'm not seeing fine focus in your 10-22mm images, either.

In my experience with this lens, it is not a stellar performer. Several years ago I did a three-way shootout with this lens (on a 7D) and a Sigma 17-35mm EX DG and a Canon 16-35mm II (on a 5D2) at select and comparable focal lengths and, hands-down, the 10-22mm was the "noticeably worst" performer of the lot. Center focus of the 10-22 never matched that of either the 17-35 or 16-35 and the corner and edge purple fringing and distortion were at their worst from 10-16mm with apertures wider than f/11.

What I am going to suggest is that you experiment with your 10-22 at narrower apertures than the f/5.6, 6.3 and 7.1 apertures in your shared images and see if that will give you acceptable results. Again, from my experience with this lens f/11 and above will likely help you with your center focus, but the edges and corners will still be suffering. wsheldon's f/10 and f/11 images elsewhere in this thread will bear this out...

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1291930/0#12322479

Clearly your 18-135mm is out-performing your 10-22 at f/5.6...and this comes as no surprise to me.

Now, in fairness to those who have met with acceptable results with this lens, maybe there have been some QC issues on Canon's end with this particular lens, and, maybe, it might be worth your while to send your copy back and try another. Who knows, maybe I'm just mistaken, again.

In the meantime you can check out the corners and edges in the wide-aperture full sized images and see what you think, here...

Full-size sample photos from Canon 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5:
http://www.pixel-peeper.com/lenses/?lens=12&p=1

...FWIW, I sent my 10-22mm packing...it's been on long-term loan to a friend...who, apparently has a higher threshold for pain than I.

Hopefully this was helpful.
Jimmy G

May 05, 2014 at 06:49 AM
krementz
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Sharpness of Canon 10-22mm

Helen, I was looking at your site, and do not see any information about your international "affiliates". I think you may want to put something in your FAQ, or even a separate left-menu item "International Sites", that strongly states that the adorama.com site is the only site, and that it is not related in any way to the NYC store. You don't have to name the specific Greek and other sites, merely be clear that only adorama.com is genuine.

It would be really annoying if some schmuck bought something expensive in Athens while on vacation and brings it back to you for credit or replacement. He then makes a huge stink all over the Internet about the how scammy you are.

May 05, 2014 at 12:14 PM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Sharpness of Canon 10-22mm

Good point - I'll raise this...while I've never had such a complaint you are right, it could happen...

May 05, 2014 at 12:36 PM
Evangelos Makris
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Sharpness of Canon 10-22mm

Jimmy,

I really appreciate your time and effort helping me.

I searched through pixel-peeper and i see similar results to mine.
So i wll keep the lens for now.Maybe i had higher expectations of my first expensive lens.

Warm regards,
Evangelos

May 05, 2014 at 02:41 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Sharpness of Canon 10-22mm

Evangelos Makris wrote:
Hello,

yesterday i acquired a Canon 10-22mm for my Canon 700d.

Today i tested it and i was a bit disappointed by its performance as far as sharpness is concerned.
I used a steady tripod and 2sec timer, manual mode with several shutter speed and apertures, all zoom range.

So far i have used a 18-135 STM and a 50mm 1.8 with this body and results were great.
I am new to photography and there may be something i do wrong (i wish this is the problem).
But comparing two shots of the same scene with the 18-135 and the 10-22, the difference in
...Show more

Hi, the 10-22 is a very good lens. It does start to go soft at f11 due to diffraction but it is usable at that aperture, at f16-f22 I would not use it. It is best to test it at f5.6 and f8. At 22mm it can be a bit soft in the extreme corners. Most people buy this lens to use it at the 10mm end so generally it is a non issue.

Remember that when using an extreme wide angle one generally craves for more and more resolution because generally when using a lens that wide one is photographing an expansive scene with lots of elements that each might occupy just a tiny bit of the frame. (blades of grass, leaves etc)

May 06, 2014 at 07:23 AM
markshelby
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Sharpness of Canon 10-22mm

I had the 3 lens combo in my crop-body days (10-22mm, 17-55mm and 60mm), and the 10-22mm held its own. For 17-22mm landscapes I preferred it to the 17-55mm because the 10-22mm had so little distortion and it seemed just as sharp to me.

May 06, 2014 at 01:07 PM
Evangelos Makris
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Sharpness of Canon 10-22mm

Hi guys,

i chose this lens against the Tokina 11-16mm because it is supposed to be more flare-resistant
than the Tokina.I really think it's a great lens for what i need it for.

I will run some more tests when the weather permits, and i just hope that everything is alright with my piece of glass.
I would really appreciate it if someone would suggest a reliable test for the lens.

So far i have been shooting a bookcase, roof view and balcony view and i'm not so sure this is the best way to check if it is underperforming.

About Adorama in Greece:

This was the first time i bought from them, and it was a good transaction.
Now that i am aware that it is not related to Adorama NY, i don't think i will ever buy from them again, because it is frustrating that they imply they are related.

Kind regards,
Evangelos

May 06, 2014 at 02:24 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.