Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · If you had $3,000 to spend, what would you do?

IlliniFan99

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · If you had $3,000 to spend, what would you do?

I'd like to upgrade from my 60D. I shoot my kids sports, including low-light indoor basketball and outdoor lacrosse, some at night. Also take candids and portraits of my kids as well as landscape and vacation picks.

I feel like I'm currently set on glass as I have the following:

35MM f/2.0
85MM f/1.8
24-105 f/4.0L
70-200 f/2.8L IS USM MKII
70-300 f/4-5.6L

I'd like better high ISO performance as I'm having a hard time getting good images over ISO 3200. I also don't want to go backwards in FPS and would also prefer not to sacrifice the "reach" the crop body gives me, but am intrigued by FF for portraits and landscapes. Not sure I can get everything I want in one body so would consider going to two.

While I don't have a formal budget, I wouldn't feel comfortable going much over $3k as a hobbyist. A couple of options I am considering are:

Used 1DMKIV = $3,000
Used 5DMKIII = $2,500 - $3,000
Used or New 6D and 70D = $2,400 - $3,100
Refurb 6D and wait until rumored 7DMKII materializes = $1,400 + ?

Interested in what y'all would suggest or if there are other options I should be thinking about...

May 02, 2014 at 02:55 PM
matthewm
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · If you had $3,000 to spend, what would you do?

Since you do a lot of sports, the (almost) obvious choice would be the 1D4. However, the 5D3 is also highly regarded in terms of AF performance and it also has 6FPS, which is just a hair more than the 60D. If it were me, and I know it's not, I'd go with the 5DIII and put the extra $500 or so towards a 17-40 to round out your kit (you'd have 17-300mm covered and the 35/85 combo is killer).

I'll probably be hanged and quartered for saying this, but if you're always waiting around for the "next best thing" you're always just going to be waiting. My dad is notorious for this. He'll shop for a TV or camera or computer for 3 years. Hell, most modern electronics are outdated before you ever get them into the car.

Yes, a successor to the 7D is coming and you could wait for it. But, by that logic, there's a successor to all of the cameras on your list.

Go with the Mark III. I think you'd be happy with that. I have the 6D and the only thing lacking is the number of AF points and maybe the AF speed, but the fastest thing I shoot is a pug, or maybe an RC airplane, so it hasn't bothered me yet.

For what it's worth, pugs are faster than they would appear to be.

May 02, 2014 at 03:05 PM
pKai
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · If you had $3,000 to spend, what would you do?

1D4 all the way.

Nothing matches it for sports and action (sorry 5D3 owners) except the 1DX at twice the price. With your glass, you also need all the reach you can get. 1.3 is not as good as 1.6, but way better than 1.0 (full frame).....

Used excellent condition samples can be had for under $3k easily.

Edited on May 02, 2014 at 03:09 PM · View previous versions

May 02, 2014 at 03:06 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · If you had $3,000 to spend, what would you do?

Keep the 60D for when you need it, grab the 6D, and prepare to be amazed at what your glass can actually do .

I upgraded from the 60D, by the way- 5.3FPS to 4.5FPS isn't that big of a jump, and the 'lesser' AF setup in the 6D is actually far more capable due to the best in class center point, which can AF in light darker than you can accurately see through the viewfinder.

If you want, wait for the 7D II, though it's likely to cost more than the 6D, -or- trade in your 60D for a 70D + 18-55 IS STM for video. Note that the 60D, 70D, and 6D all have a very similar control setup, and are all the same basic size and the exact same weight (somehow).

May 02, 2014 at 03:09 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · If you had $3,000 to spend, what would you do?

Before you move to a 1D body; if you haven't held one, used one, get to your local camera store and try one out. They are amazing cameras, have fantastic AF and weigh 2plus times more than your 60D, their control control layout/usage is quite different than non-gripped bodies; sans the 1D1V AND EOS3 film bodies.

My choice would be lighter and newer, first a 6D to see if FF will satisfy your non sports related needs/wants. Then think on your next crop body move, a 70D will get you much better AF and 7FPS, a lighter body with the same control layout and Canon's latest sensor tech. Both bodies have great high ISO capabilities as well. Or wait on the phantom 7D2, I've a 7D and it is quite nice for 'daytime' shots; surfing, wildlife, kids outdoor sports, it's not the greatest for evening events IMHO...unless flash and/or good lighting is available.

As for the brick, the 1DMk4, I've a 1DMk2N and really enjoy it's AF capabilities and lower MP count. They are heavy beasts but what a feel they have. The 1DMk4, if you need/want that kind of power, 21MPs, 10FPS, absolutely killer AF and with the 1.3x crop factor a bit more reach than FF...spoil yourself and get a pro body. The only downside, if you can call it that, is it's higher ISO performance, the 6D, 5D3 and 70D are all cleaner above 6400.

If you want a 'single' body solution there's always the 5D3 which can wear most any hat, except when extreme weather is involved. The 6D and 5D3 sensors are very close IQ wise, with a slight edge going to the 6D; cleaner shadows and higher ISOs.

There are so many choices, look closely at the images you create, and try to match camera features to the group/subject/light you shoot most...good luck with your choice!

Jerry

May 02, 2014 at 04:13 PM
jrscls
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · If you had $3,000 to spend, what would you do?

Add a 6D, which will be great with your lenses, and it will only consume half of your budget. Spend the rest on something else for your family, perhaps a vacation to take pictures.

May 02, 2014 at 04:19 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · If you had $3,000 to spend, what would you do?

In reality, you would likely be very, very happy with a 7D.

May 02, 2014 at 04:24 PM
bwchase

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · If you had $3,000 to spend, what would you do?

Lots of good advice. Kind of in the same boat, last week purchased a 1d mark iv. Steep learning curve but so far worth it many times.
Will be replacing a 7d. Love the 5d mark 11 but in my new found enthusiasm the 1d works very well all around.
Do notice the shorter reach on birds in flight.
Good luck. Great pair!

May 02, 2014 at 04:27 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · If you had $3,000 to spend, what would you do?

If you can wait, the refurb 6D and potential 7D2 is a nice combo that covers your varied interests. Pixel density on the 5D3 and 1D4 is pretty close but the 7D is way out in front and a 7D2 could push that even farther. If you need all the reach you can get the 7D2 is the way to go.

May 02, 2014 at 04:32 PM
Don Clary
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · If you had $3,000 to spend, what would you do?

The 1DMk4, if you need/want that kind of power, 21MPs

16.1MP

May 02, 2014 at 05:07 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · If you had $3,000 to spend, what would you do?

pKai wrote:
1D4 all the way.

Nothing matches it for sports and action (sorry 5D3 owners) except the 1DX at twice the price. With your glass, you also need all the reach you can get. 1.3 is not as good as 1.6, but way better than 1.0 (full frame).....

Used excellent condition samples can be had for under $3k easily.

OTOH 5D3 would help him more for the night game and indoor basketball high ISO issues.

For lacrosse a used 300 2.8 sometimes with 1.4x TC might be nice.

May 02, 2014 at 05:31 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · If you had $3,000 to spend, what would you do?

gdanmitchell wrote:
In reality, you would likely be very, very happy with a 7D.

The AF on the 7D just doesn't match the 5D3 or 1D4 for sports, no way, no how (unless you are talking surfing). 7D2 might be a different story.

May 02, 2014 at 05:32 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · If you had $3,000 to spend, what would you do?

jrscls wrote:
Add a 6D, which will be great with your lenses, and it will only consume half of your budget. Spend the rest on something else for your family, perhaps a vacation to take pictures.

Do we have any solid reports on how it does for sports AF though? I know they removed the center point assists which had been pretty critical on the 5D2 for sports. And what size is the 6D buffer?

May 02, 2014 at 05:33 PM
carrg1954
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · If you had $3,000 to spend, what would you do?

You want an all round camera. I would suggest you get a 5diii, and keep the 60d.
You have 300, so no real need to get something else.

May 02, 2014 at 05:48 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · If you had $3,000 to spend, what would you do?

Don Clary wrote:
16.1MP

TY Don, I was just looking at a 1Ds3, my bad

May 02, 2014 at 06:29 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · If you had $3,000 to spend, what would you do?

skibum5 wrote:
Do we have any solid reports on how it does for sports AF though? I know they removed the center point assists which had been pretty critical on the 5D2 for sports. And what size is the 6D buffer?

Can it shoot sports; indoor or out, day or evening...just browse through this thread, there are a few interesting sports images with info

The 6D "Shut Up and Shoot" Thread
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1176041

May 02, 2014 at 06:35 PM
matthewm
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · If you had $3,000 to spend, what would you do?

One thing to think about is whether or not you will ever want to shoot video. The 1D4 doesn't have the ability to do this. You may never need that functionality, but the 5D3, 7D, 6D, 70D and 60D can all shoot video.

Also... I had a 7D for a short while and never did love the images from it. The AF rocked. The video rocked. Functionally, it was a rockstar of a camera, but I just didn't love the sensor for stills.

My 6D is darn-near perfect for my needs. For yours, the 1D4 or 5D3 will probably more than suffice, lest you need video. Hanging onto your 60D isn't a bad idea at all, though. Then, if you ever need video, it's there.

May 02, 2014 at 08:32 PM
MarcG19
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · If you had $3,000 to spend, what would you do?

IMO, I'd get the 1DmIV for the sports. Second choice would be the 5DmIII. Third is to wait until fall (imo the earliest) for the 7DM2, if you wanted to save money, and if you can live through the spring with the 60D. But the 1DmIV ought to have the better AF than 7DM2, and though I've never used the Canon 1D series the Nikon equivalents rocked - awesome cameras, especially for action.

As an aside, I might swap the (imo redundant) 70-300 for a 300f4. I'd also keep the 60D as a more casual camera, or (more likely) swap it for an SL1.

May 02, 2014 at 09:03 PM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · If you had $3,000 to spend, what would you do?

How about a 1D MKIII and 6D? Should be able to swing both for $3,000.

May 02, 2014 at 09:21 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · If you had $3,000 to spend, what would you do?

I wait for 5d4

May 02, 2014 at 09:21 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.