New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Tamron 150-600 polarizing filter? Vivitar was terrible

Jim Scarff

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tamron 150-600 polarizing filter? Vivitar was terrible

I got this lens a few weeks ago, and have generally been very pleased with its sharpness, having shot 500 or so wildlife photos (whales, seabirds) with it on a Canon 7D and more recently on a 5D Mk III.

I recently bought a Vivitar Series 1 multi-coated 95mm circular polarizing filter to use with it, since the filter had good reviews and at around $90 it was much cheaper than the other alternatives which were closer to $200.

Looking through the filter with my naked eye it seems fine. However, on Wednesday I attached it to the Tamron for a day of whale-watching. ALL of the 100+ photos came out completely unusable (and I am not picky!). It was as if the filter scrambled the data and reassembled it with the texture of oatmeal. The photos were shot at high shutter speeds at ISO 500 on a Canon 6D with plenty of light. It was not a blur like movement from too slow shutter speed, or a missed focus - the whole picture was terrible.

I then just hand-held this filter up to my Canon 70-300 L and snapped some more photos and came away with the same dreadful, unusable outmeal-like mess.

Is this a problem with the Vivitar CPL filter generally? Have other folks had success using other brands/models of CPL filters.

May 03, 2014 at 09:44 AM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tamron 150-600 polarizing filter? Vivitar was terrible

I stick with Marumi polarizes ever since reading through lenstip.com's review of a whole boat load of different ones.

No clue about how cpls work with your 150-600. Just don't buy linear polarizers

May 03, 2014 at 10:32 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tamron 150-600 polarizing filter? Vivitar was terrible

And you are sure it is a Circular Polarizer?? Not a linear??

Karl
Can you post a picture

May 03, 2014 at 10:32 AM
woos
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tamron 150-600 polarizing filter? Vivitar was terrible

For a cheap but good one find a good deal on a Sigma one. They sell 95mm ones.

May 03, 2014 at 12:05 PM
Jim Scarff

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tamron 150-600 polarizing filter? Vivitar was terrible

I think I was aiming for the Sigma one, and got confused (it happens).

Here are links to some photos. The building shots are jpgs straight out of the camera. They are cropped and uploaded at 100%

1) with NO filter - shows the 150-600 is one sharp lens at about 60+ meters:
http://www.sfcelticmusic.com/js/with_no_filter.jpg

2) Same photo with the Vivitar filter Series 1 multicoated CPL filter:
http://www.sfcelticmusic.com/js/with_Vivitar_filter.jpg

3 & 4) Two photos in the field. Both were focused accurately on the subject with plenty of shutter speed. At 100% converted from RAW with no sharpening applied (wouldn't do any good)
http://www.sfcelticmusic.com/js/Fuzzy_cormorant.jpg
http://www.sfcelticmusic.com/js/Fuzzy_boat.jpg

May 03, 2014 at 02:56 PM
Jim Scarff

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tamron 150-600 polarizing filter? Vivitar was terrible

Marumi DHG Super Circular Polarizer CPL PL.D 95 95mm Filter is $235 at 2Filter.com. The B&W Kraseman is about the same price.

The Sigma 95mm seems to be around $122 but is only single-coated (Amazon). The selection of filters drops way off at 95mm!

May 03, 2014 at 03:11 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tamron 150-600 polarizing filter? Vivitar was terrible

Hi Jim,

The largest diameter CPL filters I use are B+W and Zeiss at 82mm, although my B+W EW actually has a 95mm front filter thread and associated glass size. They don't affect IQ very much, at all.

Karl's question about circular vs. linear CP is relevant for AF performance, but not so much for overall IQ, assuming it's in focus. Have you tried using manual focus in LiveView with the Vivitar filter? The general characteristics of your example photos could be just OOF; otherwise, the filter label should say "Soft", instead of "CP".

In the late sixties and seventies, Vivitar Series 1 lenses and fliters were generally pretty darn good. Usually as good as most equivalent OEM glass, in a few cases, better. Since then, Vivitar Series 1 has gone way downhill.

On the plus side, there is very little CA in your example images.

Have you noticed the weird artifacts in the boat photo? I've taken the liberty of annotating your photo, and posted it below. I hope you don't mind.

The two red arrows identify "hot" sun reflections on the forward hand rails. The yellow arrows identify some weird artifacts that I suspect are related to the hot spots, not from reflections on the hull from the water surface. Of course that's only a guess on my part. Do you have a similar "before filter" photo of the boat?

Cheers,
Jim

May 03, 2014 at 04:15 PM
bobsofpa
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tamron 150-600 polarizing filter? Vivitar was terrible

Are you kidding? A polarizer on this lens!!! This lens needs every scrap of light it can get. No way would I ever in my wildest dreams think of putting a polarizer on it.

May 03, 2014 at 06:21 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tamron 150-600 polarizing filter? Vivitar was terrible

Looks like an exaggeration of the effects people get when they put a UV filter on a 100-400 then call the lens crap.

Long lenses seem to have big issues with less than perfect filters.

May 03, 2014 at 06:53 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tamron 150-600 polarizing filter? Vivitar was terrible

bobsofpa wrote:
Are you kidding? A polarizer on this lens!!! This lens needs every scrap of light it can get. No way would I ever in my wildest dreams think of putting a polarizer on it.

Good for you. The OP lives in California and has plenty of light, along with plenty of unwanted reflections. Why do you think they make polarizers and why don't you think you can get a better image by using one under certain conditions

May 03, 2014 at 07:35 PM
Jim Scarff

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tamron 150-600 polarizing filter? Vivitar was terrible

bobsofpa wrote:

I hear you on that! Particularly when you set the aperture at f/8 like I try to do as much as possible. That is why I am teaming it up with the 5D Mk III now rather than the 7D so I can use a higher ISO.

A LOT of my photography is taken on whale-watching cruises, so I am out on the sea with large amounts of reflection off the water and a polarizer is a great benefit. I am wearing polarized sunglasses all the time (unless I am trying to shoot with a polarizing filter!).

bobsofpa - I think there may be problems using a polarizing filter slowing down the autofocus. It seemsed

For those who keep asking, the Vivitar IS a CIRCULAR polarizing filter, so that is not an issue. The pictures are not out-of-focus in that the focal point was in front or behind the subject. The focus was spot focus on the object and the exposure was fast enough to address camera movement. The autofocus is pretty quick without the CPL filter; maybe too slow for wildlife with it.

I am looking for other brave or stupid souls who have tried CPL filters on this lens and any success they have had.

Edited on May 03, 2014 at 11:58 PM · View previous versions

May 03, 2014 at 07:47 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tamron 150-600 polarizing filter? Vivitar was terrible

Of course the AF will be slower. It is like you are using an f11 lens, so the camera does not get enough light to allow efficient focusing. You have two solutions. Stop using a polarizer on an f5.6 lens, or just use one on an f2.8 or f4 lens.

May 03, 2014 at 09:15 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.