Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Vivitar 285 Question

Yamil R. Sued
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Vivitar 285 Question

Guys,

I'm a big fan of using low cost Vivitar 285's for Location Lighting, they work great on certain Situations like this one:

I picked up a old used 285 and it's NOT that Kosher.

Here are the Questions:

1- is it worth fixing, I can get them for about $80 new

2- If so, who does them??

Thanks

Y

May 02, 2014 at 10:57 PM
coreybell
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Vivitar 285 Question

You can get these on ebay 40 to 60 dollars,, probably not worth it to fix, depending whats wrong.

May 02, 2014 at 11:21 PM
coreybell
• •
p.1 #3 · Vivitar 285 Question

good use of off camera flash and mixing it with ambient by the way.

May 02, 2014 at 11:22 PM
Yamil R. Sued
• •
p.1 #4 · Vivitar 285 Question

It fires, but doesn't Charge all the way up to Green-Red Blink and only Fires in Full Power, other than that, it's OK

May 02, 2014 at 11:23 PM
Yamil R. Sued
• •
p.1 #5 · Vivitar 285 Question

Thanks

May 02, 2014 at 11:26 PM
Yamil R. Sued
• •
p.1 #6 · Vivitar 285 Question

Not bad as a backup, I only paid $15 for it!!

It fires, that's all that counts now

May 02, 2014 at 11:27 PM
markd61
• •
p.1 #7 · Vivitar 285 Question

If you are looking at flashes around $80 new the Yongnuos are a very ggod value. For $100 I got a Neewer flash with the LiOn battery and it is splendid.
The Vivitar is now made as a very non-premum Chinese flash with an old budget name. It is not what it was in the 70's when the original came out as a great value.

That role has been replaced by the growing ranks of decent Chinese flashes with new names like Yongnuo and Godox.

May 04, 2014 at 05:22 PM
Yamil R. Sued
• •
p.1 #8 · Vivitar 285 Question

Thanks,

I just discovered that the flash is actually doing the Trickle Charge, it's just NOT doing the Red-Green Blink

But still only fires at 100%

Oh, well, it goes into the Backup Pile!!

Y

May 04, 2014 at 05:26 PM
Chris Humphrey

p.1 #9 · Vivitar 285 Question

markd61 wrote:
If you are looking at flashes around $80 new the Yongnuos are a very ggod value. For $100 I got a Neewer flash with the LiOn battery and it is splendid.
The Vivitar is now made as a very non-premum Chinese flash with an old budget name. It is not what it was in the 70's when the original came out as a great value.

That role has been replaced by the growing ranks of decent Chinese flashes with new names like Yongnuo and Godox.

+1. I got one of these years ago and for years it was awesome. Never an issue. It finally died (maybe after 5 or 6 years.) Bought another one and it died after 2 or 3 weddings. They replaced it, and the next one died soon after as well. I'm guessing my first was before the Chinese took them over, and the other ones were after that.

Much better options nowadays. Yongnuo isn't terrible, I have one and it's OK, but I don't love it. I haven't used it, but I hear the LumoPro LP180 is amazing. You might want to check that out.

May 04, 2014 at 09:14 PM
Yamil R. Sued
• •
p.1 #10 · Vivitar 285 Question

Remember, I don't use these on Camera, they go on Stands with Grids or Soft Boxes and the are only used where space is a concern, otherwise, Alien Bees do what these do!!

But for $80, a 285HV doesn't suck!!

May 04, 2014 at 09:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Vivitar 285 Question

Yamil R. Sued wrote:
But for $80, a 285HV doesn't suck!!

Yep. I still have two of them, along with several Canon Speedlites, and I got my last one rather than a Yongnuo or some other newer model because I'm familiar with them and know what to expect.

I agree, though, that repairing yours is probably not cost effective.

May 05, 2014 at 12:38 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Vivitar 285 Question

Chris Humphrey wrote:
I got [a Vivitar] years ago and for years it was awesome. Never an issue. It finally died (maybe after 5 or 6 years.) Bought another one and it died after 2 or 3 weddings. They replaced it, and the next one died soon after as well. I'm guessing my first was before the Chinese took them over, and the other ones were after that.

Yeah, there were definite QC issues shortly after the Chinese company started making them. Recently made ones, though, seem to have ironed out the problems.

May 05, 2014 at 12:48 AM
Yamil R. Sued
• •
p.1 #13 · Vivitar 285 Question

I have four of the Late ones that I got from Adorama last year and they seem to work, I run them on the Ratio Portion and Full, They don't go on the Camera, they just go on a Flash Zebra Adapter with a Honeycomb Grid or on a Portable 20x20 Soft Box from Lastolite.

I would rather burn an $80 Vivitar than a $600 Nikon!!

Oh, yeah, I have burned a $600 Nikon in the past too

May 05, 2014 at 01:02 AM
Yamil R. Sued
• •
p.1 #14 · Vivitar 285 Question

FWIW, I don't need TTL, Auto or any fancy Computer Gizmo, I just want a simple Strobe I can control output on.

May 05, 2014 at 01:03 AM
Allynb
• • •
p.1 #15 · Vivitar 285 Question

Probably get 2 new ones for the cost to repair one.

May 11, 2014 at 07:21 PM
Yamil R. Sued
• •
p.1 #16 · Vivitar 285 Question

Ya, I figure that one out!! I gave it away!!

May 11, 2014 at 08:47 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #17 · Vivitar 285 Question

I had a set of three 285HV's I used with Lumedyne batteries for about five years. I sold the Vivitar's. And replaced them with Yongnuo YN560 II's, just having the illuminated LCD on the rear made my life so much easier. Plus the Yongnuo's have a lot more power control than the Vivitar's and I was still able to use them with my Lumedyne batteries for quick recycling.

May 17, 2014 at 01:07 PM
hk_mtbr
• • •
p.1 #18 · Vivitar 285 Question

Yamil - I took my old 283 and adapted a potentiometer, albeit an ugly solution. but it works in those special times. It makes for a super easy set up...of course no bells, whistles, just a knob/box connected by a bit of wire.

And I just couldn't throw it away. I bought it brand new just a few (~30) years ago

Joel

May 22, 2014 at 10:04 PM
Yamil R. Sued
• •
p.1 #19 · Vivitar 285 Question

Hey I still have flashes from those days man!! I can't get rid of them!!

They sell a variator for the 283, but it's expensive and it's like hens teeth!!

Ebay is full of good deals on the 285 and I trust it for those occasions when the Aliens Bees are not the right solution!!

Y

May 22, 2014 at 10:29 PM
Allynb
• • •
p.1 #20 · Vivitar 285 Question

Does it work to 100% with alkaline batteries? Your NC-3 pack may have seen a lot of charges in its life. Try the AA alkalines before you back-burner it. The Red/Green blink should come on with fresh alkalines.
Allan

May 30, 2014 at 10:28 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password