New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Digital Asset Management

blitzn
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Digital Asset Management

Somehow, back in the day when I was a newbie, and for the record I've only advanced to a 'teenbie', not quite yet an 'adultbie' ..... Anyway, back in the day I started down the post processing path with Capture 1. I've been very happy with it, maybe because I know nothing else ��. But asset management is not its strength, or at least I can't seem to get a workflow with its media one add-on.

So the question is for those of you who use a standalone asset management, what do you use and why?

May 02, 2014 at 03:14 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Digital Asset Management

You could export out of Lightroom to Capture1 or use the "Edit with" context menu item to do individual pictures or just use Lightroom standalone for asset management.

I've shifted over to using Lightroom to manage everything in one catalog: all my Raws, Work-in-progress, Processed (finished), Portfolios, and also for crops & resizes & watermarked copies of finished work.

Lightroom is very good, but far from perfect. I have beefs with some aspects of keywording and rating (among other things), though I use Lightroom every day, particularly for asset management. I export from Lightroom to Photoshop or GIMP for finishing work on the finest photos, but Lightroom development tools (post-processing) are quite powerful.

But if you want more advanced asset management and content management, there are expensive solutions that large companies use.

If you want content management for website, Drupal is the approach I would choose, but I haven't gone there yet (haven't downloaded or installed or tinkered). It's free.

I'm writing my own program to do ranking of photos. Currently I'm thinking I would add a metadata field for a decimal rating that is automatically generated (based on user ranking). I have ranking part and I just need to get Java to read and write metadata.

May 02, 2014 at 03:24 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Digital Asset Management

Another good program to use is DIM4 (free and highly configurable) which I use to read from the card reader and automagically change the name from the meaningless overlapping card names to YYYYMMDD-hhmmss.CR2. DIM4 files the images into folders Raw/YYYY/MM/DD. Then I import into Lightroom.

From that point on all files that stem from that image have that as the root and so I can find any image at any point in the process in Lightroom (and in folder hierarchies like WiP, Procd, Portfolios) just by sorting on filename.

May 02, 2014 at 03:52 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Digital Asset Management

I looked into this years ago and concluded that decent DAM software was far too expensive and complex for my purposes so I ended up simply ensuring I used a good file naming system anbd directory structure then just stuck with Adobe's options -- first Bridge and now Lightroom.

If I ran a studio with multiple users and servers then I might invest in something like Extensis Portfolio, but for just one person that's total overkill IMO.

May 02, 2014 at 04:10 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Digital Asset Management

Hey, since there is a forum related to post-processing and related stuff, you might want to post this over there:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/16

Good luck,

Dan

May 02, 2014 at 05:45 PM
blitzn
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Digital Asset Management

Yup! That would be the smart thing to do. Thanks Dan.

gdanmitchell wrote:
Hey, since there is a forum related to post-processing and related stuff, you might want to post this over there:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/16

Good luck,

Dan

May 02, 2014 at 07:44 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.