1       2      
       end

Archive 2014 · Zeiss Otus 1.4/55 vs. Zeiss Planar 1.4/50mm

macrobild
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Zeiss Otus 1.4/55 vs. Zeiss Planar 1.4/50mm

johnctharp wrote:
Most new lenses are 'lenses for the future', from Canon at least; Nikon, not as much, but they're not doing too bad. Same for Sigma's Art and Sport lenses.

well, some/all are inferior to Otus

May 06, 2014 at 01:54 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Zeiss Otus 1.4/55 vs. Zeiss Planar 1.4/50mm

Interesting. I am testing the Otus at the moment against the Sony FE 55mm and hope to receive my Sigma 50mm ART while I still have the Otus on loan.

May 06, 2014 at 02:32 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Zeiss Otus 1.4/55 vs. Zeiss Planar 1.4/50mm

macrobild wrote:
well, some/all are inferior to Otus

Sure- but most still outresolve the available 35mm sensors and have things like AF and IS/VR, both of which allow users to 'get the shot' where the Otus would produce very pretty bokeh over the entire frame.

The point is that while the Otus is an excellent example of an optical exception, it isn't the only one .

May 06, 2014 at 03:28 PM
macrobild
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Zeiss Otus 1.4/55 vs. Zeiss Planar 1.4/50mm

well, it is Otus, and with resolution/bokeh at 1,4 like none other.
and I use Leica, Hasselblad, Canon, Nikon,Sinar etc etc

May 06, 2014 at 03:56 PM
U.C.
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Zeiss Otus 1.4/55 vs. Zeiss Planar 1.4/50mm

johnctharp wrote:
Sure- but most still outresolve the available 35mm sensors and have things like AF and IS/VR, both of which allow users to 'get the shot' where the Otus would produce very pretty bokeh over the entire frame.

The point is that while the Otus is an excellent example of an optical exception, it isn't the only one .

They only outresolve these sensors in the centre (many f/1.4 lenses only stopped down). IS/VR isn't relevant for f/1.4 lenses, because there aren't stabilised f/1.4 lenses. If you want near Otus sharpness and f/1.4 and AF: Sigma 50/1.4 Art.

May 06, 2014 at 05:25 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Zeiss Otus 1.4/55 vs. Zeiss Planar 1.4/50mm

macrobild wrote:
well, it is Otus, and with resolution/bokeh at 1,4 like none other.
and I use Leica, Hasselblad, Canon, Nikon,Sinar etc etc

I'd agree- the Otus 55 lands in the negative only when concerning it's Zeiss-endowed vignetting, if you ignore size, weight, price, and manual focus only. I can't say much about the Hassys and the exotic Sinars other than that they tend to be very well executed 'classic' designs, but I doubt that they realize the combined level of acuity and correction that Zeiss has on a pixel-per-inch basis.

As for Canon, well- I'd love to see someone put the better Canon glass to the test using the A7R, assuming that they'd fully mitigated the effect that adapters can have on image quality. The 300/2.8 II, for example, might give the Otus a run for it's money .

And Leica- I thought they had a stupidly well-corrected 50 in M-mount?

May 06, 2014 at 06:05 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Zeiss Otus 1.4/55 vs. Zeiss Planar 1.4/50mm

U.C. wrote:
They only outresolve these sensors in the centre (many f/1.4 lenses only stopped down). IS/VR isn't relevant for f/1.4 lenses, because there aren't stabilised f/1.4 lenses. If you want near Otus sharpness and f/1.4 and AF: Sigma 50/1.4 Art.

Yeah, you're not going to get that kind of resolution and correction across the frame at f/1.4 outside of something like the Otus- Sigma's lens comes closest, and Sony's 'Zeiss-branded/approved' FE55 hits the acuity mark while falling behind on the corrections.

But there's nothing stopping someone from building a stabilized f/1.4 (or faster) lens for 35mm outside of the business case needed to make it happen, which doesn't really exist.

May 06, 2014 at 06:09 PM
Abuttolph
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Zeiss Otus 1.4/55 vs. Zeiss Planar 1.4/50mm

It would be nice to see a similar comparison between the Otus and the 50mm f2 Makro-Planar. This comparison between the Otus and the 50 mm f1.4 is very interesting and informative. Thanks for posting it.

Jul 19, 2014 at 09:41 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.