3       end

Archive 2014 · Drones banned in Yosemite

Sneakyracer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Drones banned in Yosemite

NickHenderson wrote:
Maroon Lake?

Yep, Late september 2012. This was after a lot of people had already left. It was more crowded earlier in the morning :o

Jul 07, 2014 at 09:36 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Drones banned in Yosemite

Savas K wrote:
I’m not one for overregulation. But utopia is found in vacation spots such as historic Yosemite enveloped in the sanctity in which it was originally contemplated: An unspoiled visual and aural experience. Presently, a visitor can spend time and money to get there only to be confronted with near and far drones ran by the selfish.

Drones or not, Yosemite Valley is a complete Zoo during the summer. Drones flying around would make it worse obviously. Get away from the main trails and the main roads and there is solitude to be had.

Funny thing in the Alps I saw no regulations in place and no hiking permit system or quota of any kind and even in the VERY popular and spectacular places like around the Grindelwald / Lauterbrunnen and Interlaken areas the trails were very peaceful and clean even during the peak summer season.

Jul 07, 2014 at 09:40 AM
Savas K
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Drones banned in Yosemite

Yosemite could limit drones to specific days and in specific regions. Then the pilots will be duking it out as to whose drone showed up in whose drone shots. Maybe a lottery system will arise regarding time of day individual pilots will get assigned to and for what duration.

Jul 07, 2014 at 11:22 AM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Drones banned in Yosemite

Sneakyracer wrote:
I hear ya.

I don't get it?? Looks like a beach party to me

Jul 07, 2014 at 01:29 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Drones banned in Yosemite

Now please ban iPads in public spaces and Sony from the alt. forum.

Jul 07, 2014 at 09:24 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Drones banned in Yosemite

Paul Mo wrote:
Now please ban iPads in public spaces and Sony from the alt. forum.

YES!!, except for the Sony part

Jul 08, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Savas K
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Drones banned in Yosemite

Paul Mo wrote:
Now please ban iPads in public spaces

Yes! Every time I see iPads used to take pics, it reminds me of Charlton Heston's scene in the 10 Commandments, carrying the stone tablet overhead while coming down from the mountain.

Jul 08, 2014 at 06:12 PM
toddlambert
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Drones banned in Yosemite

I thought my sarcastic point was pretty simple. The act of outright banning drones, is just dumb. Just as dumb as banning DSLRs.

You might not like them, but they are going to be a mainstay just about everywhere going forward.

I am sure the same attitudes expressed in here, were echoed by painters versus photographers, or automobiles vs horses too.

Besides, the last issue we really need to worry about in NPs, is a few drones... (even all the horrible drone operators out there). And if it really is a concern, then make it a permit system as suggested. You don't just outright ban something that is perfectly legal, because you may feel offended by it.

As for ruining photographers shots and this asinine attitude that we as photographers are somehow better entitled to the use of our national parks, is absurd. I've seen this countless times and it's very evident in places like Delicate Arch. I mean if some couple wants to pay their entry fee to the park, hike all the way up there, and then wants to play frisbee... and it's ruining your overshot-me-too perfect sunset shot, well... too bad. They have just as much right to do that, as we do to line up and jockey for position (and all the unwritten gospel crap that goes along with that).

Maybe we should ban ultra wide angle lens in front of prominent stone formations - so as to make sure that other photographers with longer lenses are not offended.

Sorry, this is a pretty sharp rant I'm posting here, but I just really don't like it when people readily call for a ban on something just because they don't like it.

Jul 11, 2014 at 04:58 AM
toddlambert
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Drones banned in Yosemite

And yes.. I do have a drone (as well as big expansion plans for this new segment - just as soon as I can)

Jul 11, 2014 at 05:04 AM
BluesWest
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Drones banned in Yosemite

The act of outright banning drones, is just dumb.

No, it's not. By immediately banning drones outright, the problem is nipped in the bud. If the park service had waited, a political constituency would have developed over the issue, and banning drones, or even strictly regulating their use, would have become much more difficult.

As others have already stated, I hope an outright ban on drones is insitututed in ALL wilderness areas and parks, regardless of which government entities -- federal, state, or county -- oversee them.

John

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:39 AM
toddlambert
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Drones banned in Yosemite

Yeah, so instead.... just completely ban and shut down and entire fledgling industry - again.. because people have been manipulated by FUD.

I guess we should ban all remote control devices...

I bet all of you calling for banning, would have called for the internet to be banned too... because "people can steal your photos".

Kite flying with video cameras catch on... couple of videos of stunt kites coming dangerously close to hitting people on the ground - next thing, it's illegal to fly a kite in a national park.

Yup! That's progress for ya.

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:15 PM
Savas K
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Drones banned in Yosemite

Not for anything, but a plague of locusts comes to mind given the specter of widespread drones.

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:25 PM
toddlambert
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Drones banned in Yosemite

Savas K wrote:
Not for anything, but a plague of locusts comes to mind given the specter of widespread drones.

Same thing could be said about the entry of people into national parks and other even more sensitive locations.

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:30 PM
toddlambert
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Drones banned in Yosemite

If anything, drones might actually lessen the impact in some cases, as a lot of people will use drones to "hike for them" - thus reducing the amount of people on trails and damage done to areas.

I know that is a pretty stretched case there, but the same straw arguments are being used against drones too.

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:32 PM
tr8151

p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Drones banned in Yosemite

The utilization of a drone is to acquire the best photo, the most unique photo possible.

That being said I am heading out to Yellowstone for the first time. Should I bring an 80-400 lens with me, or is that too big a lens for most photos. Granted I know it depends on what I am shooting and from what vantage point, but just would like to know if it is a practical lens to bring and if it will see a good deal of utilization.

Thanks so much for your input.

Aug 07, 2014 at 08:50 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Drones banned in Yosemite

An outright ban is heavy handed, permits is a better option, then there is some level of control, I know some parks already require a permit for commercial photography.
http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/banff/plan/reglements-regulations/filming-tournage.aspx

Yet the public outnumber commercial use by 1000's:1
In the end, protection of the park & habitat should come first, or future generations will be coming to an interpretive center to see what a "Park" & "Wilderness" looked like.

Aug 08, 2014 at 02:36 PM
Savas K
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Drones banned in Yosemite

Multiple Drones in Yosemite are probably as invasive as a leaf blower in the suburbs.

Aug 08, 2014 at 06:09 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Drones banned in Yosemite

Drones are just plain dangerous as well as annoying. Maybe there should be a drone season to shoot them down legally.

EBH

Aug 08, 2014 at 10:49 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Drones banned in Yosemite

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/09/07/drone-hunting-licenses-sold-in-colorado-town-ahead-vote/

Aug 09, 2014 at 10:25 AM
ronald_t
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Drones banned in Yosemite

I guess drones will be banned everywhere in the near future (sad to say this, I lopve stuff like drones)

Aug 28, 2014 at 09:19 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.